(NFR) Eastsiders Beer vs. Westsiders Beer

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Stephen Rice, May 13, 2004.

1. Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice Senior Member

Media:
    I am in a quandry! I am pretty faithful to the Wet Side but I have to tell you the eastsiders know how to brew Some Beer. among the two I like the best. Grant's Scottish style Ale and the Roselyn Brewery. Good stuff, although I have to sneak it into my apartment or put them into a Red Hook Carton. Who's got the Best Brew? :beer2 :beer2 :beer2

2. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Media:
    Home Page:
    Forks Brewery;

"Logger Ale"

"Slash & Burn Bitter"

"Pike Pole Peavy"

"Dead Fish IPA"

But seriously folks:

The Port Townsend Brewery;

"Boatyard Bitter Ale"

Amen.

3. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Media:
    Bert Grant was originally from Canada before he set up shop in Yakima. He started his beer career at Molson as a taster when he was 16 years old.

4. luv2fly2

luv2fly2 Active Member

in the columbia basin we like to rip the top of busch lights.

5. Mulligan

Mulligan Stephen Mull

Media:
    What is withe Busch Light phenomenon, nearly everywhere East of the Cascades? Especially WSU. I stopped at a mini-mart in Colville or whatever the hell that town is near Pullman and they had one whole section of their fridges designated to Busch products (40's...which i guess are new to Pullman...tall cans, short cans, etc) plus part of another section. By section I mean one of the glass doors. Busch light is not bad for the price, but come on. It's all about The Champagne of Beers in that price bracket.

6. BOBLAWLESS

BOBLAWLESS New Member

To pontificate and lose even more friends:

Light beer is an oxymoron. Dosen't work. It's like hot cold. If it's light, it's not beer. Beer, by definition, is heavy. Ask any German.

Light beer is piss water, plain and simple. It is brewed for those drinkers, mostly kids, who don't like beer yet; they have not had the chance to aquire a real taste. Down the the road, they will wonder how they drank it.

The eastside had no beer because they have no rain. You need rain for beer; you can't use swill from a seep lake.

The owners as well as workers at Busch should be jailed for crimes against humanity. In fact, Busch and Bush have an odious similarity.

Bob, the I don't drink beer anymore--too young for my tastes.:smokin

7. LeakyTiki

LeakyTiki Member

Media:
    Stephen,
    You are a beer afficianado with no doubt.

Now yer coogs, hell, they think Busch lite is "Champagne" after all that Nattie Light.

That and having the best 3 year run in school history(without a Rose Bowl win)has them covinced that Busch in bottles throw just as well as a more expensive brew. ( See 2002 Apple Cup)

Six in a row, sodbusters
    ;)
    LT

8. Mulligan

Mulligan Stephen Mull

Media:
    I have gotten to the point where I have acquired a taste for ales. It's hard to from drinking ales at the beginning of the month, to being piss poor and drinking PBR or High Life at the end of the month. It used to be real hard to drink real beer as you mentioned Bob. I am now at that new stage where liquor is real fun, but boy do I not enjoy the taste of straight liquor.

As far as those poor Cougs. Let us not forget Cougs vs. Stanford this year in b-ball. Cougin' it reaches all Cougar athletics apparently.

9. Kalm

Kalm Member

Beer, ales and college pride, what a great thread.

If I had a dime for every time I've read someone on this board denounce a light beer and then sing the praises of some watered down, made for the masses, no character, poser micro like Red Hook, Alaskan Amber, or Heinken I'd own my own brewery. If you're gonna be elitist, shoot for the moon. Fullers ESB or Northern Lights Pale (a dry side brew) for example.

As for light beers, they do have their place Bob. The older you get the less capable you are of processing large quantities of Ale. So light beers like my favorite Natty, are perfect for swilling. They also go well with certain gourmet foods like Oberto pep sticks, pringles, chicken gizzards, and Zips Burgers. In fact I'm working on developing the Natkins diet

Screw the Dawgs and Cougs, go EAGLES!

10. mgamby

mgamby Active Member

Media:
    ahhh zips burgers... how I miss that greasy goodness...
    now that brings back memories....those and
    'deep fried mushrooms, and a bucket of fries"
    hurts the arteries just thinking about it...

oh man, hillyard was bad to me... thank goodness I moved.

now about beer.... the darker the better... if you can eat it with a spoon, its good beer...

guiness, black butte porter, terminator stout.... unfortunately nothing local... but find me a good dark beer, and I will drive to it... Especially if there is good fishing nearby ;)

but you cant drink too many... gotta save room for the deep fried mushrooms.. :)

11. hutch

hutch solomon

Media:
    Now, now...I thought I should chime in here as someone who grew up on the West side, but went to Washington State.

1: Ice Beer, not Light beer is the beer of choice for many of us (Milwaukee Best Ice is my personal favorite). I am of the firm opinion that it takes more skill and dedication from brewers to create a such a great tasting beer at "value" pricing than it does to create a premium micro brew for 12 bucks a six pack. Does anyone buy that? ;-)

2: WSU Sports are in a "transitional" phase. We acknowlege this. We have had ample time in our school history to accept and recognize trends like this. However, we are interested in the pursuit of successful sports programs that are propagated "on the level" and not created with payoffs, pills and scandals (no specific reference to UW here... :eek ). Also, we think that all of you look so good in purple. What a cool school color!

Correction 3: Ryan Leaf is not our friend either.

All in jest....

-hutch

12. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I don't understand all of youse guys about this beer thing. The first few swallow's taste good but after a while it all just tastes like shit. But I can understand what you young guys really don't care about the taste. Just get a buzz is what it's all about.

When I was younger we used to drink "Three Bears Wine"(East coast) for a cheap drunk. And on the west Coast we drank "T"Bird. Wine got you where you wanted to go in the first place quicker amd was a whole lot cheaper than beer.

Jm

13. Chris Bailey

Chris Bailey Member

I love that story. The underage brewmaster.

We can thank Bert for this thread. He started it all with his original brewpub, the first in the US since prohibition, I believe. I still say they make great beers, even after selling out and Bert's passing several years ago.

I live in Seattle and love the proliferation of small breweries and brewpubs. A newish one is Mannys, brewed in Burien I believe.

There are some great beers brewed east of the mountains. I have seen reference to Roslyn already. The other one I love is the Leavenworth brewery. Best Octoberfest I remember was had at the brewery during Octoberfest.

On the note of eastside breweries, anyone know what happened to Cirque brewery in Prosser? They were a small quantity brewer that just made three beers, all lagers that were good. They got to the point where I was able to buy their beer at PCC in Seattle and then I stopped seeing it. Belly up or still around?

14. GreenButt

GreenButt New Member

Leavenworth brewery is a sellout to the Westside now. Another one bites the dust. You guys are forgetting the Winthrop brewery. They have the finest beer under the sun. No joke.

15. Bright Rivers

Bright Rivers Member

Media:
    The best brewery in the state is on the west side of the west side. The Silver City Brewery in Silverdale produces Fat Bastard Scotch Ale, so sweet, malty, and buttery smooth. Mmmmmmmmm . . . beeeeer!

:beer1

They also have memorable seasonal varieties like Sasquatch Stout and the Whoop Pass IPA.

I visit the Silver City Brewery every time I'm over in that neck of the woods. If you've never been, do yourself a favor.

:beer2

16. Mulligan

Mulligan Stephen Mull

Media:
    In the circles I have travelled in at WSU (the Greek Scene), it was Busch Light 40's, kegs, and tall cans. That is not to say that is the only beer they drank, nor the only beer dranken over there, just the majority of the group I have stayed with over there.

As far as the transitional phase. So is UW. We are losing coaches and other personell all over the place. As a former (until two weeks ago) member of UW's track team, I saw a lot of the feather's fly.

See, during the Coug's transitional phase, their football team has been good. I mean, pretty dang good. And that is where Cougin' it comes in. We shouldn't have wont the past few years, but the Coug's helped us out a bit, and I thank them for that.

It is good to see that the Coug's have disowned poor Ryan.

This is my last reply as I don't want to be that guy.