(NFR) Disaster of Epic Proportions

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Steve Buckner, Dec 30, 2004.

1. Jason Baker

Jason Baker Member

Bob:

If you are happy with your response, I am as well.

You used the words "thieves, scoundrels, and bandits" in your post. This will of course raise some eyebrows. If you'd like to make a more subtle point, use some less inflamatory words. Most 7th graders could help you compose a better paragraph if you were truly trying to show you supported the Red Cross and the "Arabs". Secondarily, most of the people affected were not "Arabs", nor do they share the same religion as the "Arabs." I don't use generalized terms for groups of people when they are vastly different in beliefs, tradtions, and customs. My life experience has told me that it's a poor idea to lump people into groups. The people affected were of many religions and ethnicities. Let's pray for them all....

2. coonrad

coonrad New Member

Yeah

This is from an email from a women in Padang.
    Padang wasn't directly impacted by the wave, but interesting nonetheless:

>The river our hotel sits on went nearly dry, water was sucked out at high
    >speed, then came rushing back. I think the rivers are the only thing that
    >saved Padang from coastal flooding. Easily, in 3 minutes, at least 1 ?
    >meters of water rushed out of the river, then for 5 minutes stopped moving,
    >then in 5 minutes, it had filled up again. It was a sight to see. All day
    >and all night it continued like this. There were squid swimming in our
    >river... never seen that before. Dogs were howling and barking all day and
    >night, cockroaches were leaving the fishing boats by the hundreds via ropes
    >tied to the land, leeches were climbing the banks to get away from the salt
    >water. I actually saw flying fish... in our river.

That is amazing that the cockroaches knew what was up and decided to abandon ship.

I think it's a sixth sense that humans once had and lost through our
    'domestication.' I think it may still be present in modern hunter gatherers
    and people that still have an initmate connection to nature.

coornad

3. Bright Rivers

Bright Rivers Member

I think ol' Bob was just trying to say we should help these poor people. And he's right. If he made a mistake in lumping all the victims into a group, I made a similar mistake a couple days ago.

My wife says, "Honey, I just heard this heartbreaking story about a mother in Somalia who lost her whole family in the tsunami."

"Sweetie," I say (that's the term of affection I use when I'm about to be condescending), "I think you mean Indonesia."

"No, Somalia. Where the tsunami hit," she says.

"Dear," I say, "the tsunami hit Indonesia and Thailand. Somalia isn't even on the same corner of the globe. It's on a completely different continent. Africa, in fact."

My fetching wife (having learned more than a decade ago what you people have suspected for mere months), knowing that I'm right about 40% of the time (making me 10% dumber than two bits), stuck to her guns and exlained what I would later learn from a map on CNN. That this disasterous wave had crossed two oceans and killed scores of people from Thailand to India to Sri Lanka to Somalia and Kenya. The scope of the carnage is literally mind boggling. I'm not sure there has ever in history been a catastrophe that has affected so many diverse people over such a large area.

The world itself is in crisis.

4. BOBLAWLESS

BOBLAWLESS New Member

Good words, Bright Rivers. What with the war in Iraq and the fear of Iran as a nuclear power and the North African immigration into Southern France and Germany with riots in the Netherlands, we would be fools to pretend that the Arab world is not in crsis with the U.S. and Europe. It would be more clear to differentiate between Arabs and Muslims, though they both share the same religious values. In a way that was my point, however poorly stated.

My hope is that this ongoing cultural clash between Christains and Islam will not impede relief efforts. That people will see people as just that-people- and not a religious or cultural group which they dislike is at the seat of understanding and the furtherance of tolerance and an end to prejudice.

Bob, the I worked my whole life helping minorities of one sort or another in the ghettto school where I taught. To be called a racist does just rattle my cage a bit. :eek:

5. Trevor

Trevor New Member

I think that one of the things that I find most admirable in these times is that in these times of "me" how people will bend over backwards to help other people. Not just governments but regular ole people.

It's true that we pay much less than other countries in terms of taxes. Consequently, there are some things that other countries have that we don't (i.e. socialized medicine). One of the things that it does allow us is the decision of where to spend our individual money. If you want the new fly rod, you can save your pennies and get it. If you want to give to the charity, you can do that too. The point is that it's your choice. I made the choice between a new vise and giving to the relief effort and feel pretty good about the decision.

In addition to government, a great number of private companies are donating monetary and other aid for the victims. I read a great article about some of the big multinationals giving millions. My company is giving $700K plus matching any employee donations up to $350US for each employee. I think that's pretty cool.

I truly empathize with with the folks in that neck of the woods, but it does warm my heart to see the tremendous outpouring from the entire world including organizations large and small.

T

6. David Holmes

David Holmes Formerly known as "capmblade"

Doctors Without Borders has a handy form that you can print out and mail in a check.

http://www.doctorswithoutborders-usa.org/donate/

IMHO, we as American citizens must give generously if our government is only going to cough up a measly $35M. That was the number I heard yesterday -- I hope it has since increased to $35B.

7. Mike Etgen

Mike Etgen Not Quite A Luddite, But Can See One From Here

On the way home I was listening to the news on NPR and Colin Powell had announced earlier in the day that US Goverment contributions are being raised to $350 million - an increase of ten-fold.

Interesting comments on this post, by the way. I recall my son calling me from back east on 9/11 and among other things, observing that the World Trade Center attecks were probably the biggest thing to have happened in his lifetime. I agreed, to include my own lifetime. Now I'm thinking this may top even that. I personally can't even begin to get my mind wrapped around a disaster as big as this one. Even the financial contributions we've all (governments, corporations, individuals), generous as they are. seem so inadequate. The plight of surviving children in particular has impacted my thoughts. I can't even imagine seeing one's entire world - parents, brothers, sisters, home - wiped away in a cosmic blink of an eye.

It does, however, do me good to see how the people of this planet have reached out to assist their brethren. These kind of things, from the smallest and inconsequential setback to something as large as this, have a way of bringing out our best nature. Sure, mistakes will be made - I heard an incredible acount yesterday about how an Indonesian bureaucrat has postpones meeting with an Australian disaster relief representative because he hadn't officially started in his new position - but collectively, I think we'll see something nearly miraculous occur over time. And maybe some of those who divide the globe into good and evil will begin to recognize how really connected we all are.

We're an interesting, bewildering, and sometimes magnificent species, aren't we?

8. loneangler

loneangler New Member

your only off by 316 million dollars, the US is giving 350 million dollars to help out. but you were soo close...

9. Rob Bodkin

Rob Bodkin Member

At the time of his post he was accurate, we increased the amount later, after much pressure.

I was in the Navy in the late 80's, aircrew in large mine sweeping helicopters. We were stationed in San Fransisco during the world series quake in 89', we lifted heavy equipment onto the collapsed Nimitz freeway and flew food and water to cities that were briefly cut off by broken roads. it was the greatest experience of that 4 year hitch. That experience can not even compare to what our fleet is now doing in support of this deal, but it sure does feel great to see the fleet overseas showing the world what we are truly made of. Perhaps it will leave as indelible an imprint on the world as the pictures from Iraqi, but I fear it will not.

10. Angler 77

Angler 77 AKA Scott Jones

A girl from my work was in Indonesia at the time. With the rising death toll and the fact that none of us had heard anything from her the outlook was looking darker by the minute. Well I got a phone call from her an hour ago!!! She is in Vancouver and overjoyed to be home and alive.

Have a safe New Year!

11. Cactus

Cactus Dana Miller

I'm glad your friend is OK. One of my co-workers still has not heard from his daughter, who was in Thailand! :(

12. Angler 77

Angler 77 AKA Scott Jones

Cactus, thank you hopefully you'll hear something soon. Best wishes.

13. coonrad

coonrad New Member

I don't normally reply to my own posts :p but I came across this:

Hope for Survival of Asia's Stone Age Tribes After Tsunamis

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines05/0103-05.htm

>Published reports in the Indian press suggested that the survival of the four
    >groups may have been attributable, in part at least, to their accumulated
    >knowledge of the sea's movements.

>Several reports suggested that at least two of the groups ran for higher
    >ground well before the tsunami hit the coasts.

Good onya cave people! I wish I was as dialed in to nature as they are, I know I'd catch more fish.

Also, it sounds like they don't want to have anything to do with the 2 billion dollars of aid headed their way:

>They greeted a helicopter that flew over the island--which is impossible to
    >reach by sea--with arrows and rocks.

:thumb: