(NFR) fire wood in Superior??

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by David Brenna, Sep 20, 2006.

1. David Brenna

David Brenna Member

Any place to buty fire wood in Superior MT this time of year?? Camping at Kelly Creek!!

2. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    I'm pretty sure the gas station at the fish creek exit sells bundles. Just get a saw and cut some down timber- you don't need a permit for that. Or just walk around and collect it- its free, will get your blood flowing, and never ending.

3. spowino

spowino New Member

Fire wood around Kelly is pretty scarce, been picked over pretty good.
    I'd bring some.
    Just my 2 cents worth
    Kent

4. flyfishr

flyfishr New Member

I think that you should also be able to find some athe grocery store in Superior (just north of I-90). Wiht all the campfire restrictions this year they probably didn't sell out. I would also look for some slash piles. usualyya grat place for fire wood.

5. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    I've been to Kelly Creek CG at both the end of September and first weekend in October. At best, deadfall firewood has long before been picked up by previous campers. At worst, the few sticks you are lucky enough to find may be soaked if it's rained before you arrive.

Not sure about you, but I didn't drive that far to waste valuable fishing time cutting and splitting firewood.

Last time, I went with two other guys in a big Chevy Silverado crew cab with a shell that was half full of dry, split wood we hauled over. We burned every stick of if over the course of four days and three nights. It rained hard the whole second day and froze the next two nights.

K