NFR 870 vs benelli nova

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Josh Brower, Aug 14, 2007.

?

remington 870 VS. Benelli Nova

1. Remington 870 Express

23 vote(s)
    65.7%
  2. Benelli Nova

12 vote(s)
    34.3%
  1. Josh Benjamin

Josh Benjamin Member

i would truly believe that you'd be happy with either gun. pick one and buy it, you won't be sorry. it's a ford versus chevy versus dodge discussion. they're all good for the money. worst case scenario you spend another few bucks on a sims recoil pad to lengthen the pull...not sure if wades in bellevue will let you shoot shotguns indoors but it might be worth a phone call. you can rent and shoot pistols there for sure.

2. Smooth

Smooth Guest

Roper,
    Nice find for 10 minutes...but don't you have to have a Federal license to purchase from Gunbroker.com or ship to a dealer with a license? to be resold to you? Just curious...

3. Josh Benjamin

Josh Benjamin Member

yes...must be shipped to FFL if it crosses state lines. most gun shops will do it for you for a fee. i've been quoted $20-30.00 per gun.

4. Josh Brower

Josh Brower AKA Salmon, Trout, Steelheader

i already called wades and the guy told me they were a pistol only range.

5. Kaari White

Kaari White Active Member

I've bought a shotgun from wades before... one of the worst buying experiences I've ever had...

If you're going to get the 870 Express, just watch the sunday paper ads. They're on sale literally every other week at big 5, joes, etc.

6. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Yeah, what CWUGirl said about the Express...Or if you fancy the looks of the Wingmaster, give Kesslering's in Burlington a call. If there's a shop around that has a better selection and prices I'm not aware of it. It's worth the drive.

7. SightCast6X

SightCast6X americanshotgunner.com

Smooth,

to purchase from Gunbroker all you have to do is win the auction and then have FFL transfer done by a local FFL shop like, Wades, DJ's, etc. They give you a copy of there FFL with either blue or black ink and you mail for fax it.

It will be shipped to the FFL and then after a background check you get your gun minus a FFL transfer fee ($20-35). Really simple and I do it all the time.

G

8. Scott Behn

Scott Behn Active Member

Don't be too impartial to buying "used". There are alot of "diamonds" out there as far as used prices are concerned. I bought my 870 express for a whopping $20.00 just because the orginal owner didn't like shooting a pump and bought himself an 1187.

It's not too tough to establish whether or not a particular gun that you're looking at is in bad shape. I'm not trying to sway you one way or the other, but just keep an open mind to either type of sale...

from a die-hard Remington supporter

:cool:

9. pilchuck steelie

pilchuck steelie New Member

Salmon, Trout, Steelheader, Don't overlook the opportunities to buy used 870's. There are alot of very clean 870's available for under $300. One great place to look for used guns is DJ's in Bothell. They will negotiate the price. As for your choice of the Nova vs. the 870: I own a number of shotguns, m12's, Browning o/u and sxs, Beretta o/u and several 870's. I have hunted with an 870 for over 30 years. The 870 is my day in day out, go to shotgun. I hunt mostly waterfowl, but used one for pheasants for years. The 870 is dependable, easy to use, easy to get parts for (if you should ever need any. I've only had to replace one firing pin in these 36 years.) I am so confident and loyal to the 870, that I've bought 4 of my 5 sons (when they turned 12) an 870 Wingmaster for their first shotgun. The one who didn't get an 870, got an Ithaca M37, because he's left-handed. As others have said, Buy the 870 Wingmaster, not the Express. Better gun, better looks. A good clean used one for $300 is an easy find. Keep it cleaned and oiled, it will come up shooting evey time. Clean it when you're done using it, don't abuse it and let it pit and rust. I hate to see one of these great shooting machines abused. But, to each his own. As for chambering, 3" is plenty. If you can't kill with 2 3/4" or 3" ammo, 3 1/2" shells aren't going to help you. I only shoot 2 3/4" 1oz. or 1 1/8 oz. Steel #2's for ducks. I have used this load since steel shot became required for waterfowl hunting. Back in the day, when lead shot was legal, I used 2 3/4" 1 1/4 oz. #4 or #5 for ducks, #2's for geese, and 1 oz. or 1 1/8 oz. of #6 for pheasants and pigeons, #8 for grouse. This is all I've ever used or needed for 36 years.
    As for Novas, If you like plastic, then buy one. Good luck. And by the way, you might enjoy www.duckhunter.net, over there I go by dekecarver.

10. Josh Brower

well, i finally settled on one. i picked up the nova today, and a free case too. thanks alot all of you for the help.

11. Josh Brower

i shot 2 boxes today, one reduced recoil and one pheasant dove load, and neither really kicked harder than the other. the recoil isnt bad at all, and it feels better to me to shoulder than the 870 does. i need to learn to open the action a little slower, it kept throwing a clay every time i opened the action. thanks again to all that helped with this.
    Josh

12. Davy

Davy Active Member

No idea on the Benelli, they have a great rep. I have a Benelli 12 Auto I won at a benefit but have never used it. I have and still hunt with an 870 Wingmaster I have had since new when 12. Whats that ? 39 years and holdin? I have a cpl new ones as well, one for the 3 1/2"s, a regular 20 and the smaller youth 20ga that makes a great brush gun. This year Remington has gone back to putting real wood stocks on the Express. That's a plus too. As far as I know the actions have remained the same. I always revert to "Old Faithfuls though. The old 870 and the 760 for hooved game.

13. Mr.E

Mr.E He called me an Elitist ?? LOL ..what a moron

So what did you decide on?

I just purchased the super nova today and broke it in. I have been shooting my Wing Master for about 15 yrs and I have to say hands down the Nova is an upgrade. What ever you decide on they are both good scatter guns.

14. Josh Brower

decided on the nova. i posted about it 2 posts up. i shot mine and my neighbor's 870 and the nova kicked less shooting the same load. i am very very happy with my nova.