(NFR) Define "The Coast" - Washington

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Chromer, Mar 10, 2005.

?

Define "The Coast" in Washington

1. Anything west of cascades

15 vote(s)
    19.2%
  2. Anything west of Seattle

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  3. Anything west of Hood Canal

4 vote(s)
    5.1%
  4. Anything west of Olympics

48 vote(s)
    61.5%
  5. Something else

10 vote(s)
    12.8%
  1. This is a definition I've struggled with. Having lived both in Eastern Washington and Western Washington. How do you define it?

2. Chromer, Since this board is primarily West-Sidecentric your poll will be distorted by the uneven distribution of west side members. But what do they know? They all live on the coast to begin with-a fact we all recognize here on the east side. They have other problems as well with many calling everything from Yakima to Idaho the 'east side'. How confusing is that?! Just this week I had to drive 3 1/2 WEST to get to an 'east side' lake! Go figure, Ive

Ivebrakesforlakes west or east

3. For me, the coast is that part of washington that bumps up directly with the Pacific Ocean, not including Puget Sound or Hood Canal.

4. The coast is where the Pacific Ocean hits the west side of the continent. Everything else is inland.
    ]
    Dave

5. everything east of the cascades is Eastern WA....
    The coast is where the open ocean meets the land... thus, west of the Oylmpics. :thumb:

6. This can only mean the Pacific slaps up against the Cascade crest :ray1:

There is a conflict here.....somewhere... as "some" people consider anyone who lives over the mountains a "coastie".... I think...they are referring to a "mental posture" and not geographics possibly :confused: it's a dangerous generalization :hmmm:

When you live in Iowa the whole state of Washington is on the coast......so ? it's all relative... so we're back where we started :beathead:

7. When I went to EWU in Cheney some years ago, I was surprised how many people thought your car begins to rust as you cross the cascade crest, because you were on the coast.

8. I was born and raised in the Seattle area, however educated in Ellensburg. Thus "The Coast" in my jargon is anything west of the Cascades.

9. If you're in central WA or anywhere east of there, it's reasonable to think of anything west of the Cascade crest as "the Coast." For those of us who live in Wetter Washington, it's defined more narrowly. Really, who can think of the residents of North Bend or Darrington as "living on the Coast?"
    Some of the definitions seem to exclude Hood Canal, Puget Sound, and the Strait of Juan de Fuca. Rediculous! Water that contains seals, salmon trawlers and killer whales not part of the Coast?
    How about this for a reasonable definition: any waters, including lower rivers, affected by tidal flows, and the lands between same?

10. I was born and raised in B'ham. The only time I ever saw the coast was when the family took a long drive out to the ocean. Never did consider Pungent Sound as the coast.

11. Born & raised in Ohio. The entire state of Washington is considered the "LEFT Coast". No matter where the water is. The whole state is a bunch of wacked out freaks with no bearing on reality. After 4 years here, I'm only half kidding. But damn I love fishing here & there's some real good folks on this site....come to think of it, I don't miss ole' OH much anymore. uhhh, to answer your question, I'd say west of the Olympics.
    Flame away, I'm feelin' kinda cocky.

12. cmtundra, most of those freaks you mention are out of staters. :rofl: Have ALOT of first generation Washingtonians from CA and all over up here.

I grew up here, so did my Dad, but spent alot of time running back to Nebraska to work the family farm. Of course, they consider the whole state "coast". But for me, coast is butting up to the Pacific. You can tell the coast quite easily. Rugged, wind swept. Trees growing INLAND. Trees are sparse. Lots of jutted rocks here and there. But main thing, the Pacific is there. I live only a stones throw from Dash Point/Browns Point. I DO NOT live on the coast. Just live near some saltwater.

13. I agree with Jerry. I live yards off of the Strait, and the only thing louder than the waves tonight are the tree frogs and a riffle on the Lyre down in front of the house, and it ain't the coast, just some saltwater, maybe considered the "ocean" once in a while, when I have company over.

Take care all,
    Jeff

14. Well, I was "school'd" in New York and back there anything that hits salt water is the coast. I get the feeling this is less about geography and more about sociology, am I getting warm...?

BTW, back there the cars rusted out because of the salts applied to the roads in winter.

15. What are you,new. Everything west of the Cascades is the wet side and everything east of there is the dry side. All I worry about is going to the dry side since I seem to live in the wet side.. But the way this winter has been it seems that the wet side is the dry side. Confusing isn't it :rofl:

Jim

16. Jim,

This year both sides will be dry.

17. I live on the coast. All the surfers I know, and most of the commercial fishermen out here, define the "coast" of WA as everything South of Cape Flattery.
    The Strait of Juan de Fuca is known as "the Strait," and then there are the (Hood) Canal and the (Puget) Sound.
    This is mainly for reference, since the "coast" can also be more broadly defined to include all of the above. I mean, where do ya draw the line?
    But I usually think of the "coast" as bordering the open ocean.

Jimbo

18. Would a little specificity hurt? When heading west, I don't tell people I'm heading to the coast, I will usually name the town - Seattle, Portland, Indianola etc. The coast is very vague, could mean too many things. Washington or Oregon coast? Ocean Shores or Forks? Isn't Forks a little inland? I wonder what people who live in Forks say when they are heading to the coast? Do they differentiate?

For a bunch of folks who rely heavily upon maps, GPS coordinates, and obscure petroglyphs to locate zipper lip creeks, some of you could be a little more precise. ;)

19. there are several definitions of the word/term coast. When I say, "I'm going to the coast," I mean the ocean beach. When I say, "I'm going to the east coast," I'm flying east of the Mississippi. One is literal, the other is figurative.

20. Hey, I know of an obscure petroglyph on the coast! :p

Anyone else ever go down to the beach at "Cape B" (Arch-a-Wat) on the West side of Cape Flattery? On the south end of the beach there is a large flat rock up against the base of the cliff with the faint remains of a petroglyph.
    A Makah tribal member told me where to look. It is supposed to be a wolf's head inside of the outline of a whale, but it is very faint and hard to see. Took me a while to find it, and I never would have even seen the petroglyph if I had been looking right at it, if I hadn't been told about it beforehand.
    Even the trail to the beach there(steep, with rope ladder) is obscure! :ray1:

Jimbo