NFMF Willamette trip...

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Paul Norton, May 6, 2013.

1. Paul Norton

Paul Norton Member

Took friday off. Drove down to Albany, picked my brother-in-law up and then headed on to Eugene & took a left, up toward the Willamette National Forest.

Spent the weekend camping & fishing a couple different rivers (Falls Creek, Middle Fork North Fork Willamette, and something else I actually don't remember the name of..) Being complete newbs to the area we ended up moving around a lot, but to no avail. Water was clear, hatches were plentiful, but there didn't seem to be any fish. Wrong sections of the rivers? Too early/late? Who knows... weather was awesome, beer was cold, and it was three days I didn't work.

There's places up here where I usually have luck, but we're trying to find stuff in Oregon. He recently moved to Albany & so we're trying to find new places down there. I get the impression that the fly shops are all about steelhead fishing, but that's good too, as I've been thinking of giving it a try & if the fly shops keep pushing him to steelhead, I'll have a partner in crime. :)

Oh, sorry, there's really no point here, if it's not to brag that I got out. Cheers.

2. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Media:
    I found lots and lots and lots of little trout on the north fork of the middle the middle fork is pretty tough to wade.

Plenty of good water in Oregon.

3. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

The Middle Fork of The Willamette is usually pretty good right now... with MB or BWO. Some folks do well on the North Fork of the Middle Fork but I never have. You were certainly in the right area, I'm not sure what went wrong.