NF Stilly slide

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by cuponoodle breakfast, Mar 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Media:
    So this is a historical slide area, but people keep building homes there? It smacks of the mentality along the California coast. Mudslide takes house, rebuild, mudslide takes house, rebuild.....

2. cuponoodle breakfast

cuponoodle breakfast Active Member

I don't think anyone would have imagined a slide would make it that far south. It has blocked the river and pushed the stream bed closer to the neighborhood in previous events, but this is unbelievable. The entire valley has pretty much been filled in.

Andrew Lawrence likes this.
  3. cuponoodle breakfast

I sat up looking at photos last night, trying to find different landmarks and houses to ID the boundaries of the slide. Most of the homes I looked for are gone or buried.

4. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    I remember looking at a lot for sale there when I finished college. I didn't know anything about the Hazel slide at that time, but my wife and I could see evidence from the 1975 flood on the lot and surrounding property, so we decided never to buy in a flood plain.

Thoughts go out to the victims and the unaccounted for - I hear there are still 18 people.

Sg

Ron McNeal likes this.
  5. Ron McNeal

Ron McNeal Life's good!

Media:
    Has there been any copter coverage/video of the area? I have not been able to find any in my channel surfing; keep thinking this event just screams for at least one copter, hovering above, shooting the general slide/river/blockage area to give people a true picture of the scope of this thing........

6. Greg Armstrong

Greg Armstrong Active Member

Ron,
    I've been thinking and wondering the same.
    I have a hunch this past week's news helicopter crash may have something to do with that.
    I had heard KING 5 news shared KOMO 4's helicopter. I don't know about the other news channels though, I think KIRO 7 has one, but maybe they've been grounded for the time being.
    No doubt, aerial coverage would provide us all the visuals to get the full magnitude of this thing.
    I too was surprised to realize that it was the hill on the north side of the valley that slid, damned the river and continued south to cover the housing development, and carried on to bury the entire highway on the other side of the valley!

7. Ron McNeal

Ron McNeal Life's good!

Media:
    Yep; thought the same thing myself...... Should've added that thought to my post..

8. cuponoodle breakfast

Talked to my friend up river about an hour ago. He said there's been helicopters flying around all morning, just not news helicopters.
    He and his neighbors were wondering why the blockage can't just be dynamited, but with a slide that big, I don't even see how explosives would help. It's just too big. And with potential victims scattered pretty much anywhere, well, you can imagine the risk.

9. Preston

Preston Active Member

Perhaps it would help to refer to the slide area by a single name. When slides occurred here in the past, they have been called the Halterman or Steelhead Haven slides. Halterman was a whistle stop on the Arlington-Darrington railroad almost exactly across the river from the slide's point of origin; Steelhead Haven was the location of a cabin-site development only a short distance above Halterman (Hazel is about three miles upstream of Halterman). When the first major slide (of recent years,1956?) briefly dammed the river it cut the Steelhead Haven development in two as it reverted to an old channel to the south. Another point of identification would be the run known as the Mermaid, accessed by a trail north from the highway near the school bus turnaround. In all likelihood it is no more.

Chris DeLeone and Chris Johnson like this.
  10. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I know that the only coverage is from last night. It would be good to know that they found or rescued some of the 18 missing people. I've tried several different news sites, but only the news from last night shows up.

11. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

It was mentioned on NBC News Sat. evening, and on CNN today, the latter with brief clips from the air. I expect better coverage from the Seattle stations this evening.

Not to minimize the tragedy to the people involved, but with or without a resulting flood, this is likely to be another year (or several?) when the poor, much abused North Fork will never clear to fishable conditions this summer.

12. cuponoodle breakfast

Ron McNeal likes this.
  13. Rialto

Rialto Member

Media:
  14. Richard Torres

Richard Torres Active Member

Media:
    I hope the folks that live along Steelhead and East Steelhead drive are okay. That area was pretty much buried from most of that slide. I put together a pic based from all of the photos I've seen, showing what was inundated in the area.
    slide.PNG

Gary Knowels and Ron McNeal like this.
  15. Richard Torres

Media:
    Just saw the video that CB posted..
    I grossly underestimated showing the magnitude of this slide.

My sincere condolences to the families that may have lost friends or loved ones.

16. Richard Torres

Media:
    triploidjunkie likes this.
  17. cuponoodle breakfast

The usgs graph is finally going back up. Gonna be interesting to see what the flow does. Hopefully the water level stabilizes and helps the searchers.

18. Tacoma Red

Tacoma Red Active Member

Yes I was thinking of Mike and I hope he's well. Thoughts and prayers out to everyone there especially the responders.

19. Cuttbow82

Cuttbow82 Active Member

20. flybill

flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

Media:
    Got a Facebook note today from a friend who talked to Mike today. He has left his house and is staying with family.

Jeff Dodd likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.