(NFR) Dog fish activity in the south puget sound

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by msteudel, Dec 26, 2003.

1. msteudel

msteudel Mark Steudel

Media:
    Home Page:
    Are there any biologists that can tell me what time of year to look for mass dog fish activity in the south puget sound? My parents live on the water and one year my brother was down on the water, and there were hundreds of dog fish splashing and moving around right at the waters edge. I think it'd be neat to watch the phemenon and was wondering if anyone could give me (posted or pm'd) informatino on times to look for this.

Thanks, Mark

2. Roger Stephens

Roger Stephens Active Member

In south Puget Sound there are three timings(early, normal, and late) of the chum salmon runs(all wild fish). The early run fish show up in late Sept. to early Oct., the normal run fish are there in late Oct. to mid Nov., and the late run fish arrive from late Nov. to late Dec. Hammersley inlet and Case Inlet/ North Bay have early and normal run chums. While Eld Inlet, Totten Inlet, and Pickering Passage have normal run chums. The later two areas are heavy netted by the Squaxin Native Americans for the dog salmon most years. There are a few points and coves where they usually hangout every year for a week or two before they move to their home stream estuary. Your parent's home my be one of those spots or place where they will be moving through every year. This past year the chum runs in south Puget Sound seemed be much lower than previous years. Hope this helps you.

3. ibn

ibn Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Was he talking about chum, or dogfish (some sort of shark)?

-I

4. msteudel

msteudel Mark Steudel

Media:
    Home Page:
    Thanks, I was actually talking about the shark.

5. BOBLAWLESS

BOBLAWLESS New Member

I thought it was the shark.
    I've never seen them school up close to the shore like that.
    Too bad that they are such a zero as a sport fish.
    I do know that salmon will sometimes eats them if they can get them down their throats. I have cleaned fish with them in there.
    I ate some once at a dinner party prepared by an Englishman (wouldn't you just know it?)and they were, to say the very least, wretched. "No more for me thanks; but pass the spuds please"

Bob, the I'll eat damn near anything but hold the doggies please.:9

6. ibn

ibn Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    When I was a kid we took a trip to alaska, somehow I ended up out on a boat fishing for halibut, we caught a number of dogfish and each time we brought them up the captain would slice their bellies open then throw them back in the ocean to a waiting swarm of wildlife eager to feast. The odd part was that the dogfish seemed to feed on itself after he did this, gnawing at it's own inards.

I'm wondering why he did this? Are they a detriment to sport fish? Do other people make it a point to kill any dogfish they happen to catch?

-I

7. Florian Leischner

Florian Leischner o_clarki

Media:
    I have seen the same phenomenon twice although with just a single or handful of dogfish. Both times it was in the spring after a lot of chum fry emerged from the freshwater and started travelling along the shorelines. The dogfish just clobbered them and other baitfish. So my suggestion would be to look for them after March or whenever you start seeing chum fry travelling along the shoreline. Also, both times it was along a beach with a mud/sandflat nearshore area, where dogfish like to hang out.

I hope this helps. Good luck !

8. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I have heard similar stories like that. When I was a kid. LOL. When ever one was caught they would cut the tip of their nose off. I was told that they couldn't dive so they just swam way on the surface. But like I said I was a kid and kids believe anything. Boy was that a loooooonnnnng time ago.

Jim

9. BOBLAWLESS

BOBLAWLESS New Member

Half time, watching my hawks. We got a chance and a damn good one. OK we stink, but if we could just get in the playoffs, it would start a precedent that we are a championship team..

2nd half after the win:
    We just need work. Here's what we need: A new Coach (sorry, but he had his chance.)
    Better defensive backs, particulary a better safety and I'm very suspicious of Trufant.
    Our pass rush needs work.
    The offensive backfield is fine but the line stinks.
    Special teams need work.
    THANK GOD THIS STUPID BELIEF THAT WE CAN'T WIN ON THE ROAD IS OVER!!!!!!!!!!
    MAY THE HAWKS LIVE FOREVER!!!!!!!
    Bob, the Why Yes, I am a Hawks Fan.:smokin :smokin :smokin

10. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    For crying out loud. Get off the Seahawk kick. They are going to be the only 10 and 6 team not to make the play offs. And if they do by some small chance they will lose as they have to start out on the road. In fact all of their games will be on the road. I guess that I'm not much of a Seahawk fan.

Jim; The not much of a Seahawk fan:-(

11. BOBLAWLESS

BOBLAWLESS New Member

No, Jim, you are not. And it's guys like you that make us what we are.
    Bob, the We Need Better Fans:beathead

12. cascade kid

cascade kid New Member

Any chance we may again discuss squalus acanthias? Here's a possibly for some folks radical thought: EATING DOGFISH. I came across a book that was published in the 70s called The Dogfish Cookbook. Long story short-- My wife and I made fish and chips out of one (with some minor trepidation) and it was truly good. Apparently the exact species is used for 90% of the fish and chips in the UK. Am I alone in this area? Very good with one of these.: beer1

13. Mike Etgen

Mike Etgen Not Quite A Luddite, But Can See One From Here

Media:
    New River Mike

I don't know which members of the shark family they were, but several years ago some acquaintances back east grilled some shark they caught on a charter trip off the Virginia coast. It was excellent - very much like swordfish, if anyone has had that. In fact, I would have been hard-pressed to tell them apart, and later was told by someone else that a great deal of supermarket "swordfish" was actually shark meat.
    Considering that dogfish are members of that same family, it stand to reason that it might cook up very well if done correctly.
    Just my two coins worth...

:hmmm

14. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Here's a few more pennies. Was fishing Mukilteo docks one time. Before my fly fishing days. Well to make a long story short,my buddy caught a dog fish of about seven lbs. Was going to gut it and throw it back when this other fisherman said give it to me. He cleaned it and cut all the fins off and said here is about 5 lbs of good eating. Well to each his own. That's my only story of being close to eating these fish.

Jim

15. Jay Allyn

Jay Allyn The Poor-Student Fly Fisher

Media:
    I've heared that you have too soak them in milk to make them tast better, they urinate through their skin I believe. The Brits do eat them in their fish and chips.

One reason for them swarming close to shore could be that they where spawning. They have to spawn somewhere.

16. BOBLAWLESS

BOBLAWLESS New Member

Does urinating through their skin sound very wholesome at the dinner table?

And then the Brits. I can't think of a worse culture to take gastronomical advice from. They eat anything, horrible things, unmentionables. "British cooking" won the Oxymoron of the year contest.

If you ever go to Briton, take a lot of sandwiches and beat it across the Channel to France as soon as you can.
    Bob, the Why No, I'm not an Anglophobe.;)

17. HotinTotten

HotinTotten New Member

Responding to this old post simply because I saw this happening today- hundreds of dogfish sharks slowly milling about in the a bay a few miles south of Steamboat Island. It was most prevalent at the absolute low tide when I was getting a kayak into the water-standing out in the water I got excited seeing finning fish all around me, then had one swim close enough to see it was a small shark. The entire time fishing I was surrounded by the things, alone, in groups, and in pairs, all slowly swimming along the surface with their tails and dorsals exposed, when approached in the boat they would duck down to a couple feet under the surface, and when 10 feet away would resurface and resume their top crusiing. As the tide came up the things moved out into the main channel of Totten Inlet, and I lost sight of them after a few hours. I couldnt see any apparent behavior or task they were doing, just slowly skimming through the water. Quite a wonderful sight, though, and they didnt interfere with my fishing at all, in fact, today was the best day yet, stopped keeping count after a dozen nice slivers (all with adipose no less), think i released at least 20 fish this morning.

18. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    The prodigal son has returned in all his glory...

19. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:

No he's not back. Check the date on his post.

Jim

20. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    DOH! :beathead: