NFR Anyone have a dog needing a good home?

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by Mike Wade, Aug 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Wade

Mike Wade Member

My 15 year old Lab died of bone cancer recently. I miss him very much. The grief and tears have turned into loneliness for a dog. If you know of a dog, hopefully a lab, that needs a good home please let me know. Please, not a senior dog as I don't want to go through this again too soon.

2. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

Media:
    Mike, Sorry, Hard thing, to loose ones best friend.
    Do yourself and a dog a favor and go rescue one from the pound.
    Jeff

3. Mike Wade

Mike Wade Member

I am going to do that this week. I have contacted Death Row Dogs and am filling out their application today. I will also visit the pound. Just hoped maybe I could save one here from going to the pound.

4. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Media:
    Home Page:
  5. Scott Behn

Scott Behn Active Member

Media:
    My brother in law is needing to get rid of his dog. They can't keep him where they are moving to and want to find a good home for her. She isn't a lab though. Pm me for more info.

:cool:

6. Mike Wade

Mike Wade Member

Thank you guys. I am doing or going to do all of the above until I find one. Knowing myself it won't take very long. Scott, I sent you a pm.

7. Philster

Philster Active Member

Media:
    I hate to say this but don't go to the amateurs to get your dog. The dogs there are at the "last chance" shelters for a reason. We did that. Dog was psycho. Everytime I took it out I realized that I was putting my families financial future in jeopardy, because the odds of this dog hurting someone or something was guaranteed if it got off the leash or pulled away from me. It was a walking lawsuit waiting to happen.

Tried to take it back to where we got it, who guaranteed they would take it back if it didn't whork out. Sorry no room. Maybe in a couple of months. Meanwhile I've got a 5 and a 6 year old. So in desperation after trying 3 or 4 places I take it to the seattle shelter. My kids are more important than any dog. This dog failed every test! Unsafe around kids. Unsafe around dogs. Unsafe around any animal. Food protection issues. Territorial issues. COMPLETELY UNADOPTABLE! I could have it back but they wouldn't adopt it out. Take it back? With 2 little kids? Hell to the No!

Lots of these volunteer places have their hearts in the right place. But I would NEVER go to a zero kill volunteer place again. The place I went to probably considers the whole thing a win on paper. They kept a dog from being euthanized and adopted it out. Jerks.

8. LD

LD Active Member

Media:
    Sorry to hear about your dog, but you had a great buddy for 15 years!

We adopted a dog from a second chance rescue. They would get dogs from areas that had a lot of dogs, to many to handle. He has a couple of issues but over all is a very smart good dog. We had a daughter after we got him. She has sat on him, poked him in the eye, ect. and he just takes it. I know that if someone ever tried to harm her he would protect her.

Any good shelter wants a good fit and will take the dog back if it is not. You should also be able to find a lab or lab cross in a shelter. There are so many of them and they can have lots of energy when young, so people will give them up if they do not spend a lot of time with them.
    Good luck

9. seatownbrock

seatownbrock Still in the 206.....

Media:
    My 2 bits in shelter hunting is to not rule out any dog with a good temperament, lots of cool dogs need good homes. We wanted a lab as well but found many of the ones taken to shelters were either really old or a real handful. We ended up picking up a beautiful 2 month old Pit Bull that was found chained to a fence in Kent somewhere. The little guy was so sweet and just wanted to cuddle and play. We had no intentions of ever owning a pit bull and did some research with people who owned them and made sure our home insurance wouldn't drop us before we picked him up(had to switch). This has turned out to be the best dog ever. Plays well with his Boston Terrier sister who is 100 pounds lighter than him and has never been aggressive towards another animal. He did growl and bark at a guy who came aggressively running at me after I yelled at him for almost running me down in a crosswalk... Dude stopped in his tracks and got back in the car without a word:thumb: These organizations have a lot of pups available at all ages: http://bullseyerescue.org/ http://www.pitbullproject.org/ but there are always tons of pits in the shelters as well.

[​IMG]

10. Joe Fitzpatrick

Joe Fitzpatrick Member

Media:
    About 6 years ago I lost my beloved Jazamin...She died suddenly from a brain aneurysm, at 3 years old. I posted a similar post in another forum and a friend of mine sent me the attached JPEG. It helped me, so I hope that it helps you.

Good luck in finding another special friend....

11. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    Mike,
    Sorry for your loss. Here is a place you should consider checking out. It is a very well run organization.
    http://www.thenoahcenter.org/
    Brian

12. Chris Puma

Chris Puma hates waking up early

Media:

heh. your dog looks really uncomfortable and disgruntled because of it in that picture. when my dog lays in ridiculous positions she'll just keep grunting because she's too lazy to move. my next dog will be an AM STAFF.

13. andrew

andrew Active Member

Media:
    A friend called me today and asked if I knew anyone that would want to take either one or two, 3 month old Chesapeake Bay retrievers. Supposedly an aquaintance has these "boys" and they cannot come with him on his move. I believe (dare I say) they are free to a GOOD HOME.

Don't PM me...just use my regular email Andrew@zervasgroup.com much easier

14. mozart

mozart Chris

Wow, that's awesome. Chesapeakes are beautiful animals, and Free? Holy hell! If I didn't live in an apartment I would be all over one of those pups. But Pits are still my favorite dogs. Never had a dog with so much personality.

15. Tim Lockhart

Tim Lockhart Working late at The Office

Media:
    Another vote for SPDR. You have the option of adopting directly from another family. In our experience the other family had great concern for the well being of their pet and would gladly take him back if it didn't work out (see Philster's post). They were more concerned about landing him into a good home than simply getting rid of him. That was 8 years ago and I still couldn't be happier...I'd do it again in a second.

Mike, really sorry about your loss. Mine's getting old as well and I have a hard time even thinking about those things. Whichever way you find your next, I hope it brings you as much joy as your last...:beer2:

16. Mike Wade

Mike Wade Member

Thanks again guys. today I am going to Shelton to the Adopt A Pet shelter to visit a few dogs. If I find a good match I will bring him or her home with me today. I have also been approved for adoption by another group and I will be visiting with them next week unless something good happens today.

17. Mike Wade

Mike Wade Member

An update. Visited a few dogs in Shelton today. Found a great match for me and the dog. Brought him home with me and he immediately made himself part of the family. He's extremely playful, affectionate, and lovable. He's a one year old Lab mix, small for a lab, and I am very, very happy to have him. Thanks to all of you for your kind words. They rreally do help in an emotionally traumatic time.

18. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Media:
    Home Page:
    Congrats- post a photo of your new pal!

19. TallFlyGuy

TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Media:
    Too many incidents with pits. Too many cities who have passed legislation against them. To many children attacked by them. To many other dogs mangled by "tame" pits. After almost every incident, the owner says something like "my dog is such a nice dog, I don't know what happened". They are not "normal" dogs. More power to you if you like em. I, like many, think they need to go.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/01/09/opinion/smith/main1192645.shtml

Peace

20. Chris Puma

Chris Puma hates waking up early

Media:
    i'm a firm believer that stupid parents and dog owners need to go. keep the dog, punish the people.

a lot of these dog attacks you have to second guess. i've had people take there infants and wave them in front of my dogs face like a chew toy. if my dog attacks their child, should i or my dog be responsible? hell no. kid got what the parent deserved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.