NF stilly, an experience of a lifetime(not)

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Whitey, Oct 8, 2002.

1. Whitey

Whitey Active Member

Media:
    Went up to the stilly this morning with MacRowdy. Fished for an hour, nothing. Then, Old Man (Jim) shows up to show us wipper-snappers a thing ot two. Now, most of you know Jims recent streak of no fish. First cast, Fish On! Decent SRC, plays the fish, gets it to within 5 five. Gone. LDR's the little sucker. Never heard so many swear words. Jim has the mouth of a trucker. Kept fishing. MacRowdy puts on a clinic on how to catch smolt. One after another. Sucker. We all move down to the next spot. Fishin, BS'n, Carrying on about this and that. Boom, YT hooks a nice little SRC, about 12". faught hard though. MacRowdy and Jim continue the fine art of Smolt catching. what a day. beautiful river, nice scenery, three dudes swearing up a storm, flippin each other crap. Nice. :THUMBSUP YT

2. DW

DW New Member

Mac and Old Man -

Number one reason you didn't catch fish......

.....you had Whitey with ya. Next time, leave the kid at home. ;)

- DW

Anyway....where did y'all go. I had some luck a few weeks ago with the steelies, though we hiked so far in, we had to catch a ride from some stranger that was camping with the fam. When I say hiked to far...I mean about 6 miles from Fortsen. UGH.....

3. Whitey

Whitey Active Member

Media:
    They caught fish. thousands and thousands of smolt. Nice big fat 3 inchers. :EEK YT

4. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    What do I know---I'm just an old man

What about that White Fish you caught. Why didn't you mention that one,Huh. Wait I just thought. It was Macrowdy that caught that sucker.

I had a good time with those two guys. Whitey the one that can't tie a surgeon's knot with florocarbon. And Macrowdy who doesn't know how to shut up. He told me that he is writing a book and I told him to kiss my you know what and make a love story out of it.. I tried to hold my ranting and raving down to a minimum but I don't think it worked.

I stopped at my creek on the way home and all I saw was a salmon trying to spawn. I was told that my creek had fish in it, but according to me it doesn't. I'm still batting a 1000 there. My bad luck is still holding there.

I have one more day to give it a shot so I will go back to that spot one more time. The way I see it is that if I don't hook and keep it on until I get it in I don't have to put it through all the trouble of catch and release.

See you all soon

Jim :COOK

5. MacRowdy

MacRowdy Idaho Resident Craftsman/Artisan

Media:
    Home Page:
    Alright boys,

So Whitey and I are smolting it up and here comes Old Man Jim onery as an old Griz with a toothache, and cussing up a storm. You've never heard such blasphemous words. This guy can swear hahahaha. He comes over and introduces himself and he looks at me and says: "Yep that must be MacRowdy. You look just like your pictures, like your about 85 years old!" He thinks he's pretty funny. hehehe So anyway, He continues to complain: "I haven't caught a fish in 10 years... etc... Etc..." and no sooner does he get his line wet then Bam fish on. I am laughing and stumbling up to take a hero shot of the old guy and he decides to LDR the beauty. And I tell you it was a beauty. It looked the color of the changing leaves. (I slap myself as I wax poetic).

Every time I open my mouth he grumbles: "Smart A**." hahaha. Yes Jim, I totally am and this is just the beginning.

Let me give you some good Jim Quotes from today's fishing: "Ah my back,!@# oh it aches!@#... I can't catch a !@#!@#!@#thing, I got the !@#!@#shakes,!@# I have a broken rib, I'm on percocet, I need to !@#!@#lay down, I can't see so good, I'm so old, I can't remember... I can't seem to recall ~!@#$%%%%%%%&*(!!!!!!!! I lost my sunglasses, did it once before but I retrieved them. Ah Hel!@#l, Oh here!@# they are.... I'm so old I can't reach down and pick them up.(Whips out his numchuck wading stick like someone had a death wish) !@#Oh I knew this stick was good for something, look at this! I got my sunglasses! I need to change flies, I better go sit down. I need a log to rest my !@#!@#!@# a** on." I tell you it was pure entertainment!

Subsiquently Jim did you happen to teach BOBLAWLESS's Parrot how to talk?

I think we should have a smolt tournament. You know, no salmon or steelhead or src's just a straight up smolt off!

Hey Old man, remember you told us to go to the Chevron down the road because it had a deli and Whitey was hungry? Well thanks! Those Jalepeno poppers I got are bubbling and gurgling up my craw as I type. Thanks, you trying to kill me or something!? Serves me right I guess, I mean honestly, who buys Jalepeno Poppers from Chevron?

MacRowdy

6. Whitey

Whitey Active Member

Media:
    Best post ever. pure hall of fame. those poppers are kickin in a homeboys gut. I now know why you were trying to pawn those spicy bastards off on me. thanks. YT

7. Cutthroat_Fight

Cutthroat_Fight New Member

HEH you guys are killing me!

8. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:

Do you carry a tape recorder with you every place you go. You almost got me down word for word. But with all of the other junk you carry. Who can tell what you have on you. You sound like that BOB GUY on what he has in his vest.

Does his parrot need lessons?

I glad you got all those good things to eat.

Jim (bad mouthing old man) :TONGUE

9. MacRowdy

Media:
    Home Page:
    Oh Jim Jim Jim,

That was only part one my friend. I told you it was just the beginning. Oh and yes it get's better.

Whitey: (Yells up to us as he dissapears around the bend 200 yards downstream.) "Come down!"
    Jim: "*&&$*@!! You are Crowding me you !@#$%bastard! Move out of my water!"
    (I start laughing my head off as I move down a few feet.)
    Jim: "Now that's more like it @#$%^! You know, I got 50 caddis fly's in this box and 200 wet flies in this box (holding up different consecutive boxes) I've got an 100 streamers in this here one....etc.. etc... But I don't use anything but these here stimulator and royal wulfs. All I ever use are dries."
    (I decide to move on down to Whitey and Jim grumbles something about needing to lay down again. I mention my plan to move down and he says:)
    Jim: "I'll be down in a couple of hours."
    (I tromp on down.)
    Whitey: "Where's Jim?"
    Macrowdy: "Oh he'll be along in a couple of hours... needed to lay down again."
    (We start smolting again and periodically Whitey mentions:)
    "I better go check on Jim."
    MacRowdy: "Yeah he sure is an ornery old Codger."
    Whitey: "Yeop."
    (About 20 minutes later we see Big Old Jim lumbering down like an enormous brown bear with soar feet.)
    Jim: "Ah, MY !@#$@#%$#!@#%$*(*( ##$% $@#$%$#$#@@$% ))*()*(_*()^%#@#@#$$@$$$%#$@@@#$%^$@%@$%$#@$#### Back is killing me... Not to mention my @#$%@#$%%#$$#@# Broken Rib!"
    (Whitey and I keep on smolting as Jim takes little Jabs at us. Such as: "Whitey? What kind of a @@$%T%$#^% name is Whitey? I don't see anything white on ya!?"
    Whitey: "...My last name is WHITE JIM! And MacRowdy's initials are MAC and he is just plain ROWDY!"
    Jim: (Under his breath)"Well @#%@ son of a @$$@! Smart A$$! So where do you work MacRowdy?
    MacRowdy: "Work?"
    Jim: "Well you gotta do something."
    MacRowdy: "Na I'm done working."
    Jim: "Well I'm retired and I'm on all kinds of percocet. They don't do anything for me except make me sleep."
    MacRowdy: "Wanna trade some sleeping pills for Percocet!?"
    Jim: "Hell no! You !@#$%^ Smart A$$!"
    MacRowdy: "UH, Just kidding."
    Jim: "So what the hell DO you do?"
    MacRowdy: "Nothing. I am writing a book."
    Jim: "Well why don't you kiss my A$$ and turn it into a love story?"
    MacRowdy: "hahahahah um yeah ok, tempting... NOT!"
    Jim: (out of the blue) "I'm not cold. I never get cold. I wear these not breathable bear waders so I can sweat and lose a little weight. But I haven't sweat all day!."
    MacRowdy: "That's because it's kinda cold out Jim."
    Jim is wearing a short sleeve shirt, paper thin non-breathable bear waders, a hat to cover what I am sure is his wrinkly bald head, and a pair of Top Gun Maverick Sunglasses. I've got on long johns breathable bears and my Magic moth eaten Hemingway wool sweater. (It's magic because whenever I wear it I pick up heaps of chicks.)
    MacRowdy: "Well Jim if you wanted to sweat you should have worn more clothes."
    Jim: "Na it's just not cold enough."
    That's when I think "Ah the discriminating mind of an old belligerent Grizzly Bear."

Much love Jim.

~MacRowdy

10. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:

That's quite picture of me, and I thought that I was real nice to you old boys. Wait until you really get me going.

I went there this morning boy, it was a little colder so I put on some sweat pants and a sweat shirt. I got so hot I had to take that sweat shirt off. Question,why do they call those things sweat shirts. You put them on like a sweater,over your head. A shirt is what you put your arms thru and it has buttons on it. I think that they should be called sweat sweaters. I left the sweat pants on as it was too hard of a chore to get them off. It was a good thing that I left my pants on as it was cold there and it never got any better. Besides the water was cold also.

Well so much for sunshine we probally won't see it again until spring. I see it's trying to rain again. But,but for all this rain that we have had the river hasn't come up at all. So I must like it.

Jim

11. MacRowdy

Media:
    Home Page:
    Jim,

Question is, did you catch your SRC?

MacRowdy

12. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    Ferrchissakes!!!

I was entertaining fishing with you guys but after reading this, Hell, I'd have to wear Depends after I piss my pants laughing. Any of you crazy bastards gonna be around this weekend? I turn 50 on Sunday and my lovely bride gave me a weekend kitchen pass. I was going to go grousing on Saturday and hit Lone Lake on Sunday. But. I'm beginning to think sitting riverside watching you all would be a hoot.

13. MacRowdy

Media:
    Home Page:
    Ferrchissakes!!!

Roper,

We are going to Chopaka. Don't ya'll worry, we're going to make a movie while we're out there with my digital camera. But yeah get your depends on and let's hit it up sometime soon. Wanna have a smolt off?

MacRowdy

14. miked

miked New Member

Media:
    any of you funny guys have a red toyota 4 runner?

15. Whitey

Whitey Active Member

Media:
    That would be me, the great white hope -a.k.a. Whitey. Are you the guy in the pontoon boat I talked to, telling me about Royal Wolfs?

16. MacRowdy

Media:
    Home Page:
    Ferrchissakes!!!

Roper, Come to Chopaka. It's a drive but it will be fun.

MacRowdy

17. Whitey

Whitey Active Member

Media:
    Ferrchissakes!!!

Go to lone, let us know how it was. Went two weeks ago, landed 4. It was still a bit agleaish, but should be good by now. I have a secret Lone lake pattern. I'll Email you. Unless you wanna drive 6 hours? Probally not.

Macrowdy has so much damn video equipment, It should be a good film.

18. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:

Yes. I had another answer worked out in my head but being as old as I am I forgot it.

I think I have my shakes thing figured out. I pre-tie up the flies that I want to use with leaders and keep them in a Pips container. I did that to about 20 flies and now I will see how it works. That is on the small flies. The bigger ones I just wrap a rope around them. It works. Since I have so much time on my hands and that river is so close I think I will go back and try it all out. I have a very strong magnifying glass that I use for tying them in the first place.

Jim :LOVEIT

19. MacRowdy

Media:
    Home Page:
    Ferrchissakes!!!

"Hi My name's Whitey, I've got a secret lone lake fly I will e-mail it to you!" Um yeah Whitey, sure you do.

More Dialog from Yesterday:
    "Hi my names JIM I'm an Old Man. I live 17 miles from the Stilly! Did I happen to mention that I live only 17 MILES from the STILLY!? Since I live so close to the STILLY I think I will go there tomorrow and lay down on the side of the river. Last time I did that I got up all by myself! I am pretty proud of that. And I have this lethal weapon numchuck walking stick that folds up and then unfolds with a SHHHWik! It comes in handy for fishing things out of the river that I drop."

MacRowdy: "Hey Jim you wanna peek into my secret fly box?"
    Jim: "Hell NO! What would I wanna do that for!"
    (Takes a peek anyway.)
    Jim: "You are so damn neat and organized. I hate that! I hate neatness. If I had my flies that neat I would go crazy!" (opens up one of his 50 boxes and flies start spilling out.)

I think to myself: "yep he's not kidding." And after he showed me how cool it is to put your flyrod into the back of your subaru legacy/fishmobile without breaking it down, I think to myself (he sure does hate neatness!" Finally he adds triumphantly:
    "You know those roads that are all bumpy and you should only go on them with a 4 wheel drive?"
    MacRowdy: "Yeop."
    Jim: "Well I always drive on them with this subaru. I can take it anywhere!"

MacRowdy

20. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Ferrchissakes!!!

Macrowdy,I just noticed that your story that your telling is starting to go away from the truth. Your starting to add things that are not there. I gave you all the facts but now you getting them mixed up.

Quit trying to make me out to be a saint. You just saw my good side, wait until you see my bad side.

Jim