NF Stilly slide

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by cuponoodle breakfast, Mar 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greg Armstrong Active Member

Pugetropolis
    Ratings: +342 / 0
    Andrew,
    What Chum?
    I haven't seen many Chum in recent years on the NF.
  2. Andrew Shoemaker Active Member

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +57 / 0

I was under the impression there was a decent chum run on that river. It may be that I heard that years ago from someone. Isn't there a tribal hatchery there too? Just remember something about the still having chum and silvers but I've never fished it so I might very well be wrong. Was just curious if there will be any fisheries impact from the slide that would hurt future returns.
  3. Cole L Fish Fiend

Bellingham
    Ratings: +48 / 0
    They'll be fine. Salmon have been surviving natural disasters worse than this for thousands of years.
  4. cuponoodle breakfast gritty

Arlington
    Ratings: +303 / 0
    I was completely turned around on this. I originally thought the slide occurred on the south side of the river, crossing the highway and then continuing to the river. Looks like the old slide on the north side completely cut loose and made it all the way to the highway. Unreal!
  5. Smalma Active Member

Marysville, Washington
    Ratings: +653 / 0
    Yes it looks like the Hazel slide (old timers sometimes refer it as the Halterman slide) let loose again.

The Hazel slide is a area of natural instability whose activity is believe to be influence by river action at its toe and logging upslope. This the third time since the early 1950s that a major slide at that location has completely dammed the river. The second event was in 1967 where the river was temporarily dammed and the river was forced to a historic slide channel on the south side. In recent years that have lesser but significant events in 1988 and 2006 where the river was partially dammed. I recall a study looking at the slide some 15 years ago (don't remember the year) determined that the slide would remain active and it was likely just a matter of time until another major event occurred with no way of predicting when that might be though a period of exception rainfall might be a triggering event. At the time it was thought that the most likely worst case the river would be dammed and the land flow would extend well to the south though as I recall was not expected to come close to hwy 530.

Thoughts and payers to the victims and their families.

Curt
  6. Davy Active Member

SIlverton, OR
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    WOW , and prayers to all involved, watching it on the news down here in Oregon
  7. Josh dead in the water

NW Washington
    Ratings: +496 / 2
    All over the front page of the Sea Times this morning. Crazy.
  8. Jeff Dodd Active Member

Langley, WA
    Ratings: +349 / 0
    Yes, this is horrible. This thread helped me to figure out where it the impacted area is. Thanks!

Imagine an emergency worker hiking in to deal with the remnants of this slide, all while hearing cries of help from trapped victims. Photos I have seen of he area look like a total mess. Mud and trees everywhere. Where do you start?

And then this wall of water has to be building up behind you, waiting to blow through.

Yes, prayers to the victims and responders.
  9. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +706 / 1
    Hopefully the river can begin cutting a new channel and start releasing the energy slow enough to avoid a sudden release. What areas downstream are at most risk (sorry, south-ender here that does not know that area very well)? Let's all hope for the best.
  10. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,652 / 0
    I had to look at the pictures several times to really tell where the slide happened. I haven't been near there in about 8 years or so. It takes a little kick to get my memory going. I first thought that the south side slid. But looking again I seen it was the other side of the river.

This ought to make the river a lake around the bend.
  11. stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

Carlsbad, CA
    Ratings: +277 / 0
    Well, that area is prime spawning gravel for chum. Anything already up out of the gravel might have made it down river if it was below the slide. Anything upstream of the slide will depend on what happens with the blockage
  12. stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

Carlsbad, CA
    At least it's not a slide IN deer creek. Unfortunately, hazel /C-post and down to deer creek gets a lot of winter steelhead and chum spawning activity. Going to be bad news. The majority of the Stilly winter fish are already upriver. Slide doesn't look like it will affect the main spawning areas for summer chinook
  13. flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

I'm more concerned about our friend Mike K. who lives up in that area. Hoping he posts something here, on Speypages or on Facebook to let us know he's okay. Anyone heard from him?

The river will change and the fish survive.. or they won't..
  14. stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

Carlsbad, CA
    Mike Kinney lives several miles downstream
  15. stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

Carlsbad, CA
    He lives below deer creek- the slide is a ways upriver of deer creek
  16. flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

Thanks Stilly! He's probably been told to evacuate, but okay.
  17. stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

Carlsbad, CA
    I have friends that live ON the river just down from the Oso firehouse were the river splits. I'm afraid the erosion losses they've been getting every year are going to seem like nothing in comparison to what happens when this slide gives
  18. Smalma Active Member

Marysville, Washington
    Ratings: +653 / 0
    The slide is located roughly a mile downstream of the C Post Bridge on the north side of the rive.

The several miles of river immediately upstream of the slide site is the major spawning area for North Fork Stillaguamish Chinook and wild winter steelhead. At this time of year the majority of the wild steelhead would not yet migrated that far upstream.

I suggest that if folks want to talk about the fish side of this tragedy that we do so on another thread.

curt
  19. flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

Wasn't my intention to stop the questions on this thread. Sorry if it came off this way. Saw this from King 5 on Facebook a few minutes ago:

UPDATES from Snohomish County - 'we have a report of 18 people who are unaccounted for. Our #1 priority is responder safety. We have over 100 people here on the scene working this.'

Only time will tell what will happen up there for sure.
  20. P.Dieter Just Another Bubba

Seattle.
    Ratings: +141 / 0
    This is the most useful description I've seen of the history of the area. I knew I'd get better information here then "news" sources. Thx
    flybill likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.