(NFR) Facts

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Sharp Steelie, Jan 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisC

ChrisC Member

Yes that was definitely a troll, to make the case that it really doesn't take much at all to get something like this started. Apologies for my choice of wording and making it a troll. As you put it, "smart a**" is probably a better description ;).

2. ray helaers

ray helaers New Member

Well this doesn't happen around here very much.

Actually I have to say that I don't believe SS for one second. Sorry, just not very plausible. Even if it's true the blatant self-promotion is a little embarrasing to tell you the truth. I get the feeling you're probably sincere in your desire to "share," but regardless of your intent it seems like you'd really like to sell some books.

But you know what? Whatever. I don't believe anything any of you guys say about your fishing, and I can't imagine what would make you believe me. News flash: THIS IS FISHING. (Like any of us believe ANYBODY is having 60-fish days on the Yak.) And the self-promotion besiness is certainly not without precedence in fishing, or even on this site. Neither is any predisposition towards preening.

So I have to say that whole thread seemed pretty unecessary, as was the reaction (if you like to tell implausible stories -- true or not -- you ought to learn to get philosophical about being called a liar).

Maybe we should all get over ourselves and go back to politely pretending to believe eachothers' lies. And let's keep all the trash talk behind peoples' backs where it belongs.

3. Kalm

Kalm Member

First of all, I can't tell if this debate is real or fabricated, but I agree that is is extremely entertaining.

If it's true, I would agree with others that some people need to get over themselves and not take this stuff too seriously. For example, a short while back on a different subject, I called Wet Line's opinion of vulgarity narrow minded. He confused my criticism of his OPINION for calling HIM narrow minded, and preceded to smack me around about not personally knowing him, and relating part of his life story in a failed attempt to prove his deep thinking and prove me wrong.

Of course people are entitled to their opinions but that doesn't place them above criticism. It seems obvious to me that if you're opinionated and you publicly offer your opionions than you better be thick-skinned and realize your open to attack. Unfortunately this is not obvious to everyone. The same probably holds true for the size and numbers of fish you catch.

Second, being a golf professional, I can assure you that fly fishing is not the only acitivity where the phenomenon of too-good-to-be-true success stories is prevalent. My sport is loaded with people who claim to have "figured it all out", or equipment vendors who offer the "solution". In most cases, their is either a buck to be made, or someone's dellusional concept of their own success limited to a shortage of experience and based on an under-appreciation of accomplishment or what it takes to succeed.

Enter the elite fly fishermen or guides and authors who might take exception to S.S.'s claims. They have paid their dues and have heard or seen it all. And even if S.S.'s claims are partially true, they realize that it is one thing to have personal success, and something entirely else to be able to educate others, especially as a profession and for profit. Just because you are good at golf, it doesn't mean that you have truly grasped why that is, nor does it mean you will be able to teach others. I get the impression that fly fishing is the same.

4. Whitey

Whitey Active Member

Media:
    Exactly!!!! Ray, spoken like a true gentlemen. Thank you. :thumb YT:smokin

5. BOBLAWLESS

BOBLAWLESS New Member

There was a lot of tackiness in all this: the references to God and special needs children were a bit much. The jiving of others, including myself, is fun but it uses other people to be amusing and of course, the amusement is at their expense. Anyone can lie and get others to believe for awhile. And when some of the names backing this fool were names that I respect, I was taken in a bit to say the least. To find out that they were complicit causes a certain loss of respect for them.
    T'was a bummer.
    Bottom line, I feel very foolish and I have no one to blame for that except myself. Makes me now more wary of possible flamers and jackasses just friggin' around with people. Guess the bite is slow.
    Bob, the pissed.:reallymad

6. Nailknot

Nailknot Active Member

Media:
    Well Ray, when it comes to fishing, they are all a bunch of liars, 'cept me and you... come to think of it I'm not so sure about you. :)

Ah well. Some diversion from cabin fever. Actually I was on the river just 24 hours ago (hooked 14 steelhead ;)

7. sashjo

sashjo Member

So, those who have years of experience assume that Clay is lying because he claims to catch more fish? That is the evidence? Personally,I would assume that he was a better fisherman than me. It would simply confirm that I should keep my day job and never become a guide.If I were a guide, I would welcome his posts. He might help get my clients into more fish.

This is not life and death stuff here! You might call my approach naive but I believe it is at least more civil than attacking Clay. If I am wrong, I'll get over it.
    But, what if the you are wrong?

8. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

No, I'm the only non-liar on this board, LOL!
    This thread has turned out to be one helluva....
    "Goat-Ropers' Rodeo!"

Goat-roper: someone who likes to get someone else's goat.

Jimbo

9. CofO

CofO New Member

I've been doing a little investigating and have found no evidence of UFOs or of SS. In other words all my conections in SW WA are clueless and surely such a name would be mentioned in every saloon and public rest room
    that side of Vancouver.

It is time for the re-awakening of team rugged to go down south and investigate this guy. Bet he don't exist as he says he exists.

GI Joes, come on guys, who buys fly gear at GI Joes?

Sinktip can smell a phony two hundred miles away. You newbies and want to be's need to just go fishing and learn what SS must have learned on his own. Stop with the how to books and learn on your own.

10. jlange

jlange New Member

I personally was very entertained like most people with this thread and yet my conscience also tells me that entertainment at someone else's expense is rather shallow. I also believe that if you have the balls to call someone a liar, you had better have the balls to ask him to go fishing with him sometime. Just because you've never heard of someone catching that many fish before does not mean it doesn't happen. Hell, just 400 years ago everyone thought the world was flat. I think lambasting someone because you don't believe his claims is pretty childish in the first place. If you have proof, bring it out, otherwise shut the hell up.

Jason

}(

11. Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice Senior Member

Media:
    Man I can't believe I am going to drag myself into this stoopid argument. This guy lives bout 10 miles from my house and I have already talked to the guy couple of times. I dont' know what he says is true or not. but am going to try to hook up him and go fishing within the next couple of weeks. so if I report back what happens will everybody shutup til then? or am I wasting my time?
    :dunno :reallymad
    Steve

12. ChrisC

ChrisC Member

GI Joe's?

There are alot of people who do buy gear at GI Joes, especially those that are transitioning from spin to fly gear. That statement on who would want to buy gear from GI Joe's just reinforces the elitist image of fly fishing, and I see that statement as more reflective of the tendency to place undue emphasis on the quality of the gear.

Those calling Clay a phony without being able to provide countervailing evidence are definitely in glass houses, especially if they haven't fished SW Washington extensively to judge the validity of his numbers.

As I said earlier, the catch rates for many of the well known rivers up here just reflect the depressed quality of the fisheries, not necessary poor quality of the fishing techniques. If one decides to concentrate their fishing on the same low producing rivers, year after year, then that person just won't be in a good position to judge another's results somewhere else as it would be comparing apples and oranges. Hope this doesn't offend anybody, but if you aren't catching steelhead with the regularity to beat down the bitterness/resentment that we see in many of these posts, then I would encourage you to drive farther or explore more. Otherwise you might as well live in Vegas and achieve roughly the same catch rate.

13. jlange

jlange New Member

Steve,
    That's the most intelligent idea in this whole forum. Go for it and silence us all.

Jason

"10% of the anglers catch 90% of the fish." Happy fishing!

14. ChrisC

ChrisC Member

Doesn't add much to board unity by calling someone a phony, other's newbies, want to be's and slammin anybody who goes to GI Joes. :smokin

15. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Facts

Hey unknwon somebody or what. Why are you flaming me. I have done nothing to you but show and tell you about the "member when" status. You have never met me and I don't think that I should have that type of stuff pointed at me.I think that it's time for the boss to step up and lock this baby up before some people get out of hand.

Jim:reallymad

16. Richard Torres

Richard Torres Active Member

Media:
    (NFR) Facts--Settle this once... and for all...

Steve finally has said the magic word.:rofl :rofl
    Heck, anybody who is all out annoyed, perplexed, bored, angry, jealous, or curious about Sharp Steelie's techniques/actions should find out when the next time he's out on the river, all drive down at the same time (bring a lunch :+ ) and watch him fish. Or even better, fish with him. It's as simple as that......
    Heck, isn't that what we do anyway, get together to fish?? !!!!!!!!!!!!LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :beathead :beathead :beathead :beathead :beathead
    :thumb

17. CofO

CofO New Member

GI Joe's?

Chris C,
    I think you are right, SS must have just transitioned from spin gear to fly fishing gear and recently. After all he fished with nymph on a perfect dead drift and that is really spin fishing anyway. Besides from the pics he mis handles his fish. The point here is this guy is not what he says he is.

And what is wrong with elitist? You act like it is a bad word.

18. ChrisC

ChrisC Member

GI Joe's?

I see elitism bad only in the sense that it intimidates/shuts people out of this great sport. I run into plenty of gear guys who would like to try fly fishing but appear to put off by what they see in most fly shops or by the amount of skill that's required.

On my other post, I'll have to say in good humor, "what board unity"?

19. fatwhitedog

fatwhitedog New Member

Media:
    >And I would have to say, we could use some less acerbic people like you with comments like that <

Would that include the usual gaggle of regulars that you find kindred spirit with in that acerbic department?

20. fatwhitedog

fatwhitedog New Member

Media:
    (NFR) Facts--Settle this once... and for all...

Finally someone else gets the credit for what I said in my initial post. Way to go! Great job.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.