NFR 5 Deer Hunters Shot

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by coonrad, Nov 21, 2004.

1. coonrad

coonrad New Member

Media:
    First you have the Indiana Pacers versus the crowd in a free for all.

Now you have 5 deer hunters shot to death by some freakin nut job.
    This story is just bizzare, very sad for their families:

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/22/national/22hunter.html

I hope I don't open the paper some day and find "The tranquil waters of Point No Point erupted today with RPG fire and grenades over a spilled latte"

Seems a little tense out there, I was driving home today and heard a traffic report about a backup due to a fist fight occuring on the side of the road.

hmm...

2. clockwork

clockwork New Member

imagine how it would be if we all had the guts to love each other. we might find that we are all on the same side.

3. pwoens

pwoens Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
  4. Davy

Davy Active Member

Media:
    Based on how the press and the left will portray this incident I am sure it was the gun that shot those people not the wack-job.......here we go again.

5. Luckee

Luckee The Salmonizer

That kind of divisive politicizing may be one of the reasons people seem to be tense.

6. ZugBug

ZugBug Member

Media:
    From Fox News:

BIRCHWOOD, Wis. — A dispute among deer hunters over a tree stand in northwestern Wisconsin erupted Sunday in a series of shootings that left five people dead and three others injured, officials said.

Jake Hodgkinson, a deputy at the county jail, identified the suspect as Chai Vang (search) but would give no additional details. Several news organizations in Minneapolis-St. Paul reported the suspect was 36-years-old and from St. Paul.

The incident happened when two hunters were returning to their rural cabin on private land in Sawyer County and saw the suspect in one of their tree stands, County Chief Deputy Tim Zeigle said. A confrontation and shooting followed.

It's not known who shot first, Zeigle said.

Both men were wounded and one of them radioed back to the cabin. Other hunters responded and were shot, he said. Some of the victims may have shot back at the suspect, Zeigle said.

The suspect was "sniping" at the victims with a SKS assault-style rifle (search), Zeigle said. He was "chasing after them and killing them," he said.

The dead included four males, including a teenage boy, and a woman, Zeigle said. The man who radioed for help was not fatally wounded. Some of the victims were shot more than once.

All five were dead when officers arrived, he said.

Authorities found two bodies near each other and the other three were scattered around the area, which is near Town of Meteor in southwestern Sawyer County. Two people who stayed in the cabin emerged safely after the shootings.

The suspect, who did not have a compass, got lost in the woods and two other hunters, not knowing the man was being sought in the shootings, helped him find his way out, Zeigle said. When he emerged from the woods, a Department of Natural Resources officer recognized the deer license on his back, given to police by a victim, Zeigle said.

The man was out of bullets when they arrested him, Zeigle said.

One of the injured hunters was in critical condition at St. Joseph's Hospital. Another was listed in serious condition and the third was in fair condition, both at Lakeview Medical Center.

Wisconsin's statewide deer gun hunting season started Saturday and lasts for nine days.

Bill Wagner, 72, of Oshkosh, was about two miles away near Deer Lake with a party of about 20 other hunters. He said the incident was "very upsetting."

After they got word of a shooting, he and others went to round up the rest of the party. He said they heard sirens, planes and helicopters and noticed the surrounding roads blocked off.

"When you're hunting you don't expect somebody to try to shoot you and murder you," he said. "You have no idea who is coming up to you."

The incident won't stop their hunt, he said.

"We're all old, dyed-in-wool hunters," he said. "We wouldn't go home because of this but we will keep it in our minds. We're not forgetting it."

7. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I read off the internet. You should be able to do it also. It makes it like you don't even want to step out the door any more. It isn't safe out there anymore.

Jim

8. pwoens

pwoens Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Unbelievable... bawling:

my prayers for these individuals' families and friends. What a very sad incident.

9. BOBLAWLESS

BOBLAWLESS New Member

Seems like we had a post about this same sort of thing a few days ago where some land owner had threatened some fishermen with a rifle for being on his property.

Unlike Davey Earl, I don't beleive this is leftist or the press but rather something basically wrong with our society: I would guess overcrowding is a possibility. Too many hunters, fighting over too little turf left to hunt.

In another post, I remember being criticized for wanting to help Washougal wild steelhead by suggesting closing it down for a few years including the hatchery to give the fish a break. The argument was that by closing it down I was only adding pressure to other rivers. While this has some merit, it doesn't drive at the true source of the problem: too many fishermen.

How much pressure can the woods stand? How much pressure can any resource stand?

Bob, the Don't want to be jerk, just trying to figure some things out. :ray1:

10. Oneweight

Oneweight Member

Media:
    sad...It's just like the Friday night NBA brawl. When you step back or look back and ask yourself, "Was this really worth it?"

BTW - Ron Artest should be kicked out of the league indefinitely...

11. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Maybe it was that the moon was full or not. They also had a brawl at the South Carolina football game on Saturday. Who were they playing,Clemson?????.

I'm afraid to go out side I might get shot by another fisherman for low holing him.

Jim

12. jessejames

jessejames Flyslinger

Media:
    I think we all have within us the ability or propensity to do all kinds of evilthings. But we have a "veneer" of civility and common sense that prevents us from acting on our base impulses. When we are put in situations that would, so to speak, scrape off that veneer the ugliness comes out. I believe that in some people the veneer is very thin and it doesn't take much for that to happen. A snide comment, a rude gtesture, cutting them off in traffic or refusal to be allowed to hunt or some rude fisherman leaving a mess on your property is all that is required for some.
    That is why I am constantly trying to avoid any confrontation with people that I don't know because you have no way of knowing what meaningless act is going to set someone off.
    Being polite, having manners, avoiding conflict may not be a macho thing but it might keep you alive.
    Maybe it is too simplistic but the golden rule is good advice, treat others as you would like to be treated.
    My two cents worth (I know some of you think that is overcharging)
    jesse clark

13. BOBLAWLESS

BOBLAWLESS New Member

Word! Can we get an amen on that?

Bob, the Amen! iagree

14. Scott Behn

Scott Behn Active Member

Media:
    Amen !!!!!!

15. Davy

Davy Active Member

Media:
    Wow !!! Bob, I agree with you !!!.hold the darn phone!!! it is not a left or right or press issue,it is a true social problem.Its just I am sure this will kick off a another gun debate.And with the press searching for stories to fill the Scott Peterson void its going to get hyped tenfold.I do pray for these persons families and loved ones.Totally sucks,but I sleep better at night with my guns on my side of the wall.After this weekend I think I will get more.

Yup, that darn fork made Rosy fat!!! Destroy the forks!!!

Davy

16. Bill Douglas

Bill Douglas blue collar dirtbag

Media:
    People are amazing. Here's a little story a friend whose son-in-law is stationed at Fort Lewis with the Ranger Battalion told me.

He and about 80 other Rangers were milling around waiting for an MP to open up a back gate into McChord. A civilian went racing by in his car and never even slowed down. One of the troops bellowed out for him to slow down. The civilian stopped the car, backed up and started yelling at the troops wanting to know who told him to slow down. The man became increasingly agitated and eventually got out of his car. At that point an older and well-respected Master Sgt. approached the man and told him that the best thing that he could do would be to get back into his car and leave. The civilian got into the Sargent's face and then gave him a push almost knocking the Sarge over. Needless to say, about ten of the Rangers were on him in the blink of an eye. They had him hog-tied, subdued and crying uncle within seconds. The Pierce County Sheriff's office was called, and they hauled the guy off.

What kind of guy gets that upset over just being told to slow down. If 80 Army Rangers staring him down isn't enough to make him behave rationally, what is? He could have easily pulled this manuever with someone not as well equipped to deal with him, and then what would have happened? I'm sure it would have escalated further.

Anyway, I think this guy gets the moron of the year award. He's probably lucky the Troops just subdued him and waited for the Deputy.

17. WT

WT Member

Those crazy Rangers, leading the way in non-lethal intervention.
    RLTW,
    WT

18. MacRowdy

MacRowdy Idaho Resident Craftsman/Artisan

Media:
    Home Page:
    What is a vietnamese dude doing in a tree stand in the woods with a snipered out SKS during hunting season? He's hunting. Hunting hunters.

That is obvious. WTF!? That is freaky. He hunted them down after he shot them. Imagine he shot some of them more than once.

I look forward to the full story.

MAC the: "Strange things are afoot at the circle K."

19. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    LOL Bill, that's funny. I heard a few similar situations from guys out there as well. Mostly at gettogethers at bars, parks, etc. Had a few close friends back in the late 80's/early 90's that I used to hang out with all the time in that unit. I heard some funny stuff.

I actually had a run in recently taking my kids to school. About 2 weeks ago I did my normal run over there (you make a loop to drop the kids off). I don't come out the main street, I hit a back street back to my house. Should say I've been doing this for almost the 2 years I've been off now with the injury. I'm going below school zone limits, only about 15mph. Guy comes RUNNING out of his garage and stops in front of my Blazer. Luckily, he wasn't acting too aggresively, but bad enough. Started ranting that I was going to fast. When I explained to him I was only going 15mph, and this was a public thoroughfaire that is at least 25mph, he went ?????. He assumed his street was only 10mph since it was small. LOL. I had to inform him that it was a publically owned street, and I highly doubted his street (which wasn't a dead end) was 10mph, and in all my years being a UPS driver driving around all of Pierce and parts of Kitsap County, never saw a public street marked at 10mph, and none besides schools during posted hours at 20mph. Private drives, well that's different story. Once I explained it to the guy, he was really cool about it. Even thanked me for not blowing back up at him (though I had my 5 D cell maglight ready in my right hand just in case). LOL. I kept my cool, but wanted to be ready just in case. Now he waves at me as I drive by in the morning. Think he actually drove his car around the corner and found out I wasn't going as fast as he had thought. But he's lucky. Some guys with very quick tempers may have done differently (like I probably would've in my younger days before I had kids, now I keep it under control now).

20. ncitrez

ncitrez Too many hobbies.....

Sad, sad, sad. I agree - this guy may have been in the woods during deer season, but he was definitely not hunting deer. You don't need a scoped SKS semi-auto to kill whitetails. :eek:

Thing that pisses me off: like Rowdy said above, this guy is NOT a hunter. He is a psycho with a high-powered rifle. Now PETA and the gun control freaks have fresh ammunition for their siege against lawful hunters and gun owners. F'ing sucks. :mad:

BTW ......... "EXCELLENT" Bill & Ted quote, Rowdy. :thumb: