NFR: Computer guys: Why should I/shouldn't I buy a Samsung Chromebook?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by IveofIone, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Media:

You won't like the Surface then. How about a nice Chromebook? :rolleyes:

2. willisbullard

willisbullard New Member

We use 3x chromebooks at work to use shared files on google docs that are constantly open at 3 different work stations, each entering data. They are frustrating, mostly becuase of their speed, despite being on a strong wireless connection. Can't beat it for the price, but, as they say, you get what you pay for. I definitely consider it a toy, and when I want to actually do any data analysis, I go into the office on my desktop and maneuvor around. Big difference in speed on desktop and chromebooks, and I can get things done much faster on desktop. SO, I think it would work just fine in some situations, and the speed drives me crazy, because I am used to fast connections and fast cpus. Chromebooks are a great price, not a bad option for something that can do internet/ email etc. Could be something you grow out of, could be something that works great, and you won't have any complaints. Too slow for me though.

3. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Media:
    Full disclosure: I did not read a single previous post on this thread.

But I think the chromebook is a hell of a deal for $250 if you can deal with "living in the cloud" and don't need internal storage space. Build quality isn't up to apple, the chassis has some flex to it and the AC plug is just abysmal compared to apple's magsafe. But the keyboard is almost as nice and the screen is decent. The trackpad is less so.

Can't run netflix and some random internet plugins. But overall it's done what I wanted it to do which was be a cheap light laptop to take with me to the coffeeshop/bar when I don't want to take my macbook pro or for the kids as an entertainment device (minus netflix), it's a great deal.

The short version: Think of it as a tablet with a keyboard and you are in good shape. Think of it as a tiny cheap laptop, you are going to be disappointed.

4. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

My thanks to all of you that have responded to my question. I have learned a hell of a lot in the past few days. I had no idea there were so many nuanced devices and so many niches they slotted into. It is almost like fly fishing and the proliferation of rods and lines nowadays. The big difference of course is that the electronic devices cost a lot more than a decent fly rod and their life span is considerably less. I am still fishing a Fenwick glass fly rod from the early '70's that cast even better now with a modern fly line. How many of you are staring at a Radio Shack TRS-80 right now? One thing I am pretty sure I can count on is that whatever I buy now will probably be an absolute fossil by 2015 should I actually last that long myself. Us '38 models are nearing the end of our service life as it were.

Thanks to Josh for an actual owners review. I had hoped for a few more of those. Often the response is: 'Get what I have' or 'Spend more-get more' and the always popular 'You get what you pay for'. Although often used as a slur, you get what you pay for is what I usually try to do. Some high-end users don't get what they pay for and some low end users get far more than they pay for.

No decision yet on just which way to go. I have enough information now that when I get to town I can go to GeeksAreUS and ask some halfway intelligent questions, handle a few of these things and determine which is adequate for my simple needs.

Thanks again for your generous responses.

Ive-a budding nerd

5. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Media:
    Our first gen Ipad is three years old (as old as they get). It still looks and feels new. We haven't hit any incompatibilities yet and it still runs as fast as it did in April 2010.

6. RustE

RustE drifting about

I'm very happy with a first-gen iPad for the quick, on-the-go, type of work. Packs down decently well and boots quickly. I find the virtual keyboard to be fat-finger friendly but not suited for fast typing. It does have limitations with Adobe Flash content but HTML 5 converters can overcome this issue.

If I needed Internet access any-time and any-where I would get a Wi-Fi access point through my cell phone provider. Otherwise there are enough places to get free Wi-Fi access when traveling.

7. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Born in 38 huh. It seems that us older models are holding up quite nice these days. It must be our clean living. No smoking, drinking, or sex.

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  8. Vladimir Steblina

Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Media:
    Home Page:
    Old man, smoking and drinking are social imperatives. There are downsides to those. Sex is a biological imperative. The only downside to sex is the social imperatives, particularly if she is holding a 38........firearm that is.