NFO Dragonfly

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Blue, Apr 26, 2014.

1. you use beads with a fly line, your opinion cant be trusted

Derek Young and golfman44 like this.
  2. james.jimenez

james.jimenez Active Member

Does anyone have an idea of the actually price of this pontoon... I dont think I know anyone who has actually paid a price for a pontoon dirrectly from the website... What is the "Special" showroom price?

3. golfman44

golfman44 4-Time Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year

Media:
    Usually 60% of what Dave's site charges is a good starting point, and you can work down from there. I think his assault xx's are listed at 2800 when you can get them for 1500

4. golfman44

Media:
    You should see the fly I tied with Dan. Hoh Bo spey with about 3 lbs of thread on the front to make an egg cluster

DanielOcean likes this.
  5. Derek Young

Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Media:
    Home Page:
    I doubt I'm the only one who had that question.

6. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    I'm not a big fan of those types of anchor release cleats, especially in rivers.
    It wasn't pretty coming upon the end result of a unexpected release in the middle of some rapids on the Sol Duc.
    Luckily everyone made it out safely.
    SF

7. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    I asked this question to Larry,k his answer was that a bunch were sold in I.F. for an introductory price of $2499.(The online photo show it with optional lean bar, action-cam pole and under-seat storage boxes. The rest is part of the package ) He also said he could extend that price for another week. So I hope that helps.
    I know many of you here are white water runners and I totally respect that. Only rivers I have access to are the Green and sections of the Snake. I would not hesitate to take any of my boats down my rivers. But, I am more a fisher than a rapids runner. I want something to get me to the honey hole, so I apparently don't look for the same features you all do.
    I see this all as healthy feedback, like the old debate Orvis, Winston, Sage or Scott. We chose what works for us and sometimes, the cost doesn't matter.
    Thanks for answering my post. It has been interesting.

sportsman and golfman44 like this.
  8. golfman44

Media:
    Bit more than I thought, but you can probably haggle them down to $2300 or so. Thanks for the info.

9. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Media:
    Albums:
  10. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:

Now that has possibilities! Add a motor mount, lean bar. Cool. Foot smaller, but might not be an issue. Getting closer.
    Similarity seems to pop up all the time with each manufacturer adding or subtracting what they see as the ultimate boat.
    Like these then and now boats:
    NFO Escalade 2001
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then off of Daves design for SFC came many float tubes and pontoons:
    [​IMG]
    Then
    [​IMG]

Then came:
    [​IMG]
    followed by:
    [​IMG]
    Then latest is
    [​IMG]
    And
    [​IMG]
    or was this one more inspired by.......
    [​IMG]

I don't know, but seems they are all doing a little of it, so roll with what feels right.

11. no scadden logo, i doubt it can handle more than a class 4

Steezn290 likes this.
  12. rsmith

rsmith New Member

I never comment on these forums, but I felt that this was so blatant that someone had to share. As far as the originality of the new Scadden Dragonfly, Dave did not even bother to change the name, he just added a cheap frame.

http://www.jpwinc.com/products/proddetail.php?prod=4399-dragonfly-sb-raft

[​IMG]
    - Notice the Dragonfly name, the "full rocker" design, the self bailing drop stitch floor and the welded tubeless construction. This particular boat has been around since at least 2004.
    The Jacks Plastic boat might cost a bit more, but its made in the US and it will be a boat you own a lifetime.

I have owned a Challenger XXX - it was great for the small river I float in town. The durability of the PVC and the frame was questionable, so I sold the boat. I still own a Scadden Deschutes made by Aire back in the day, bladder and all.
    I realize Dave was a "pioneer" in the pontoon fishing craft industry, and I don't dislike the Scadden boats, I just question his originality lately.

13. sportsman

sportsman Active Member

Rsmith, thanks for your post. I for one have nothing but the highest regard for Jacks Plastic, got dropped into some s..t on a river I hadn't been on before or warned prior or care to see again! I think it was an Aire, but doesn't matter, my friend was laughing his but off at us. Anyway, outside of Dave 'plagiarizing' the name, your really not comparing apples to apples. This is a much larger raft[and heavier?] both attributes that can be a strong selling point...to some people....to others, possibly a detriment. Back to the one boat cannot be perfect for everyone syndrome. The "Made In The USA" label doesn't mean it's better anymore, which is sad, but true and many people consider them 'lifetime' ownership rafts. My 2 Waterstriders were made by Incept Marine and I challenge anyone to show me a raft with better materials or craftsmanship. I do know a little about boats, some more than others, but I sure can't tell by looking at some pictures that the frames are 'cheap'. Now the price comparison: Possibly this boat can be bought for substantially less than it's list price, maybe not. Dave's rafts have a list price and a show price, most everyone gets the show price[not just Blue....sorry kiddo, could not resist that one!] Now we are talking a huge difference in what a person really pays, how much I do not know, but I think a lot. Lastly you spoke of a Scadden raft you owned that was great for your small local rivers and that you sold it because you questioned the 'durability' of the PVC. So the question I have for you is twofold: what made you suspect it's durability and did you pass that suspicion along to the new owner? I would think that you just you used the raft as a trade in, rather than selling it outright. Welcome to the site, I think your knowledge and experience will be welcomed.

14. rsmith

rsmith New Member

Thanks for the welcome. I completely agree that the two boats are different, but you can't deny that they are also very similar. JPW, I am sure, would be very happy to draw up some specs of a smaller version of their boat if you needed that for a more apples to apples comparison. The design of both crafts is undeniably very similar as are many of the raft designs on the market. I am just saying his new Dragonfly design is not new to the market. Look at the Sotar Strike and SL, Aire Pumas, and Maravia Spiders for the diminishing tubes with continuous curve construction, or as Scadden calls it, rocker. I am pretty sure you can order the Sotar and the Maravia boats with drop stitch floors, but don't quote me on that. Yes, the Jacks boat weighs more, most whitewater rafts do as they use heavier grade materials.
    I would consider buying one of these new Scadden boats if I found one for well under a thousand dollars. I would add chafe strips and paint a urethane coating on the bottom. It would end up weighing more, but also last quite a bit longer.
    To answer your questions; the PVC became suspect when it faded from sun exposure purely from being on the water after maybe 60 days the first summer. Yes, I 303'd it often. It also began to gouge rather than scuff/scratch on rocks and other incidental things one might run over in the river or at the put in/take out. This is something I have never experienced with any other water craft on the same runs. The frame is not welded well, lots of sharp metal tags that should have been ground off at construction, and it bent at the connections (they are multi piece frames) numerous times under normal use. I also had to cut sections off the frame so that it would actually sit in the Challenger XXX without rubbing a hole in the tubes. There was more wear than just the usual black scuff marks from the aluminum. I wish I still had pictures, but this was a couple of years ago.
    I sold the boat to a gentleman looking very specifically for the Challenger XXX design. He got a great deal and was made aware of the flaws I perceived with the boat. He was stoked to add this boat to his quiver of rafts.
    A quick note on my current raft - it was made in Mexico and is glued rubber and has a heavy ass frame to boot.

15. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:

As I mentioned earlier, there are similarities all over the place. Thank you for the heads up on this boat. Looks beefy.
    I have no idea why the name Dragonfly. Dave calls his the Dragonfly XT. May be a tribute, I don't know. Dave may not be the first for this design, but this being the first in the NFO line up. As a NFO owner for many years and again I do not buy a boat to shoot class 4 or 5 waters as "I" couldn't do it and have no desire to, and I am sure many here feel the same.
    We buy NFO boats for the quality of a fishing boat. I have a couple friends that have the other big name fishing pontoons and their frame broke at the welds. No bashing the company as $Hit happens.
    I have owned Scadden boats starting with HIS Super Fat Cat. So basically for close to 30 years with an Outcast and a Bucks Bag in there as well.
    His boats work for me and NO I do not work for NFO, never have. Several of my family members and friends all use NFO. We are not stupid for doing this, it is just our choice with no complaints.

I personally welcome all the information on other boats I can get. For this I thank you.
    I started this post to let other NFO owners know there is a new kid on the block. But it has ran it's course as expected.

16. Go Fish

Go Fish Language, its a virus

Media:
    All I know is I love the new paddle board design but
    At that price...... I'll wait. I also have friends that have
    purchased Scadden products and have been unhappy
    with delivery times, customer service, and more.

james.jimenez likes this.