(NFR) Do you carry a gun while fishing?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by TroutHunterJohn, Jul 16, 2005.

1. jabseattle

jabseattle jabs

Media:
    Do you carry a gun while fishing?

I don't carry a gun while fishing though I have thought about it and may pack in the future. I think it really depends where you are fishing if it warrants a gun or not. I would feel safer if I was packing on some of my trips.

Instead I pack some heat in Thunder(left hook) and Lightning (right hook more of haymaker) :rofl: It would be tough to defend a speeding bullet or shell but it has worked for me so far.

One time not knowing my buddy was packing on the Yakima (come on the Yakima) of course this was off peak season and in a stretch with little traffic. He decides to be funny and caps one off from behind me was I was fishing this hole needless to say not knowing where fire was coming from as it sounded like it was coming from the thicket across the river I thought we were taking incoming fire from property owners or hunters until I heard this laughing behind me. Yeah he saw a small Lightning strike that day :ray1:

2. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:

Well I was defending my rights one time and instructed by a Deputy Sheriff. To shoot to kill and then drag the victim into the house. Well I shot and missed and was sorry I did that for a long time after. It is a funny feeling knowing that you are shooting at somebody with the intent to kill. It just didn't set right with me. SO I have givin up on owning any guns. I don't like the power it gives one's self.

Maybe in a time of war it is ok but us knowing and shooting to protect our own is something else.

I'm not against owning guns it's just that I don't.

Jim

3. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:

Jim, when you drag the guy back into the house, you'll have to figure out how you'll explain the trail of blood coming from your driveway and leading back to the body... ;)

If a guy is outside my house, I have my wife call 911 and I inspect with shotgun in hand. If the guy bolts and runs, fine... If a dude decides he wants to visit us IN the house, it is shoot first, ask questions later. I'm not going to sit down and chat with him about his intentions... "so listen buddy, are you just looking for some jewlery, or are you going to tie me up and rape my wife and kids?"

4. Willie Bodger

Willie Bodger Still, nothing clever to say...

Media:

An interesting thread...

I got my CPL with the intent to get a pistol to carry with me on the water, but I was thinking more for bear and cougar and the .50 caliber the bear would take seemd a little bulky (but kinda fun anyway). Then I started to hear about the 'folks' that some have run into and decided that perhaps I should concentrate on Greenlake (still want to catch one of those Tiger Muskies) and saltwater fishing.

And then around the house I kinda like the Louisville Slugger because even if the kids get ahold of it they can't do much damage, but get that thing going 100+ mph and it'll stop somebody pretty well until the kids get a little older and we can talk guns... ;)

wb

5. cmtundra

cmtundra New Member

Media:

Well, I am a gun owner and somewhat of a gun advocate. I have only carried one time while fishing & that was because I was in an area that'd had some recent problems with bears. While the "2-legged crazies" may be a real threat, I think that if you did some research, you'd probably find a lot more fishermen have been killed by the "4-legged furries". I know we all love nature, but nonetheless, bears do kill fishermen from time to time -probably more often than people do. I say this, not having done any research, but simply based on the number of bear stories & the number of human stories I've heard. I can't think of one instance where I've heard of a fisherman being killed by another person on the river. Maybe it happens all the time, but the stories never floated my way. In light of bears, it's best to go no smaller than a .41 cal in a revolver, and if you're carrying an auto you'd best step up to the 10 mil...or so the "experts" say. Me...my only pistol is a 9mil. If I face a bear, it'll have to do. I'll just have to wait till the things on top of me & unload point blank.

In light of Bhudda's scuffle, I'm glad he stood up & don't fault him a bit. However, that scenario as I read it, didn't cause me to rethink carrying a gun on the water. The situation to me sounded very avoidable. Even after the guy came with the bottle, it doesn't say he was boxed-in with no hope of escape. In the same situation, withOUT a gun, I might have reacted the same. In the same situation WITH a gun, I would've avoided the dude at all costs, short of being killed myself. There's a difference between making a point by coming to blows (which I believe occasionally may be called for) and taking a person's life.

While I've definitely seen some seedy characters on the river, I've always managed to steer clear & have never had to defend myself. I do carry a 6" filliet knife with me fishing, & it's not usually for filleting. The two times I've come close to unsheathing my knife have been because of dogs.

I have no problem shooting someone in self-defence, but I don't feel so threatened on the water that it warrants packing heat. I agree with a lot of what VancouverFisher said. My dad SO instilled gun safety into me (as did the army), that I'm almost too cognizant that it's there & I never really relax completely when I'm packing. I think if a person relaxes too much with a gun on their side, I probably don't want to be fishing/hunting with them. I've banned hunting partners that were too free with where their muzzle was pointing. So like Vancouver said, I like to relax while I fish...so I normally don't pack. If I felt the need to on a certain piece of water, I'd probably find a different piece of water where I didn't feel that need.

.....blah, blah....I'll cease from my rambling now.

BUT, one quick question --Who actually has a tale of someone being attacked or killed while fishing?

6. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Media:

I don't guns are stupid sometimes I carry pepper spray but bears are usually very afraid of you

7. cuponoodle breakfast

cuponoodle breakfast Active Member

I don't remember exactly when this happened, maybe 8-10 years ago. A fisherman was killed on the SF Stilly after offering a young woman a ride. Again, I don't remember all the details. She either stabbed him or shot him in his truck, then she and her two male friends took his vehicle. He let her in his truck which proved to be a mistake, but she and her accomplices could have easily encountered him while he was on the roadside stringing up his rod.

8. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:

He wasn't fishing, he was just being a nice guy and gave this girl a lift out of the woods off of Scott road I believe,up by Granite Falls. He picked her up and she had him stop to pick up one of the males and they killed him for his pickup truck. It was kind of a sensless killing.

Since then I don't pick up any hitch hikers. No matter how old/young they are,unless I know them.

Jim

P.S. You used to be able to drive around up there in the woods and there were a few tranisent camps up in there. But since that killing they closed off that area. It is all gated now.

9. salt dog

salt dog card shark

Media:
    In an altercation, do not escalate. Unless you are facing an adversary armed with a deadly weapon, you may not use deadly force, and will be prosecuted for doing so. If you are on the loosing end of a fist fight and have a gun or a knife, you will probably use it, and you will be prosecuted.

Early on in my life my buddy and I were in a place back east we shouldn't have been in and got mugged by six adolescents in a parking lot. I use to carry an empty revolver; After they had popped my buddy, I grabbed the gun and made the big scene brandishing it and it scarred them off. I realized several things later. One, that if it had been loaded without any doubt I would have shot one of them; actually, I would have shot as many of them as I could have; that was my instinctual response to my gut level 'fight or flight' response: nuke'em. There was no reasoning involved, no calm head, it was automatic and immediate.

As scary as the situation appeared to be at the time, on retrospect it was just some young punk kids trying to be tough, and I would have escalated it well beyond any apparent need. A bloody nose, skinned elbow and damaged pride does not merit someone being dead. The other thing, if one of the muggers had a gun, I would have been shot, a result that I would not have liked, but a result that I would have been directly responsible for creating.

In the heat of an altercation, count on your "judgment" being quite poor, you're actions instinctual, and the likelihood of using a deadly weapon from anger or fear will be extremely high, automatic, and will escalate the situation. Instead of simple assault by the perpetrator, you're looking at manslaughter, with jail time, and civil defense costs taking your home and life savings, even if vindicated by a jury. Especially in King County, the prosecutor will try to make an example of you because that’s what you can expect from a bunch of flaming left of Mao Tse Tung liberals (fishing related, guns and political, three stars! buhya).

As a result largely of that experience, I do not carry outside the home for my personal protection. I do carry when going to the city after dark with my family: the legal standards are much more lax when dealing with coming to the aid or defense of another. Needless to say, in the event of a burglary, it's body bag time one step inside the door.

I have yet the pleasure to meet bhudda, but I bet if had he been carrying he would have used it, and that would have regretful only because of the consequences he might have faced. He has all of our sympathy because we know it could just as easily happened to any of us. What that guy did was outrageous and senseless, and I wouldn't be sorry if somebody took that guy out. But I would not have liked to see buddha, or anyone, get into the crap that would have hit him had he responded with a gun.

Be careful out there.

10. MacTFO

MacTFO New Member

Not to start a fight or anything, but if you carry a gun, why not have it loaded??

11. salt dog

salt dog card shark

Media:
    Ya, fair question, but it begs the initial question as to why carry a gun at all.

In any event: I was 17 at the time, to young to get a permit, and my Dad would have killed me if he even knew I had one, period, or that I had a reason to carry one. Carrying an unloaded pistol was not an criminal offense.

In fact the gun was a .22 cal revolver, and had no firing pin, so bullets were kinda optional under those circumstances. :rofl: But there was this gang from a rival high school that had targeted some of my friends and had tore up a couple of their cars, of course there was retaliation, and so they were trying to single out guys when the odds were 4 to 1 or so; I wanted an equalizer, and so I carried the pistol under my dash and a Louisville Slugger under my seat, and chains in the trunk. Something to do with a couple of girls (of course). So the answer to your question, like the reason we faced the problem in the first place, we were all young, bold and stupid, summer nights were long and hot, and kids got bored, beer was easy to get, and they had not yet created malls or the internet. Also, many were under the influence of gear fishermen, :eek:, and fly fishing was something done by the Vanderbilts in the Catskills.

The group that jumped me and my bud was a different gang entirely. Growing up in some places back east 30 years ago was not totally different than today, you had to watch your backside or could end up in the hospital; except today the guns are all high caliber and loaded, everybody is carrying, and they are well organized.

Fortunately, I wised up faster than most and got out of there when I went to college; many ended up in jail, thrown out of HS school, selling drugs, and others on the lam. The lessons are still with me today.

12. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    "guns are stupid "

True. Last I heard, their IQ scores were very low and not one had graduated from an accredited college\university... But thanks for the reminder ;)

13. Desmond Wiles

Desmond Wiles Sir Castaline

Media:
    We can always count on you Chad to point out the obvious! ;)

14. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Media:
    You totally quoted that run on sentence out of context. It was "guns are stupid sometimes", or possibly "I don't guns" and "sometime I carry". Wait, maybe it's really an intricate riddle designed to confuse his enemies. With a weapon like that, who needs guns?

15. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    Good point. Back to just using your brain ;)

16. akghillie

akghillie Rule of the 7 P's

Media:
    I don't carry a gun fishing - anymore.
    I used to carry a shotgun when I was guiding in Alaska but even that was more for reassuring clients against the 'threat' of bears. In five years of guiding and 15+ years of fishing in Alaska I never shot at a living thing. Did I have the shotgun out and ready? Yes, a few times but keeping cool and NOT using the gun got us out of those jams. The one time I can think of where I might have used the shotgun was when my tent got shredded, with me in it. Even then, ANY gun would have been useless - I had clients who could have been hit had I popped off a couple of rounds.

Carrying anything less than a Kasul, Desert Eagle, Ruger Super Blackhawk or at least a .357 will not stop the Boys in Brown Suits, a cougar or even a black bear that is intent on getting you. If you carry something small to ward of animals, you better file the front site off so when you jam it up your *ss to blow your head off right before you get munched, it doesn't hurt as much. Hand cannons don't fit in vests and aren't practical for carrying on stream - in this region.
    I did carry a .32 special a few times fishing back East in the Appalachians after some run ins with the Boys from Deliverance (no, we didn't sqeal like pigs) but I strangely felt less safe and secure. My preference is to turn the other cheek while I dial 911 or beat feet to the nearest Ranger Station.
    Plus, you know, when I'm fishing I like to have a couple of PBR's and maybe a snort or two of good whiskey and in my experience, guns and alcohol do not mix. Maybe I have my priorities mixed up but I'd rather have a frosty beverage than feel steel in my vest or waders. Just my penny...

17. tyeechuck

tyeechuck Member

Pack a weapon?
    Hell! I don't even want to pack another flybox. Most flyfishers carry too much gear already to add the weight of a gun. The gun adds to their danger of drowning (a problem most flyfishers are more to face on a regular basis than a bad bubba). I want to simplify my time spent fishing. Just because it might work better I usually see no need to even carry a spare spool while beach fishing. Like Randy Knapp my Pflueger is heavy enuf. Packing a gun also weighs too heavy on the mind.

Jim Koolick

18. Tightline

Tightline Brian Perry

Media:
    No. Nothing against them. I have spent countless hours in crazy places. Here, there, everywhere and I have never once had an experience that left me wishing I had one. Even when I encountered the crazy squirrel hunter in the Southern Appalachians who was packing 4 rifles and a handgun. We talked about squirrels (in my thickest attempt at a Southern accent). I suppose I must be lucky.

~B

19. salt dog

salt dog card shark

Media:
    Tyeechuck, good point, that's probably the best reason yet for not carrying. I feel like a pack mule as it is, and keep looking to find ways to drop more weight. I sure as heck don't want the weight of .357; might as well tie an anchor to my lapel.

I know, a gun bearer! I need a gun boy to tote my weapon of choice, and some beaters to chase off the other fishermen. :ray1: Who's up for a fishing safari? (sung to the tune of the Beach Boys' Surfing Safari).

20. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    Chad, most inanimate objects are stupid. It's the stupid animated ones you have to worry about. So, are folks with degrees safer because of them? :confused: :clown: