NFO Outlaw Escape or Renegade

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by seattletrask, Jan 25, 2011.

1. seattletrask

seattletrask New Member

I am a big man, (another word for over weight), and new to using a pontoon boat. I own an outcast pontoon and like it very much. I was thinking of buying one of the two NFO Outlaw Frameless because of the weight and traveling to lakes in Eastern Washington. By the time I get all my camping gear in the truck there is not much room for a boat. To get to the point which of the two handles better on the water? Are there any problems I should know about? Where is the best source to purchase one?

2. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
  3. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

Media:
    Sheesh, Dave's marketing seems to be extremely effective this winter. They do look like nice boats, though.

4. Chef

Chef New Member

Call Dave Scadden at NFO. He is great to deal with and really nice guy.

5. mojo

mojo Member

I've had the Escape and sold it for the Renegade. There is a 3' length difference, and about 4" inches in width. So, to me the Escape is a float tube with oars, and the Renegade is a full blown 9' kickboat with the Renegade being only 4 lb. more. As for handling, the Rene is great in the water.
    FWIW, I have a Western Pack duffle that I bought when I had an Outcast Super Fat Cat. I use it now for my Rene. The SFC with my PFD pretty much filled the bag. I can get the Rene, the seat and my footbar in the bag. It's a little tougher to fold up the Rene, but it can be done. I have my oars and PFD in another bag. The side bags I just leave filled with my fly boxes and keep them on a dedicated shelf in the garage (I also have an Outlaw X5 and use the same side bags) I'm planning on getting a 36" rolling duffle so I can put everything in one bag.
    So,the Renegade would be my choice over the Escape and it would fit just fine in your truck bed even with your camping gear. If it were me, I'd make it fit!
    Like the others said, call NFO. Dave and Larry are at the shows on the weekends at this time of year, but I think you can get them on Monday's-Wed at the shop. If you do get decide to buy, tell Dave that Alan and Joni (Blue) sent you.

BTW Chef, I have some extra aluminum tubing and I can make you a foot bar like mine if you're interested.

Alan

6. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

If you can make it to the Puyallup Sportsman's Show this week, Dave Scadden will be there with all his boats. A good chance to talk to him and he usually has some pretty good show deals (last year he was not charging sales tax.) Rick

7. Loteck Joe

Loteck Joe Over The Hill Gang Member

If I had the cash I'd have a Renegade in my garage. But alas, I'm only middle class. With bills.

8. mojo

mojo Member

Joe, I'm in the middle class too. With bills, but I don't have an outrageous mortgage or vehicle payments. Thank God I have a wife that knows how to budget and handle money over the years.

9. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

Media:
    Was at the sportsman's show today, Dave Scadden had the renegade package (aluminum oars, boat duffel bag) as well as the outlaw assault (water-master type boat, same package) for $999.00. The normal price for these packages is $1900 and $2200 respectively. In talking with Dave he said the capabilities of the assault and renegade are nearly identical, but the assault is stable enough to stand on (in still water) to sight-fish from. He said it basically comes down to whether you want front entry or full wrap-around design.

10. Loteck Joe

Loteck Joe Over The Hill Gang Member

Mojo, Love your status. I have an upside down mortgage, vehicle payment, and have been reduced to an on call employment status with a wife on SSI. So for now, I'll try to enjoy my Creek Company ODC pontoon. I have to admit however, that the NFO Renegade would be more fun than open seats around a friendly campfire, with drinks in hand. For now, I'll be happy for both of us. :)

11. mojo

mojo Member

You'll get there on day Joe. Nothing wrong with your ODC. It floats you to where you need to fish.

12. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

I was there too yesterday-Dave said these are the best deals he has ever offered on his boats, and he also said he has a warehouse full of product and any orders this weekend will ship Monday or Tuesday. I already have an older two man McKenzie pontoon and I bought the tube to make an Avenger with my frame/seat from the other boat-it was half retail. Rick