NFO Dragonfly

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Blue, Apr 26, 2014.

1. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    The Dragonfly was unveiled at this years Idaho Falls Fly Tying Convention.
    For those in the market for a small (10'6") two man boat, this is ideal.
    Has the self bailing floor which can take boot studs (not advised).
    Frame is easy to assemble. Motor mount/anchor system well out of the way. and an additional GoPro camera mount.

2. papafsh

papafsh Piscatorial predilection

Media:
    Home Page:
    Looks good but that GoPro mount looks like a guaranteed line tangler, at least for me it would be!

LB

3. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

Media:
    Wonder if this could replace my one man assault and my 10' pram? If the floor is out do you think it could be kicked from the rowers seat?

4. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    It is a solid floor with drain holes and then the inflatable floor like the SUPS on top. It is the same length as the Assault XX however. I did order the frame because I already have the XX. I will report how that works. I like to kick so this boat is not for me. but it is sweet.

5. james.jimenez

james.jimenez Active Member

I wounded If you already own the seat portion of the frame, it looks similar to the challenger XXX frame, is there a way yo just purchase the anchor mount? Where would one go to find specs for this boat? What is the cost of the boat and frame? What did your frame alone cost?

6. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    I have to wait till next week for a price. This weekend was the premier of this boat. The frame is not the same as the Challenger XXX. If anything, it is more like the older Cardiac Canyon. The frame sits straight on top the boat where the Challenger frame drops down between the pontoons. Plus this is narrower than the XXX. I know the boat is 10'6" long. You can use the Carbon Oars on this.

7. Flyfish23

Flyfish23 Member

Media:
    Anyone know what it weighs? Prices are up on the site. Interesting looking craft. I already have an Outlaw Outfitter, this would be nice for something lighter and just for two or one for expedition if the weight allows.

8. Derek Young

Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Media:
    Home Page:
    Which part of the boat is fully "rockered"?

9. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    Front and rear.

sportsman likes this.
  10. sportsman

sportsman Active Member

Blue , who are you trying to convince that you are not going to buy this raft...yourself or all the rest of us?!:)

11. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    Lol. It is sweet, but i like feet action. Plus already own the xx.

12. constructeur

constructeur Active Member

Media:
    At that price I'm wondering why those interested wouldn't just buy one of the many import boats (NRS Livery, Rocky mountain 10.5, etc.) and still have 2k left to outfit and knock up their own frame, or even have Catchercraft, Madcatr, Cambridge, or Recretec weld them a custom.

Many on WFF like to pig pile on Dave, I'm not attempting to do that at all; I'm just not seeing how this is any different or more cost effective than what is already out there or could be built by oneself...

13. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:

So, what would be the cost of a frame that offers the standing, the two seats and the motor anchor, plus oar locks cost? Out of Aluminum. Just curious. I looked at another company once on a custom frame...the pontoons where the cheap part.

As for this boat, the stand out features are the HARD floor (inflatable) that as I said can withstand cleats, the lean bar, or the fact you can put the seat without the frame where you want it (with in means of the straps)

Not saying that with searching around you might come up with similar for less. I am sure you could. This package is the product of someone doing the search and putting it all together very tastefully, right here in the USA.

14. constructeur

Media:
    ok, I can tell we're just going to talk in circles, so forget I said anything.

15. golfman44

golfman44 Active Member

Media:
    You can probably get this boat for about $2.2k. Not sure how much the stand alone frame would be tho.

16. Wayne Kohan

Wayne Kohan fish-ician

Media:
    Last year I bought a Hyside minimax, a 10 1/2 ft boat, got an NRS longhorn frame with extra crossbar, 3 Carlisle oars and blades, oar locks and oar towers, a cooler for the front guy to sit on, well under $3000, all new. Hyside is an US company, though boats admittedly made outside the US, and are made of Hypalon, and Hysides are known for their toughness. Boat weight is 67 pounds, without the frame. I don't have a floor to stand on or a lean bar, but did not buy a boat of that size to fish out of it, just to transport to places to fish down the river. If I were planning on fishing out of the boat, I would get something larger. There are some frame makers out there that can make a great frame for this boat, through NRS I just stopped in Moscow while visiting my children at WSU, so no shipping involved. I got this boat because I can roll it up for storage and I hang the frame from the ceiling in the garage. I can place the partially inflated boat on two sawhorses for storage if I want to keep it inflated to dry out. I bought this boat after I floated the Ronde in my single person Assault, and worried about the thinness of the Assault's material every time I floated past a rock. And I do not like the pinned oars on the boat, in case you hang one up on a rock in the river, like I did and nearly flipped my boat. I suspect there is a niche for this NFO boat, but it is starting to get near the price of an Aire Trib with a fishing frame, in the 13 foot range, a much beefier boat.

Wayne

Tyler Sadowski and constructeur like this.
  17. sportsman

sportsman Active Member

QUOTE: "At that price I'm wondering why those interested wouldn't just buy one of the many import boats (NRS Livery, Rocky mountain 10.5, etc.) and still have 2k left to outfit and knock up their own frame, or even have Catchercraft, Madcatr, Cambridge, or Recretec weld them a custom". End Quote. I do see the point you are trying to make and for some/many? people that is an avenue to explore. On the other hand, I believe most people on this site do not have the time or desire, possibly experise to build a custom raft. If anyone has looked at some of the picture I have posted, on several topics, know that I 'love' custom....anything! The Assault seems to be a very well received raft, for some nothing short of outstanding. To be able to assemble which style best suits you, or possibly build to the future as funds are available, should not be dismissed. At this point in it's very short 'life', price shopping is a waste of time. Everyone knows Dave's show prices are the norm compared to the internet page, so accurately comparing the many options available, to anything else out there, is a waste of time! One very obvious [ to me ] fact is, Dave has really raised the bar on the Assault to a [possibly]very high level and should be acknowledged for his foresight and willingness to invest a substantial amount of capital, not just to make more money, but to look to the future and imagine what could be. No one else is even close to what he see's the future could be and spending his money to make it so! The competiton should be worried, Outcast is trying to catch up 5 years late and still with a heavy raft, and still with bladders. Not to offend the WM Kodiac lovers, but it's a 25 year old design, built way too heavy[thick material] IMHO, and no one there had anything to do with it's design to begin with. To be fair, let the people who own the Assault and Kodiak weigh in. At my' older' age, I out row [speed and distance] 2 to 1, really almost 3 to 1, my buddies Kodiaks to my Renegade, and with half the effort! And from the people I know who have the Assaults, it's equal or better to the Renegade. It is the 21st Century and Dave is hands down the leading edge. Now to lay down the gauntlet: Dave Scadden, prove to your loyal following that you really can/will make it happen! Prove to 'others' that whatever has happened in the past, is really in the past, better yet a distant glim in the rear view mirror. Your vision, design and seemingly endless models[ styles/versions ] are way ahead of anyone else. Every year you raise the bar on raft design, now raise the bar on the rest of it!

Blue likes this.
  18. constructeur

Media:
    This was my original question. Wayne proved my point in the post above yours. Have fun.

Tyler Sadowski likes this.
  19. golfman44

golfman44 Active Member

Media:
    These threads always deliver. We have people like Blue who will defend Scadden to the death, we have people like Derek young making snarky comments about Scadden's while he is literally on the payroll at another inflatable boat company, and to top it off we have those who simply don't know what they are taking about (i.e. Arguing over a price point that is about 40% off).

I feel sorry for people actually looking for useful info on these boats. Best advice I can give is to just call the companies themselves and ask questions. People at Scadden and Outcast both spent over an hour with me on the phone and made my choice clear.

20. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    You are absolutely right, you can build similar yourself and you can save on money. I will agree, but note my word "similar" There is nothing else out there like the Dragonfly...yet
    I agree totally on the frame and definitely tan the idea about NRS, specially after seeing what another poster did HERE on this forum with his Assault XX.
    I also realize that by using this frame on my XX that the lean bar will be lower as I will be standing on an inflated floor (like the boats mentioned.
    I have never owned a WM or a WS, so I have no opinion good or bad. And I do make it a practice to not bash or comment something I have no experience with, there for I cannot comment on the other boats.
    I hope this "straightened" out my answer. Have a great day.