NF Stilly slide

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by cuponoodle breakfast, Mar 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karry

Karry Member

That is like the surprise of Mt St Helens. or a big earth quake, it's always were little quakes happen that a big one can come along. Same with mud slides. My Dad told me of a slide that came out of dry canyon when he was a boy. It was in the low hills just out side of town and you could easily see the trail and deposits from it. About 20 years ago I was looking to buy a new house and the real agent took me to a lot that they had just pored the cement on. That lot was on the hill from that mud slide. I said I was not interested, but he talked up the view of the mountains. Long stories short 2-3 years later that subdivision had 2 feet of mud in it but it was a surprise to every one. Event the Thistle side in 83 was a know side, but it still put the town under 300 feet of water. I think people just let the beauty and love of living on the river or hillside out way common scene.

2. G-spot4u

G-spot4u Active Member

Well, now it's real, imaginable and no longer a surprise. If you want to know what nonprofits other than Red Cross will help the victims, one option is to contact the Seattle Foundation at (206) 622-2294 or info@seattlefoundation.org

dfl likes this.
  3. cuponoodle breakfast

cuponoodle breakfast Active Member

The Seattle Foundation says donate to Red Cross.

flybill likes this.
  4. Mark Moore

Mark Moore Just a Member

Not to take up an offense on another's behalf but.....

It seems as though every time I see you post you're intentionally provoking others. Now being provoked doesn't necessarily bother me or even to be in the company of other when the provocation occurs, it's just that when someone new shows up and all of their conversation tends this way I begin to think this individual has an agenda.

Kerry is a well respected member of this forum who certainly doesn't need anyone, let alone me, to make his point for him. I just wonder what your deal is G-spot4u. Somehow virtually every post I see from you makes me like you less and I generally like most folks.

cuponoodle breakfast likes this.
  5. cuponoodle breakfast

cuponoodle breakfast Active Member

dfl and Andrew Lawrence like this.
  6. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Choosing to ignore the inevitable but unpredictable disaster/holocaust is a gamble that some folks are willing to take. We weigh the odds, and bet with our lives, despite that gnawing inner voice that warns us.

If "the big one" hits in the subduction zone off our coast when I'm still living at my present location, I'm right in the tsunami zone, at about 10' above sea level. I'll have maybe 10 minutes or so, if I'm lucky, to get to high ground, about 2 miles away by car. When (not "if") it happens, I'll bet there's going to be a traffic jam clogging the route. I'll barely have time to realize that its happening, and then I'll have to ride out the shaking and pick myself up, grab some containers of fresh water, and head for the hills, if the roads are still OK. The experts tell us that the beach area here will likely sink about 5 feet if a really big one hits. The tsunami warning siren is only a couple hundred yards from my house, but there's going to be a time lag from when a large quake happens and when the siren goes off. I should already have felt it by then, though.

Its my choice to gamble with the odds. I'm still surfing, and I own my home. However, I've been entertaining the idea of moving to the Rain Shadow area, and low-holing Bob Triggs on his favorite beaches.;)

dfl, Alex MacDonald and Ed Call like this.
  7. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I wouldn't walk across the street to give to the Red Cross. They screwed over my folks big time when they went there for help. It was many years ago,.

8. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

Think of it this way, that will be an epic wave to surf!!!!!

9. psycho

psycho Active Member

For sure it will make the pipeline look like a kiddy wave.:D

10. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

And I'm sure they are the exact same organization with the same people working there now, makes sense that you wouldn't give to them now.

11. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

That's right, Richard. The evils of our local geology. Epochs of glacial advance and retreat left all those reversing strata of clay (silt), sand, gravel, sand, clay, sand, gravel, etc. deposition. All hills in the Puget Sound lowlands are like this--including the seven hill of Seattle. One of these days...

So weird being on a ship with half-assed Internet access and reading about the slide taking out so many folks at home, as well as the Malaysia flight disappearance. Meanwhile, my ship is sailing towards the biggest storm the Canadian Maritimes has seen in a decade. Below freezing temperatures and hurricane force winds ([Been-there-done-that x 2] + this ship is well over 900' + the Atlantic is smaller than the Pacific = I'm not worried that much or I'll die calmly). Feels kind of weird lately. Eh?

--Dave

Josh and Ed Call like this.
  12. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Time changes many things Old Man. I respect the Red Cross of today.

13. G-spot4u

G-spot4u Active Member

Mark, when 9/11 happened, the pundits all pounded their fists on the table screaming UNIMAGINABLE. The political and media machines repeated it ad nauseam like a mantra. It was a misuse of language at best and an intentional deception at worst. In the Tom Clancy novel, Executive Orders, published a few years earlier, a 9/11 type attack takes place in the first chapter. Not only was the event imaginable, it was the premise of a NYT best seller! Since that time, I pay attention whenever I hear/see the word.

With regard to Oso, there was at least one engineer who imagined and forewarned a catastrophic slide there. It's one thing to not imagine something; it's another for something to be unimaginable. With continued climate change due to man made greenhouse gas emissions and population growth, this kind of thing will become increasingly common and imaginable.

I am fascinated that my opinions on carrying guns to flyfish in WA and the imaginability of predicted events provoke such an emotional response from some people that they imagine I must have an "agenda".

FinLuver and Danielocean like this.
  14. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I've had two shots at those people and got screwed both times. It was a long time ago it happened. I don't have to be shit on twice to see what it's all about. There are some I give to and some I don't. They are just not on my list.

15. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

Well like in the Ricky Nelson song Garden party (quote) " you can't please everybody ,But you've got to please yourself ( end quote ) so there you are, thats life!!!

dfl, Old Man and Ron McNeal like this.
  16. GAT

GAT Active Member

One of my favorite songs... but I believe the lyric is:

"You see you can't please ev'ryone so
    You got to please yourself"

Signed:

The Song Lyric Police

:D

dfl, bennysbuddy and FinLuver like this.
  17. GAT

GAT Active Member

What can you say? People sometimes live in areas that are not all that safe to live. Landslides are not that uncommon in the NW.

People have built houses on sand on the coast and then are shocked when the house starts to shift. Or... you build your place right next to a river that is prone to flood.

You draw a card and take your chances.

(The entire town of Corvallis is built on a major fault and it isn't "if" we'll experience a devastating earthquake but "when"... and that could be any day... )

The joys of living on land made by volcanoes.

G-spot4u likes this.
  18. Chris Selvar

Chris Selvar Member

maybe he is simply trying to say it shouldn't be unimaginable that you wont make many friends on this forum?? you seem to rub quite a few people the wrong way...

19. stilly stalker

stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

Just wait till this happens on the Nooksack and takes out the Mt Baker hwy south of glacier where the road hugs the river way up high.

Found out this week that my friends family actually just sold their property below deer creek. I still know many people living in Darrington, Oso and down river and am so grateful not a single person I know was hurt.

To paraphrase an earlier poster... Im not surprised a slide happened. Im shocked at the magnitude of the slide, and my heart is torn up for the families involved. A big part of my soul is crushed by what this slide means to fish stock recovery. The NF Stilly will always be the epicenter of my love for fly fishing. I know the stretch between Deer creek and Cicero better than just about anyone. I quit my job, camped on the beach and fished it 12 hrs a day for a whole summer I loved it so much. Over 18 years of fly fishing for deer creek steel. My 1st steelhead on a fly was a deer creek fish. My 1st chinook on a fly was a NF Stilly chinook. My 1st chum on a fly was a NF Stilly chum. My 1st pink salmon on a fly was NF Stilly.......ALL FROM THE SAME 100yards of water.

This river has had some ups, some downs......some more downs.......some more downs.....and yet I always found myself drawn back to that glorious 5.5 river miles I felt was mine. I knew every local who swung the long rod between Oso and Cicero. I knew the tweakers from Darrington who never fucked with my car, not once!! I knew the loggers who tried to make a living up there....Im not sure the NF Stilly will ever be what it used to be in my lifetime.

I hope that with this tragedy comes some environmental rehab $$ that was sorely missing in the area, and maybe a chance to let the watersheds native stocks heal to the best of their ability, without any assistance from more hatchery plants.

I am extremely thankful that Deer creek wasnt destroyed in this slide. But the main stream rearing sites for the summer steel are likely destroyed. All the winter fish spawning gravel around C-Post demolished, but some of the spawning side streams for chinook upstream are likely going to be ok. I know that there will be fish coming back. Whether they have clean gravel to come back to is another matter entirely. I can only hope.

bennysbuddy, scottr and G-spot4u like this.
  20. scottr

scottr Active Member

Like Stilly Stalker some of my first steelhead fly fishing experiences were on that section of the N. Fork. I have fond memories of fishing directly below the face of the slide (pre-2006) for SRCs feeding on a mayfly hatch. It was a glorious day catching those fish on little BWOs.

Not sure if I will ever go back to fish that section again. If I could fish it, not sure that I would, recreating in place of such sorrow would be tough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.