NF stilly report

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Whitey, Oct 5, 2002.

1. Whitey

Whitey Active Member

Spent about 6 hours wading and walking on the NF stilly today. Spiders, Reverse spiders, any color, and creative variations were working well. It was awesome, perfect river weather-rain, rain, and more rain. I would highly recommend this one. had a blast, sore legs, sore arm, but worth the effort. :THUMBSUP YT

2. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

What do I know---I'm just an old man

I'm going tomorrow. Any good places to start or at all the usual spots. Always looking for some place new to get on a river at.

I'm not against walking,just climbing down to get some place.. Need to let the ribs heal just alittle more before any heavy exersize.

Jim

3. Cutthroat_Fight

Cutthroat_Fight New Member

I am also going tomorrow..see you on the river Old Man..Thanks for the report Whitey! :BIGSMILE

4. Peter Pancho

Peter Pancho Active Member

Uh, what are you guys catching? Mostly Steelhead or Cutthrout?

"Follow Me and I will make you fishers of Men"
    Matthew 4:19

5. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Well I don't know what they are doing,but when I go out it's called fishing. What I'm seeing is that everyone out there is going catching. Right now most of what's in there I think is sea runs.

Is that area down around xxxth a secret or does everyone know about it but me.

Just look for an old fat man in blue Bare waders. Looking like a beached blue whale. But if it cools down I'll be in some Hodgmans,green.

Got this from the janitor, try Royal Wulff's. Heard they work.

Jim

6. Rob Blomquist

Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

And what was the water like? clear, cloudy, downright muddy?
    ---------
    Genetic pollution damages wild
    stocks, bonk those Hatchery Zombies!

7. Whitey

Whitey Active Member

with all this lovely rain, sort of brown, but not bad. totally wadable though, I walked across the river all over the place. yes, I did have my CO2 infaltable vest on. I always do....YT

8. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Heard it was clear. The rain didn't make it bad,and I heard that it didn't even raise any. I gues that a little rain is just like no rain except it makes the grass turn green again.

Jim

9. papafsh

papafsh Piscatorial predilection

I was there on Friday morning, playing a little hooky from work. I did not catch anything at all and I was there from before light till about 11:30 AM. The water below Oso was brown, kinda like tea. The water from Oso and above was in great shape. Whitey, I'm only guessing but you must have been catching SRC's, right? Anyway, I was up at Reiter today, tried the cable hole white water area, nothing! Saw a guy puttin on a real clinic on the hatchery side in the rapids section between the "pond" and the cable hole. Watched him c&r three nice steelies, he was using drift gear :REALLYMAD

Hey Jim, I'll bet you are itchin' to try that new Versi-tip line, good luck and don't be doin' any fallin' down now, ya-hear!
    :BIGSMILE

10. Whitey

Whitey Active Member

yep, SRC's and steelhead smolt. they must like the same water. lot's of steelhead smolt. I've been to reiter so many times, I feel like I live there. The old cable hole, know it well. I was use'n a five weight with clear Intermediate sink lake line, worked good in the river! YT :THUMBSUP

11. Rob Blomquist

Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

Which hole do you guys call the Cable Hole on the river? That's a new name to me.

Rob
    ---------
    Genetic pollution damages wild
    stocks, bonk those Hatchery Zombies!

12. Whitey

Whitey Active Member

Cable hole on the skykomish is below reiter ponds. If you take reiter road, before you get to the hatchery right turn there is a gravel pit business? of some sort. There is a gate with no truspassing signs everywhere. I always see guys parked their though. a little trail leads down to the river. On the other side you can either walk up from high bridge or down from the other(non-hatchery side) of reiter. hope with helps, it's no secret or anything. Am I going to see you at Chopaka next weekend? :THUMBSUP YT

13. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Well I went to the N/Fork today but I didn't fish. I just went to check out some things. Found what I was looking for. So I'm going to go tomorrow but don't know what time I'm going. Some time in the AM.

The river was clear where I was at and that was down by Trafton. Went farther up river just to see if I could see any fish. Saw a few at C. Post road,then drove up as far as Hazel. Saw nothing. Went down to the lower river,Silvana area and the river was dirty. Seen lots of rises below the R/R bridge. Is the S/Fork spitting out mud again.

Not quite ready for that 8 wt. Too stiff for 6" fish. Probably never feel them on there and back cast them into the woods. But I will try it out soon. I might go out to the clave that they are trying to set up and give it a go there.

If some idiot was fishing with drift gear I hope some one told him it's not open yet for that kind of fishing yet.

14. Cutthroat_Fight

I fished the Stilly today..although we saw a bunch of fish from the C-Post Road bridge we caught nothing :SAD There was a small plane patroling the river..fish and game perhaps?

I looked for a guy in blue waders with a broken rib, but no luck. What time were you at C-Post Jim?

Flies: Royal Wulff, Reverse Spider (Yellow and White).

brian

15. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Like I said in the above post. I was there but didn't fish. It was about 1:00 when I was there and there was a guy fishing below the bridge. When he was up stream they(the fish) were down stream and when he came down stream they went up in to the hole that was deep and dark.

As I was leaving some guy with his girl friend/wife showed up and they were setting up to go fishing. You aren't any of them were you.

Well I was going to say that I went out today and tried that area down by Trafton. Down where everybody launches their pontoon boats from.

I fished that hole just above the launch area. I tried Stimulators,Patriot,few hits. Switched over to a sinking leader and put on a big yellow streamer,had a hit but I wasn't paying attention. Switched back to a floating line. I deceided that I would fish my way down stream to my car and then call it a day. I finelly put on a royal wulff. Must have been a good choice. Had one on but as I was stripping it in it started to run so as I was trying to get it on the reel it got off. I almost lost my cherry today.

Who knows I might go back there tomorrow as It is only 17 miles from my house.

Had a little time left before I had to get home so I went over to Jim Creek. My luck is still holding there also.

Well enough of this babbling Jim

16. Whitey

Whitey Active Member

Alright jim, we gotta get you on some fish. I'll be at the spot we've been discussing in the A.M. Look for a red Toyota 4-Runner. I'll hook ya up with some new SRC patterns I've been working on. Were gonna end your streak, I promise.(well, I Hope)YT

17. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I must be losing my mind. I just typed up a answer and then deleted it. Some brains HUH. Well to try it again.

I will be there tomorrow again but it won't be until about 10:00 AM. Have to get kids off to school and then make sure they stay there. But if you want to wait until Wednesday,I have all day and can be there at any time.

Jim

18. Cutthroat_Fight

How was the Stilly today Jim?

19. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

The water is clear,it was foggy all day,like a steady light drizzle. But other than that I would say it was a good day. How come you didn't answer my questions ?

I got to go now as I have to finish making supper. Ribs and I can smell them now.

Jim

20. Cutthroat_Fight

Sunday, I saw a couple one guy and a girl in red down below the C-Post Bridge. I was with my neighbor who has a beard, me in a red hat. I must have missed your questions :( I am going outside to practice back hauling after reading what Shockedalakan wrote heh.