NFR: Computer guys: Why should I/shouldn't I buy a Samsung Chromebook?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by IveofIone, Apr 6, 2013.

1. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

Kent, you ask an obvious question. The short answer is that by being frugal in the past I am having a very secure and comfortable retirement now. Being careful with money and debt free is as much a habit with me as pissing away money and being in debt is a way of life for many Americans. I would never trade my comfort for their uncertainty.

So now I tend to spend far more freely than I ever did in the past but dovetailing need with purchase price is an ever more daunting task. There is so much feature creep and bloatware associated with today's products that it is just maddening. We already have a full featured computer in the office that meets all of our requirements for managing finances, paying bills, ordering things, etc. It came with so much useless crap on it that it took a couple of days to finally strip the garbage out and get it to function right. I am not eager to do that again and what I guess I am really looking for is a toy that I can surf with but little more.

Writing a check for the new computer isn't the problem-getting something that just meets my needs is. I don't want to pay for something that would make an IT person or a devout nerd happy but I would have virtually no need for myself. Paying for something you don't really need is a fool's errand at any level.

Ive

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  2. Bill Aubrey

Bill Aubrey Active Member

In one word, Ive, Apple.

Kent Lufkin, dryflylarry and jwg like this.
  3. Stew McLeod

Stew McLeod aka BigMac

Media:
    If you're looking for a toy Ive, maybe look at the Google tablets - Nexus 7 (which I have and love) or the Nexus 10. The 7 has a 7 inch screen while the 10, you guessed it, has a 10 inch screen. Total dependent on WIFI unless you download content (books, music, magazine and such) for when no WIFI. These are great for integrating the google suite of products.

Tablets are easy to have by your side and available for those quick browser sessions, skype or whatver. Now granted maybe not all that good for documents and such, but that's not it role.

My $0.02 worth.

Stew

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  4. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

Or get a Surface RT and do it all in one device.

5. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    I'm no computer nerd at all, BUT..........I have owned my Apple iMac for 4 years now. Absolutely NO PROBLEMS have occurred! Nothing! I'm dead serious about that. A great product. Screw PC's! I am on the verge of getting an iPad or mini iPad.

6. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    Thanks for clarifying Ive. I wasn't clear that the proposed Chromebook was to be a secondary machine instead of your only machine. In that light, I have to agree with Stew above: a tablet makes even better sense that a stripped-down laptop. Why? Let's take my iPad as an example.

I'm not an early-adopter of technology. My mantra is 'just because it can, doesn't mean I should'. I watched with interest as the first generation of iPads swept with world. Their advantages were obvious: light weight; small form factor; highly portable. Their main disadvantage was a price point that I felt was about twice what I was willing to pay. So I sat on the sidelines.

Generation 2 was introduced with many improvements and I still sat. But by the time the G3 machines were announced, I pounced, buying a refurbished 16Gb WiFi G2 machine from the Apple online store for just over $250. It had the full Apple warranty and free shipping.

Although it was nominally a birthday gift for my wife, after a couple weeks playing with it, she pronounced it 'too much bother' (she's tech-averse!) and set it aside. I now use it daily for exactly the same things you mention: checking and sending email; browsing sites like this; and reading. I particularly enjoy reading in bed with it since, unlike a book or magazine, it's much less awkward to hold and the display can be adjusted for the light level, size and orientation I prefer.

I'm not evangelizing the iPad - there are other brands available that all have their supporters. But my point is that if your functionality needs are light, the smaller size and greater convenience of a tablet over a laptop to me is a huge advantage.

K

Stew McLeod likes this.
  7. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    My boss and I both had iPads 2s. I got a Surface, and sold the iPad immediately. My boss followed suit. It's indescribably better.

I used to be the biggest Apple fanboy. But I have jumped ship and had to admit that Microsoft/Windows has really, really done right the last few years.

8. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

How the hell do you type and do email on a tablet that has no keyboard? I have never seen any of these devices but the pictures clearly show no keyboard.

9. Kent Lufkin

Media:
    Ive, I thought the same thing when I first looked at the iPad. My smartphone keys are so tiny that typing anything more than a few words results in so many typos or erroneous auto-'corrections' that it actually ends up being a disincentive and caused me to look suspiciously at the iPad. The virtual 'keys' on the iPad are about the same size as on a regular keyboard and therefore much easier to type with. I wouldn't want to write a novel using one without one of the plug-in aftermarket keyboards, but for posts to forums like this, it's perfectly fine.

K

10. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

Okay, I get it-you type on the screen itself apparently. It kinda begs the question: Why not have a laptop if you need an aftermarket keyboard in addition to the tablet?

I see those ipad G2's on sale refurbished for $319 at the Apple store. I wonder if that wouldn't make good sense for me. I guess the downside is that it bears no relationship to my Windows based big machine and I would probably lose some utility of mutual function by having one of each.

Ive

11. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Media:
    You can also get an inexpensive bluetooth keyboard for an ipad. You can get a case the fits the pad and keyboard. If you must type on the pad itself you'll find it to be easier than it looks.

12. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Media:
    For all the web based apps it's about the same. For using WFF you can get a nifty app called tapatalk or just use the full site in mobile mode. Both work great for me. Email integration is just about perfect. It's just a matter of plugging your password into the ipad under whatever email you use and you're ready to go.

13. PT

PT Physhicist

I'd rather have more than what I need than get something and realize it ain't enough. Chromebook only if web browsing with high speed, IPad is a decent machine, Surface is a step up from there. I think the IPhone is pure genious and having used the IPad for the past couple years I thought it was acceptable for it's purpose. Surface will do most anything you want. Like Evan, sold my IPad a week after being given the Surface.

BTW, who in the *$#@ are Microsoft marketing the Surface Pro to with those absolutely idiotic boardroom tv commercials? I'd probably own one right now if it wasn't for that ridiculous commercial.

14. PT

PT Physhicist

Ive, I drifted a bit. An IPad for $319 would probably be a great choice.

15. Kent Lufkin

Media:
    For me the tablet isn't about duplicating the functionality of any of my three full-featured computers or our 4G smartphones, but rather to supplement them. If I want a serious keyboard to write a novel (or one of my usual novel-length posts on WFF!), I'll use a laptop or desktop computer.

Where the tablet really shines for me is that it's easy to balance on my lap in the crapper, sitting on the garden bench sipping a gin and tonic, or lying on my side in bed reading an article in Vanity Fair or the Steve Jobs ibook with the brightness turned down while my wife snoozes beside me.

Yes, I could do all those things with a Chromebook or one of my two laptops, but their larger size, greater weight and unwieldy, hinged form factor makes it less convenient and more of a balancing act, especially lying on my side in bed.

For someone who wasn't at all planning to like having a tablet, I can't imagine not having one now.

K

Stew McLeod likes this.
  16. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

Did you guys ever see a drop of mercury fall on the floor and then scatter in all directions? That's how my brain is starting to feel right now. About the only thing I am certain of is that I don't want a Windows8 format. I used a format similar to that back in '44 when I was in the 1st grade. It was called a coloring book.

I recently attempted to leap into the 21st century by buying a cell phone. I set up the account, ordered the phone and then registered it when it arrived. Nothing. Absolutely nothing. They sent another phone and I went through the process again. When it came time to make the test call I called the number and got 2 beeps. That was the extent of my cell phone comunication. The company then agreed that I was probably never going to be able to use a cell phone here and refunded my money.

But we do have high speed internet so I am hoping for better with whichever device I buy.

Ive

17. Stew McLeod

Stew McLeod aka BigMac

Media:
    Not certain where you live Ive, but maybe go visit a tech store (Apple Store, Fry's, heck even Radio Shack) and try a couple of them out. See how a tablet feels in your hand. Most of the techie folks at those stores would love to show you the upside and downside of a tablet versus a laptop.

I think Kent above has hit the nail on the head with his comments. The tablet is perfect for everything from sitting on the throne to hanging in a coffee shop.

Stew

18. greenwater

greenwater Member

Media:
    Another vote for Surface RT (posted from a Surface RT)

19. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    +1 (posted from my Surface Pro)

20. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

An RT is a tablet. Snap on the keyboard, and it becomes a laptop. It cones with Office. It has a browser, but you can save stuff to the local device too. It all works well.