(NFR) David 43-Goliath 42

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by IveofIone, Jan 2, 2007.

1. IveofIone Active Member

Ratings: +1,064 / 0
    I'm surprised that some of you Idaho guys haven't chimed in about this incredible game. It had everything-suspense, intrigue, drama, violence, a stunning victory and a crushing defeat, and in the end-romance! One of the best football games ever played anywhere at any level and won by a northwestern team.What theatre. If Hollywood made the movie and actually stuck to the script it would still be too far fetched to believe.

With every starch shirted and blazered BCS official praying for weeks that Boise State would lose so they could relegate them to the Prune Bowl or Tampon Bowl to be played in some obscure outpost on a December weekday at 10AM, Boise hung in there and pissed on the BCS(Bloated Corrupt System) parade. Hopefully this will drive the stake further into the heart of the BCS and that medieval dragon will eventually be slayed.

Good job Boise for striking a blow for the little guy. Ive
  2. Mike Ediger Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +152 / 8
    NFR: David 43-Goliath 42

Great synopsis Ive. I wanted to watch it but was out most of the evening. I walked in and turned on the TV just in time to watch Zambranski throw the pick and I thought, too bad, but at least they hung in there. Then I proceeded to watch the most amazing 1 minute of football that I have seen in a long time.
    Great win for BSU.
  3. TroutTamer Member

Seattle, Wa.
    Ratings: +0 / 0

Ya I could kick myself... bout the time you started watching was when I turned it off thinking basically the same thing.. Good game Boise, better luck next year..

UHG.....
  4. LT Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +2 / 0

I don't think its an exageration to say that was one of the all time great college football games, a true classic for those of us who love college football!
  5. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Ratings: +1,225 / 0

Absolutely! I married in to an Idaho family and a half dozen of my in-laws made the trip to Glendale yesterday, decked out in their blue and orange.

One online story this morning pointed out that OU coach Bob Stoops' salary is more than the entire budget for the BSU football program. Just goes to show money can't buy success.

K
  6. Jeff White Member

East Wenatchee

A classic! I was listening to the game on the radio as I graded papers. I turned the tv on a little past half-time and I am glad I did. Has to be one of the greatest college football games ever played. And certainly scream for a playoff system in DI football.
  7. Dan Soltau New Member

Bozeland, MT - Raleigh, NC
    Ratings: +2 / 0

when I lived in boise I went to Boise state games frequently, and I can tell you that they dont think of themselves as david, they have been having undefeated seasons for years and have beat some really good teams over the years. That was arguably the best football game televised in the last 7 years, go broncos!
  8. Mike Ediger Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +152 / 8

One online story this morning pointed out that OU coach Bob Stoops' salary is more than the entire budget for the BSU football program. Just goes to show money can't buy success.

K[/QUOTE]

That is amazing!
  9. roadhog professional freight relocator

spokane valley wa

if ohio state loses, does boise state get the national championship as the only undefeated team in div. 1??? too bad for boise state thats not the way it works. IMO it should have been ohio state and boise state for the title game as the only undefeated teams.:confused: :thumb: roadhog
  10. Steve Rohrbach Puget Sound Fly Fisher

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +43 / 0

One of the best college football games I have ever seen. Boise State has brought the fun back into football. The hook and ladder call to tie the game was amazing. Then in overtime they put the qb in motion? Finally, the game winning two point conversion on a version of the statue of liberty.
    They have won a new fan!
  11. Riane Mouse doctor

Seattle, WA

Unfortunately for me I am an OU alum and a Sooner fan. But I'm happy for Boise State and that was truly an amazing game. When you have not one but THREE trick plays work that probably work about 5 percent of the time, you just know its your night. Good for Boise State. I can make myself feel better because it wasn't really an important game for Oklahoma, no national championship involved or anything. But I must say the OK coaching staff certainly did not earn their paycheck last night, or the past few bowl games.
  12. Sloan Craven Active Member

NoSho, ma
    Ratings: +30 / 0

One of the best college football games ever!!!
    My favorite part of the the win as that it shoes that intelligent play calling and execution is going to win a game. Intelligent offensive play calling is almost gone.
    Also, to echo what others have said, there needs to be a revamp of the BCS system. Sports writers have too much power. There needs to be a set number of games every team plays in the regular season. A set number of those have to be conference games and a set number non conference games agains BCS conference opponenets. And each conference needs to play a set number of games against each of the other BCS conferences. That way the rankings are a combination of each team's rank is a combination of that teams rank in the conference and the conference rank against other conferences. Then a 4 0r 6 team play off.

Then how about that kid Ian Johnson proposing to his girlfriend after scoring the 2 point conversion.
  13. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure

Sloan, the BCS system has little to do with sports writers. In fact most writers support a national playoff series quite different from the current BCS system.

The BCS is a sort of consortium comprised of the six main college football conferences:
    Atlantic Coast Conference
    Big 12 Conference
    Big East Conference
    Big Ten Conference
    Pacific Ten Conference
    Southeastern Conference

These conferences and their component colleges potentially would have a lot of money to lose IF their teams didn't dominate the BCS rankings. Not eager to lose huge chunks of revenue, I'd be quite surprised if the BCS would ever support a playoff series.

K
  14. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure

Here's an interesting discussion of this year's BCS rankings and of the BCS series in general from Wikipedia.

K

2006-07 season
    Going into the final poll, undefeated Boise State and four one-loss teams (Louisville, Michigan, Wisconsin and Florida) were up for a spot against undefeated top-ranked Ohio State in the BCS National Championship game. Most fans and pundits did not consider Wisconsin, Louisville, and Boise State contenders because they played significantly weaker schedules than Florida and Michigan. Michigan lost to Ohio State 42-39, in its regular season finale, but was still ranked ahead of Florida going into the final ballot. Florida defeated Arkansas in the SEC Championship Game, leaving Michigan and Florida as one-loss teams who both claimed they deserved to play for the national championship against Ohio State. Many pundits denied that Michigan should get another chance to play Ohio State and Florida coach Urban Meyer lobbied heavily in the press using this argument. Ultimately, the BCS National Championship will be a meeting between Ohio State and Florida. A mere .0101 points separated #2 Florida from #3 Michigan. This small difference was a result of the human polls (USA Today's Coaches' Poll and Harris Interactive Poll) ranking Florida above Michigan while the computer polls had the two teams tied for second. Michigan went to the Rose Bowl, which they lost to USC 32-18.

Because of a BCS rule allowing only two teams from each conference to play in BCS bowl games, highly-ranked Arkansas, Auburn, and Wisconsin were not eligible for selection to a BCS game. Arkansas and Auburn were excluded because LSU and Florida already represented the SEC while Wisconsin was excluded because Ohio State and Michigan represented the Big Ten. The final BCS poll had seven teams from the SEC and the Big Ten ranked in the top twelve but by the rule only two from each conference were eligible to play in BCS bowl games, offering the opportunity to argue either that both conferences are overranked or that the limit of 2 teams from any one conference is inappropriate.

BCS support

While there is substantial criticism aimed the BCS system from coaches, media and fans alike, there is also ardent support for the system.

Supporters cite several key advantages that the BCS has over a playoff system. Under the BCS, a single defeat is extremely detrimental to a team's prospects for a national championship. Supporters contend that this creates a substantial incentive for teams to do their best to win every game. Under a playoff system, front-running teams could be in a position of safety at the end of the regular season and could pull or greatly reduce their use of top players in order to protect them from injuries or give them recovery time (this happens frequently in the NFL). It is even possible for a team to advantageously "tank" an end of season game if it results in the losing team playing a weaker (but higher seeded) team in the playoffs, similar to how the New England Patriots' loss to the Miami Dolphins in their last regular season game of the 2005-2006 NFL season ensured that they would not have to play the last-seed Pittsburgh Steelers. This is very unlikely to happen in the BCS system where a team in the running for a #1 or #2 ranking at the end of the year would be nearly certain to be punished in the polls enough for a loss that the team would be eliminated from contention.

Supporters also note that while the BCS routinely involves controversy about which two teams are the top teams, other times there is a clear-cut top two; the BCS ensures these top two will play each other for the championship. For example, USC and Texas in 2005 were the only undefeated teams, and both teams had only a couple of close contests and had nearly every other game out of reach for the opponent by the second or third quarter. Under the BCS system, these two teams got to play for the championship. Before the BCS, they would likely have played two other schools, and if they both won, then there would be either two champions, or else #2 Texas would have been denied a championship despite going 13-0. With a playoff, one of the teams might have been upset before reaching the championship game by a team with two losses, resulting in a less exciting matchup. However, a playoff would have avoided a co-champion outcome.

Another reason for supporting the BCS system is that it gives a large number of teams an opportunity to finish the post season on a victory with the multitude of bowl games. Under a playoff system only one team has the opportunity to do this and with over 100 teams in the current BCS system it would take over a century for every team to experience finishing the post-season with a victory with the very unlikely assumption of victories being evenly distributed. It is, however, likely that a playoff (which would most likely involve four to sixteen teams) would still allow schools who did not make the playoffs to participate in bowl games. The BCS format system is currently scheduled to end after the 2010 season. However, there has been one extension from the 2006 season for four years, so the system could be extended again.
  15. Mark Ritari Trouthunter

yea that game was intense. like 22 points scored in 80 some seconds! that pitch with seven seconds left was the most clutch play and execution iv seen in my life.
  16. Denny Active Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +46 / 0

THE best/most entertaining football I've ever seen! And, my team won! :beer2:
  17. Sloan Craven Active Member

NoSho, ma
    Ratings: +30 / 0

Kent, I have to respectfully disagree. The BCS is greatly weighted by sportswriters.
    From Harris interactive:
    The BCS standings formula for the 2006 season will consist of three components:

1. Harris Interactive College Football Poll
    2. USA Today Coaches Poll
    3. BCS six computer rankings (average)

The BCS formula will give equal weight to each of the three components.

The Harris Interactive College Football Poll consists of a large number of panalists that are current or former media. There are former coaches and players on the panel but these people have or are currently associated with some sort of media outlet.
    They determine 33.33% of the BCS rankings and for me that is too much.
    Another thrid is the USA today coaches poll which I also believe to be biased and should be eliminated.
    The last third of the formula are 6 independent computer generated computer polls that are averaged together and the top and bottom ranks for the average of each team are dropped to soften the wieghting. These computer rankings may or may not include strenght of schedule, W-L record, point totals, etc. It depends on the person running each computer ranking.

So I think that Harris determining 1/3 of the ranking is too much. and the coaches poll is also too much weight in the ranking.

I don't think that writers are inhibiting a playoff series, I agree that its the college presidents doing that. But they are messing up the ranking. ie. USC, Notre Dame, Boise State..
  18. Kevin J. Burnham Active Member

Auburn,Wa.
    Ratings: +140 / 0

Great game. I like it anytime the West beats the East or small school from West beats anyone !! Right on Broncos !!
  19. Les Johnson Les Johnson

.Redmond, WA
    Ratings: +6 / 0

If the BCS were truly the last level playing field, the undefeated team would be national champion; end of story. If Ohio State wins, being a Big Ten team and a real powerhouse, I would feel that it is only fair that they be crowned National Champions. Boise State University should be Number Two; also end of story. It might be a once-in-a-lifetime happening but it would be honest, fair and square for Boise State U. And.....it would show that every now and then there will be a Boise State can fight through the crowd and win. As for all the money floating around for the big colleges and a couple miss the big pay day now and then, too bad. You lose ....and you lose!
    Good Fishing,
    Les Johnson
  20. Randy Hardy Member

Woodinville, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1 / 0

That is amazing![/QUOTE]

While this is a less than positive result, this isn't the FIRST time OU's been to a BCS game. Stoop's is paid for success! There is huge pressure to win for this program, a 6-6 year might get him fired. It was a very good game but as an OU fan... I would have liked the score better if the game had ended with 31 secs. in regulation. bawling:

Randy