NF Stilly slide

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by cuponoodle breakfast, Mar 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jamie Wilson Active Member

Arlington WA
    Ratings: +91 / 0
    like a mud avalanche
    I've been in a lot of snow - skiing
    Although I have never been in a big slab like avalanche I've been in some pretty steep spots with lots of snow moving.
    I can't imagine that being mud and trees
  2. Lugan Joe Streamer

Beautiful View, WA
    Ratings: +762 / 2
    FinLuver, Dan and Paul Huffman like this.
  3. triploidjunkie Active Member

Grand Coulee, WA
    Ratings: +1,264 / 0
    Kyle Smith and Ron McNeal like this.
  4. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,656 / 0
  5. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,656 / 0
    Isn't the hill west of there unstable also. I remember reading about that hill moving also. It on the highway side of the river. And they are talking about the area getting more rain.
  6. Paul Huffman Lagging economic indicator

Yakima, WA.
    Ratings: +132 / 0
    There's a temporary flight restriction around the area which limits who can get in there for just pictures below 6000 ft.

Here's a little summary of the 2006 slide: http://www.stillaguamish.nsn.us/steelhead%20haven%20slide.htm
  7. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,748 / 0
    My mind is still having a hard time getting around the magnitude of this slide. I know this area very well. I have stood at the toe of the slide many times looking up at the bare hillside above the river wondering when it would happen again. Imagining what would happen if I were standing there when it let go. Everyone that knows this area knew it was only a matter of time before another slide took place. However, I don’t know of anyone that foreseen this. An unimaginable tragedy.

My heart aches for those families that have lost loved ones in this event and for those that are still missing.
  8. Lugan Joe Streamer

Beautiful View, WA
    Ratings: +762 / 2
    Kerry, if you look at my link a few posts up, there were two researchers who did foresee this.
  9. Josh dead in the water

NW Washington
    Ratings: +497 / 2
    Yeah, that times article is pretty damning to any county or state official who tries to play the "we had no idea" card.
  10. Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Ratings: +1,176 / 0
    Kerry, I agree 100%. More than a few tears have moistened my eyes as I've watched the news and I am unable to comprehend such loss. Yet, I too have stood below this slide and felt a chill as I peered up at that slope looming overhead. The last time I fished there was probably 2001 and the loose bits sloughing off the slope creeped me out so much that I moved upstream. My condolences to anyone who has lost a loved one in this tragedy and my thoughts and prayers are with those still missing.
    Ed Call, flybill and Skysoldier like this.
  11. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,748 / 0
    I read it. As I said, nobody foreseen the tragedy that unfolded Saturday morning.
  12. flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

It's actually gotten harder for me to watch the coverage as well, now that I really know how much area, and how many people were affected. I found out today, a Facebook friend whose 13 yo relative is still missing... I fished up on the Stilly the first time I went out for steelhead a long time ago. Thoughts and prayers to those that lost their lives and for those who still remain.
  13. Richard Torres Active Member

Mill Creek
    Ratings: +76 / 0
    Clay, silt and sand like Curt said.

Josh, these are all glacier byproducts that once occupied the Puget Sound area. Removal of some of the forest canopy which help absorb water and re releases it into the atmosphere, add the unusually wet February and March so far this year, the extra moisture percolate's through the sand where it collects in a water table or follows the least path of resistance on top of a bed of clay. Add the continuous avulsion and erosion from a flooding body of water, and if the conditions are right the weight and pressure of the land/soil mixture destabilizes and the mass slumps like a thin mixture of concrete.
  14. Rod Wittner Active Member

West Richland, WA
    Ratings: +57 / 1
    This is so sad. My heart and prayers go out to all the people and families affected by this disaster. Keep the faith and pray for miracles of survival. God bless.
  15. Andrew Lawrence Active Member

Renton, WA.
    Ratings: +100 / 0
    I copied this from another site. Ever since learning about this tragedy, I felt the need to do something more than just making a monetary donation to the Red Cross (which I did, and would encourage others to do).So after reading this, I purchased a couple bags of groceries and drove up to Arlington. I would encourage anyone who might have even the slightest interest in doing something like this to go for it. If you can't find anyone in front of the store who is accepting donations, the folks at the Food Pavillion will make sure it gets to where it needs to go.

"With the growing need of donations for the victims of the Oso Mudslide, we will be holding another donation drop tomorrow, 3/25 from 10am to 5pm at the Arlington Safeway and also at the Arlington Haggen, and again on Wednesday, 3/26 from 10am to 5pm at the Arlington Food Pavilion. Items in need are as followed: Non-perishable food, water, baby food, formula, diapers & baby wipes. Also, I was just informed that Darrington families are in need of perishable items along with Non-perishable items. Perishable items are as followed: Bread, 50lbs of ground beef, deli meat, and sliced cheese, really anything to prepare sandwiches for the families and first responders. The community response on our last donation drop was unbelievable!! Please share this post to get the word out!! These families are counting on us!! Let's continue to pull together and give these families what they need. I can also use 4 more volunteers, please PM me if you are available to help. In addition, If you are wanting to make a monetary donation that will go directly to the families of the Oso Mudslide, Union Bank and Cascade Valley Hospital have partnered up to set up a Disaster Relief Fund for monetary Cash donations in which are going directly to the families whom were affected. http://www.youcaring.com/nonprofits/cas ... und/154422"

16. Skagit Angler I miss Ed's Sports

North Puget Sound
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    I fly fished 'Leon's' as it was called by my fishing pals & I a lot in the 90s... caught and released my first big steelhead off the rock point towards the head of the hole (35" wild hen from the Skagit replants).. I considered it a coming of age of sorts...
    Looking up at that high bank as water wept out of it and trickled down to the Stilly was always disturbing...

My most heartfelt condolences to all those affected by this tragedy...
  17. G-spot4u Active Member

Ratings: +70 / 0
    I also feel a connection to these people and that area. I came to this forum right away to learn more, and of course Kerry's post caught my attention. In Europe, villages are still wiped out by avalanches with surprising regularity. Crystal Mountain knocked their own chairlift down this year with a detonated slide. Sliding mud/snow - dangerous stuff. Terrible? Without question. Devastating? Absolutely. Unimaginable? No. The area is known to slide. Anyone who is surprised has not spent much time there.

18. cuponoodle breakfast gritty

Arlington
    Ratings: +305 / 0
    It's known to slide, but not to such a catastrophic extent. I think it's fair to say that cars being blown off the highway, from a slide on the other side of the valley, is a surprise.
  19. cuponoodle breakfast gritty

Arlington
    Ratings: +305 / 0
    It's fascinating (maybe a little spooky) to look at satellite images of the valley and see just how many old slides are dotting the edges of those glacial deposits.
    dfl, Ed Call and Andrew Lawrence like this.
  20. Andrew Lawrence Active Member

Renton, WA.
    Ratings: +100 / 0
    I agree! Despite the history of the area, the size of this thing is unreal.
    Ed Call likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.