(NFR) Do you carry a gun while fishing?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by TroutHunterJohn, Jul 16, 2005.

1. Richard Torres

Richard Torres Active Member

Media:
    Nope!
    Give us large amounts of alcohol (or any mind altering drug for that matter), a deadly weapon, and an excuse to use it....
    Happens every day.

2. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    "Chad, most inanimate objects are stupid."

Roper, you got me there... I hadn't even thought of that...

So if MOST inanimate objects are stupid, that must mean that SOME are smart... Hmmmm... ;)

3. OldDog

OldDog New Member

Do you carry a gun while fishing?

Sorry to resurrect a six year old thread, but it was a Google search on carrying while fishing that led me here.

I seldom get time to fish as much as I'd like to anymore. It's still one of my obsessions, but most of the fishing I do these days is endocranial in nature, reflecting back on experiences of the past.

I have a CCW license, and I carry most places I go. I do carry on the rare occasions on which I have a chance to fish. Situational awareness (yeah, a buzz phrase) and a strong commitment to avoiding the necessity for using my gun are paramount concerns, whether it's in retail parking lots or along a stream at 9,000 ft. above sea level. I will go out of my way to avoid physical confrontations, but if I am attacked physically, the chances for that to escalate to a potential life threatening condition have dramatically increased, and using my gun rather than losing it would obviously be a factor in my decisions.

Gotta go to work. I'll check back later and see if there's any renewed interest in discussing this issue. It's interesting to also hear from people who don't carry firearms, rather than what I get on the various gun fora--a bunch of people who mostly all think the same way on an issue function mainly as an echo chamber for the dominant view.

Strange way to introduce myself to the forum; apologies if I've violation protocol.

OldDog

4. Flyborg

Flyborg Active Member

Media:
    I carry a 12' caning stick. And if you've never been hit by one, let me tell you. IT HURTS.

5. PT

PT Physhicist

OldDog, just re-read this thread. Or search for "guns." You'll get more than enough different opinions without re-starting the once every 6 month gun thread. If you carry you're paranoid, if you don't you're naive. If you have to carry maybe you shouldn't be fishing in the first place. I want to carry because I enjoy this activity and don't want to bow to the criminal element. The arguments never change no matter how long a thread has been sleeping.

6. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Media:
    Home Page:
    "You'll put your eye out"!!!

7. fishin_doc

fishin_doc New Member

absolutely. I always carry my Glock 23 it is small enough to fit in the chest pocket of my waders or my fishing vest, and it is light enough to not bother me during a long day of fishing.

8. Jim Riggins

Jim Riggins Member

I carry a Ruger 9mm. I have an outfitters chest holster which is directly behind my wader front pocket. We have crazy's down here in SW Wa. as well. Oh and I did buy a Taurus Tracker 44 mag for AK.

9. Matthew LeBret

Matthew LeBret Active Member

Media:
    I carry for the soul purpose of improving my celebration dance. After I land a big fish I spike it on the ground/rocks and fire aimlessly into the air. Its one hell of a show. :thumb: But on a serious note I do pack *holstered* depending on where I am going it works out to be about 20% of the time.

10. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

I just don't shower for five days before evey outing, and nothing and no one f---s with me. This is particularly effective since I fish every three to four days.

11. mx610ktm

mx610ktm Member

Media:
    I think of a story a few years back when an ex police officer at church was carrying a pistol and killed a man who was shooting up her church. how many more would the shooter have killed had she not. I would rather have one and not need it than be regretting i didnt bring one.

12. TheHunt

TheHunt Member

I have carried depending on location and if my family is with me. It is never out in the open and it would only be used if there was no way out alive for my family or myself. I have never been in a situation yet (Knock on wood) to even think about pulling it out.

13. Jerry White

Jerry White Member

When we are on the river, we always carry... .45 caliber squirt guns. Stops bad guys in their tracks.:clown:

14. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

I carry "sometimes"
    If I'm headed to some "put and takes" I carry and I carry open.
    I get to launch my boat without running over the folks that don't have fishing lic. that swim in the boat launch.
    It's easy, get out of the truck with the hog leg strapped to yer hip and all the little people get out of the way without saying a word and the moms and dads get off the boat launch dock also.
    In all my years of carrying open I have never had any LEO ask me why I'm packing, I have never had anyone tell I couldn't carry in the store or cafe, minute market, ect.
    When in doubt I don't carry open, what people can't see don't hunt them none.
    I don't carry when I'm wade fishing, the extra weight is the issue.

15. OldDog

OldDog New Member

Thanks for the replies.

I'm one of the guys who used to think that carrying was the act of an overactive imagination and/or paranoia. I don't think I've developed paranoia since those days, so I reckon I was wrong. I carry my Ruger LCR and/or Beretta PX-4 Storm .40, pretty much everywhere away from my house except work, where I never carry due to an adverse benefit to risk ratio and probable (never checked) work regs against it.

16. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

That is as good a reason as any to contemplate packing heat. Note I said contemplate. I would highly recommend anyone, indeed everyone, faced with this decision, do the research. Become fully aware of the ramifications. Take a course on concealed carry. We are not talking about defending you right to fish a piece of water. Nor are we discussing defending your Mother's dignity, or your own! Drawing a gun on an asshole may well push him over the edge. Never threaten someone with anything, unless you are prepared to back up the threat. These are the things one learns, and why one needs to enroll in a concealed carry class.

The right of the people to keep & bear arms, like any right, carries with it, a responsibility. One not to be taken lightly! As reflected in response to this post, not all people are willing to accept this responsibility. That is their choice.

Should you chose to pursue this further, a compact .380 would be my starting point.

17. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

I nominate this as the best old thread rebirth of the week

18. Nate Dutton

Nate Dutton I'm a teacher, I fish to eat!

Media:
    Like a condom, better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

19. Jon Brengan

Jon Brengan flyfishing addict

I find it interesting that this post is here...today. Yesterday I was fishing a tailout on the Sky I was well out mid channel fishing the far bank. A boat approached up river, I assumed they would pass behind me and kept casting. Next thing I know this guy is like drifting by me not 30 ft from me. Yeah he turned off his motor but is floating over the drift I'm fishing in. I probably muttered something like "are you kidding me" loud enough that they both turn my direction. I was pissed, then the one guy fires up the boat and points it right toward me and his buddy says "I feel like coming over there and kicking the crap out of that *&$@!! flyfishing guy" as he picks up an oar and points it my direction, I took a few steps backward but realized the bank was 30 yrds off and they were closing the distance faster than I could get to shallow water. I jestured as if I had something at my shoulder,(my imaginary piece) he thinks twice and positions the boat downstream again, cussing and carrying on, before floating off. I moved off myself and watched them drive up and down through the next couple holes downstream of me - pissing off more than a few others. I had never ever thought about this situation before yesterday. I am there to have fun, not end up dead because of a few jerks in their boat on the river. Very interesting point though, and interesting comments from the group.
    JB

20. PT

PT Physhicist

As they were floating down toward you I don't suppose you pointed or asked if they'd float in behind you? I've been in that situation a hundred times and have always been able to communicate to the boat operator what I wanted and they always obliged.

Reaching for an imaginary gun is..... well, not a good idea. EVER!