NFO Scadden Outlaw Predator?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by MakoML, Dec 2, 2013.

1. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Home Page:
    According to Derek at the office they're constantly backordered on the Predator. No demo deals, and 3-4 weeks minimum for delivery all summer. I bought mine used yesterday and got offered $50 more than I paid last night because you can't get them until May at the earliest.

I know I am going to miss the size of the Renegade for storage, but the light weight of the Predator is amazing.

Glad you like the Assault XX, Golfman. That's a great rig.

Twist your own dang D rings, Ms. Blue ;) I'm not taking any chances.

2. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    Fair enough...:) They had one at the show today and everyone was shocked at how light it is.

3. KBodholt

KBodholt New Member

On the predator, how does the foot bar attach. I'm looking at the predator, renegade, or stealth pro, can't decide which will be better for my needs 70% lakes and 30% rivers, class II maybe III. I'm 6'4", 250lbs.

4. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    I have no experience with the Stealth Pro, but the Predator and Renegade have a bar that goes from one side to the other. It slides into a molded plastic. There is only one position, you slide the seat for leg length.
    [​IMG]

They all three have a healthy pay load. The Stealth is 8' x 57".Tube Diameter: 16.25", Urethane bladder, weighs 35 lbs & 5' oars
    The Renegade is 9' X 56", tube diameter 15", Bladderless, weighs 28 lbs, I am not sure, but you can ask for different lengths.
    The Predator is 7'6" X 48", tube diameter 13", Bladderless, weighs 14 lbs, I believe they are 5'.
    Five years warranty on the Outcast, but I am sure they are flexible. Lifetime on the NFO. The Renegade was the first of these designs and probably the biggest seller.

5. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Home Page:
    There goes Blue again, trashing NFO products :eek:. Actually the tube specs for the Renegade and Predator are both 15". I measured the circumference just fore of the oarlocks, and the Predator is about 3" less, maybe due at least partially to the lack of a skid pad on the hull. The Predator measures 7' 3" and the Renegade measures 8' 2" in actual length. The Renegade is at least 4" wider.

Your use isn't much different than mine, and I have both boats. One difference is I doubt I'll be doing much if any Class III. Because of your intention to do so, I think the Renegade would be the better choice in that application. For stillwater either would be fine. The Predator is quite a bit lighter and much less cumbersome for carrying. I haven't had it out yet so I don't know about performance.

I think people buy Scadden for the efficient designs with great utility and speed, and light weight. That matters a lot to me and after 2.5 years with the Renegade I have no complaints and love the boat.

The only Outcast product I've had is the SFC which is in great shape after nearly 20 years of use. I don't think anyone complains about Outcast quality. They are heavier and maybe a little clunky in some design, but certainly well made crafts. If weight and portability isn't an issue, then I'd look hard at the Stealth. If those features are not critical to you, then I'd lean towards the Renegade.

6. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Home Page:
    OK, the wind came up( 8-10 mph) and I took the Predator down to our local lake and put it through some paces for an hour. Here's my review for the first time out, and a comparison with my Renegade.

First, here's an added bonus. Almost fully inflated and fits in the back of my Sequoia
    [​IMG]
    Portability: Far superior to the Rene. I loaded it with everything I'll need for a 3 day trout trip next weekend, except for a net. I had a rod and the fins in my left hand, and simply grabbed an inside handle with my right hand and walked a block or so to the shore. No way could anyone my height (5'8") do that with the Rene as it's too wide, notwithstanding the added weight. If it were a lot farther I'd have just balanced it on my head. ​
    Comfort: Better seat, and the foot bar is in a MUCH better position so the shorter boat can accommodate taller people. ​
    Using Fins: No big difference, maybe a slight nod towards the Renegade. I think you sit higher and maybe have a little more leverage. Not a deal point. ​
    Rowing: FAR better than the Renegade, and I don't know why. The oars that came with the Predator honestly do look like pool toy oars, but they seem more stout and better suited to the boat. I think the stock oars for the Rene are a little small. You do have to take short strokes because the bags can interfere with the oars. Again, the re-positioned foot bar is a huge improvement. I had to literally grab my fins and put them on the bar on the Rene--here you just lift and place. ​
    Wind Sensitivity: VERY sensitive. It's good that it rows so well because with any wind you'll be using the oars. I'm sure its' due to the light weight and reduced footprint on the water surface, but with a 10 mph wind you are BOOKING across the surface without using fins or the oars. ​
    Stripping Apron: It seems large, and I need to work on adjusting that. I didn't like it, but I don't think I had it adjusted right. They are a PITA anyway for entry and exit but probably a good addition. In the Renegade I had enough room to the side to lay stripped line next to me, but not on this one. I might go back to my William Joseph wearable stripping basket. I'll try that. ​
    Exit and Retrieval: Easy. When I was asking Derek at NFO about the lack of a skid pad on the hull he said you don't need one--just pick it up when you exit. He's absolutely right. Flip back the stripping apron, grab your fins, rods and net, and an inside handle with the other hand and start walking. Like a SFC but actually a little easier and only maybe 2-3 pounds heavier with the seat and bags. ​
    Conclusion: For my use, which is usually high sierra lakes and some local trout lakes in the winter, and some river work in Class I - Class II, the Predator was a good addition to the water craft, and I am now fully prepared to sell the Renegade. I might use the motor at times because of the wind, but rowing is so easy I doubt it. ​
    If the lakes we fish were routinely windy, and portability was secondary, I'd stick with the Renegade. It doesn't skate on the surface nearly as much and does has more room, tough the Predator doesn't seek crowded at all. ​
    For river use, I think I'd call it a draw just based on being on stillwater today. The Renegade rows very well in Class I-II water, better than on stillwater. The Predator is so good on stillwater I'd have to think it's at least as good on a river. For anything above Class II I'd prefer the Renegade just for size. ​
    Good thing is they're both the same price, so it isn't an economic decision between the two. For portability and ease of use, the Predator wins hands down. For windy conditions or for extended river runs, I like the Renegade. ​
    ~John​

7. FinLuver

FinLuver Active Member

I liked that one, but with my long legs (and I'm only 5' 10") - feet on the bar, oars hit my legs; feet stretched out, legs fell asleep - other than that, it was a nice ride.

8. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Home Page:
    Blue's husband is 6'2" and does fine on the Predator. You can adjust the seat back to fit most anyone on either model. I think the lowered foot bar on the Predator makes finding a good position a little easier.

9. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    LC, I was just posting the sizes on the site, never measured the two, so thanks for clearing that up. I am not sure how he measures length, maybe flat. The diameter makes sense though. I know my Assault is 13" and it is thinner than the Predator.
    As for the Apron, we went to a tent store and bought bungie cord and clips. Cut off the straps and did this. Much easier
    [​IMG]

I am 5'8" with a 36" inseam. I think the Predator was the most comfortable out of all that I have owned for foot length. Seat all the way back of course. Still lotsa room behind me.

Gregg Lundgren likes this.
  10. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Home Page:
    As usual, a good solution from you. Shall do. Thanks, J.

11. Gregg Lundgren

Gregg Lundgren Now fishing on weekdays too!

Media:
    I just went and bought another Water Master apron for use on my Assault XX, but now I know how to make that NFO apron functional. Thanks!:)

12. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    The XX was the main reason we did this.

13. sportsman

sportsman Active Member

Gregg, Blue has ben kind enough to post several pictures for the apron and motor mount. If you follow them, it will turn out great. I made several changes and will post some pictures when I get some free time. #1. Stripping Apron: 2 D-ring patches from NRS...very thin and the d-ring is on a webbed strap. For the rear I attatch the bungie cords to the handle...perfect positon for me. The plastic single snaps[Austin Kayak] on the right side still have the clips...semi permanent. The left side i removed the clips for quick entry/exit. # 2. Tackle bags: I got rid of the straps: Larger plastic snaps on the outside, tied short with straps and the inside I used plastic side release snaps.....quick and clean. #3.Motor mount: mine is a little different from Blue's ...they don't have the side bar any longer so attatching mine is different. I bought all materials from Strapworks in Oregon and used all stainless steel.. Bought a sewing needle from them and all my own straps. Easy to do, kinda fun and again a VERY clean and quick install: 1 minute max. I'll post some pics by the weekend, still trying to get the Waterstrider cleaned up and posted for sale.

Blue likes this.
  14. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    Looking forward to those!

15. sportsman

sportsman Active Member

ASAP ! I also got rid of the foot bar and bought 2" Seat Belt material. Put 1/4" SS eyebolts into the "PAD??" and use "Swivel Strap Clips" on each end of the belt. Works great, and when it's perfect only one side will be a quick Release. I also use these clips for the forward straps on the motor mount. Bekely Point.com They have more kinds of SS fasteners than most could imagine!http://www.berkeleypoint.com/products/hardware/webstrapclip.html

Attached Files:

16. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    Okay! I got it, awesome. I used those clips for a quick motor mount.
    [​IMG]

17. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Home Page:
    I'm still a little confused about the D ring setup for the stripping apron.
    I will add that fastener site to my resource file. Thanks.

18. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    Not sure what is confusing on the D ring, but here is a few more pictures. We did use grommets on the corners of the apron, and a washer and an adjustable stopper. One side has the locking clip the other a quick release so you unhook and flip it over the side and get in or out.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is the apron attached with straps on the apron, but with the bungies we are able to suck it right up to our body
    [​IMG]

19. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Home Page:
    OK, now it's clear how you used the grommets. Perfect, thanks. REI might have that?

20. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    I am thinking yes.