NFR: Demise of Livestock killing Cougar

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Itchy Dog, Apr 19, 2008.

1. Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Mount Vernon, WA
    Ratings: +106 / 0
    It's a freakin cat guys, mutiplying unchecked for five years now, only a matter of time before one lands on a kid. Hope it's not a grand kid. And another thing, this is a website for harvesting fish and wildlife, not another free willy and or green peace right , poor male lion screws up by killing another sheep and suddenly it should be let loose again??? I think these felines will be around here for the next few years since the tax payers of WA State voted the hound hunters out.
  2. Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Doo-vall
    Ratings: +447 / 1
    You are correct, Daryle- they're going to be around in healthy numbers, which in time will become unhealthy numbers, occasionally dispatched by contract trackers being paid with our tax dollars. It's my opinion that the best thing to do would be to revoke the law banning hound hunting. That way the cats that are becoming problematic would likely be taken by a few, dedicated, specialized hound hunters who would play an important role in game management (like they used to).
  3. Kaari White Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +31 / 0
    Keep in mind folks... there are lots of people that feel the same way when they see pictures of you grinning with a fish in your hands!

I hunt as well as fish. I kill a lot of birds every year with my dog and have plenty of pictures that look like the ones in this thread except with birds instead of a cat. What's the difference? I don't buy in to that cat being any more nobel than a pheasant.

If you want to feel sorry for animals, please take a look at the way your chicken, beef and pork was raised. That cougar has a life in the wild and was even granted a second chance.
  4. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,709 / 0
    For your information. It's open season on Wolf in Wyoming. But you can't kill them in Montana unless they are killing your livestock.

My wife has seen a pack off of Hiway 41 between Silver Star and Twin Bridges. Now that is close to home.

Jim
  5. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Ratings: +567 / 0
  6. cuponoodle breakfast Active Member

Arlington
    Ratings: +331 / 0
    The only sad part of the story is that we paid someone to do it when there are plenty of guys who would buy a tag for the opportunity. That pic with the cougar on the guy's back really shows its size.
  7. Matt Burke Active Member

Kenmore
    Ratings: +69 / 0
    Man, I'd pay.
  8. djzaro New Member

gone, bs
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    So what happens when the area we relocate these cougars to is turned into a neighborhood? Then there old habitat is now a place they will be shot if they hunt there... which is what it was doing in monroe, his home. I'm not against killing them to keep us safe and thin the heard but at some point we can't just keep relocating, we have to learn to live with them. They are not coming into our cities, we are building in their habitat. Same gos for all wildlife. I am not an animal rights activist, accually I tend to hate their ambitions most of the time. But I thought this story was sad as I admire such majestic animals. I think eventually we will squeeze them out into the snow country( areas we won't build developments) and they will thin their own with our help because of limited habitats. Populations will fall then maintain at that level. It is a nessasary evil but needed, just made me sad to see such an animal killed for our sake.
  9. Loopy Member

St Albans Old England
    Ratings: +6 / 0

iagree

Lovely looking animal and truly wild. Could have done with a bit of C&R.
  10. junebug41 Junior Dave Monti fan

Seattle, WA

Where does one draw the line, Daryle? You appear to be of the camp that every animal posing any threat to humans should be eliminated. Would you be satisfied with just eradicating all bears and cats within, say, 20 miles of the nearest human dwelling? Or would you be most comfortable in a world where mankind has completed its work of eliminating such threatening animals entirely. Hey -- we're more than 90% of the way there, why not finish the job, right?

The Mountain Lion roamed from the edge of the polar tundra in Canada to the southern tip of Argentina, and from the Pacific to the Atlantic, before being wiped out of most of its range in the 19th and 20th centuries because, hey -- it might get somebody's grand kid. I can't comprehend how anyone who appreciates nature isn't saddened by that. Maybe I assume too much to think that all flyfishers appreciate nature.

This is not a political issue. It's simply a philosophical one about what kind of world you prefer to live in. Personally, I'm glad I won't be around to see the day that we've truly conquered every other living thing and made it completely "safe" to go into the woods.

By the way, bees killed more people last year in this country than lions have in recorded U.S. history. Better grab a can of Raid and a flyswatter and get to work, folks!
  11. Jon Borcherding New Member

Tacoma, WA
    I have participated in several cougar hunts using hounds to track and tree the cougars. Cougar meat is very much like lean pork. Cougar chops are excellent grill fare and, being very lean, can benefit from some added fat in the form of a bacon wrap. Most people would have difficulty discerning the difference between this feline's meat and pork if it were used in, oh, say for example, sweet and sour "pork".
    I enjoy the meat and would be happy to take it off your hands if you are a successful cougar hunter and don't wish to use the meat yourself.

Some previous posters referred to the killing of this cat as a "shame". I would like to state for the record that I enjoy killing my own meat and that I also have a tendency to smile when being photographed with a fresh kill. I feel not a shred of remorse, guilt, or shame for killing animals that I intend to eat.

It is legal under current law to pursue with hounds and kill cougars in 5 WA counties. There are also numerous "Public Safety Cougar Removal" hunts. These hunts are all conducted under "permit only" conditions and are monitored closely by WDFW. Cougars, as a species, are niether threatened nor endangered.

It is my personal belief that it is not possible to live on this earth without taking life, either directly or indirectly. The energy transactions neccessary to feed, clothe, shelter, and provide water for humans results in countless deaths of plants and animals every minute of every day. It seems to me the height of hypocrisy when those who prefer to take life indirectly claim some sort of moral superiority over those who choose to take life directly.

Perhaps a more responsible course would be to fine tune one's awareness of the life / death conundrum and attempt to live a life that recognizes the inevitability of death but seeks to minimize suffering.

JonB
  12. Fishful Thinking Member

Redmond, WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    Another factor playing a role here may be one of economics. To trap, collar and release a cougar must take a bit of money. How many times is an agency willing to invest that kind of money? Continuing to trap an animal proven to be a livestock predator would probably look like throwing good money after bad for the agency. I'm sure if resources were unlimited for this kind of thing the animal could have been relocated far farther from civilation, but I don't see that happening on a budget.
  13. Brett Angel Member

Sammamish, WA
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    I am saddened to see the cougar shot. It's another example of our diminishing resources which affect all outdoorsmen.
  14. Ryan Francis HUMILITY IS NOT THINKING LESS OF ME, BUT THINKING

KALISPELL, MONTANA
    What a beautiful animal. Sad as it is, it is necessary, once the animal has taken advantage of easy prey such as livestock, pets, etc. they
    tend to not leave and become braver, small children then become at risk. Years ago, I was playing softball in Port Angeles and went to a
    barbeque, the main course was cougar, I have to say it was delicious
  15. Todd123 New Member

Santa Rosa, Ca
    Its sad in a way how much respect people have for a certain fish species but not for wildlife and all nature in general. Catch and release should be the way in many of situtations and not just confined to fishing...Its to bad really.
  16. HauntedByWaters Active Member

Bellingham
    Ratings: +105 / 0
    It is only matter of time before these cougars start collecting wellfare.
  17. alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Hiding in your closet
    Ratings: +74 / 0
    What's to hate about a cougar?

[IMG]
  18. Kaari White Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +31 / 0
    Fishing, even C&R is still a blood sport. I have great respect for nature...and I fish/hunt.
  19. fullerfly Calvin Fuller

Sandpoint, ID
    If the cougar ate your dog/cat/sheep/cattle/etc.. you would all feel different. Back to the Wyoming wolf comment. If wolves were eating your livestock..wouldn't you would shoot them too?? Or would you simply watch thousands of dollars go up in smoke. Hard to picture living in Western Washington.
  20. HauntedByWaters Active Member

Bellingham
    Ratings: +105 / 0
    This was a joke.

Protecting livestock is def. one of the times an animal should be shot.

I think sport hunting for cougars with hounds is a little bit rediculous though.