(NFR) Flat Tire

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Steve Call, Jun 18, 2012.

1. So I was 25 miles up a gravel road last week doing some exploring of water I plan to fish once runoff subsides when I got a flat in my Jeep. I stopped right away and so didn't damage the side walls. I had a can of tire fix-it, followed the directions and emptied the can into my tire. It barely lifted it two inches. Certainly not enough to drive on. Fortunately, I had a spare, though the jack sank into the gravel/mud as it lifted the vehicle. I had enough room to remove the flat but not to mount the spare. So, I ended up digging an 3-4" hole in the road so I could align the tire and get it on.

Took my tire to a gas station and mentioned I had emptied a can of tire fix-it and it had hardly inflated the tire. The guy at the station said that was a common problem especially with larger SUV and truck tires. I guess I need to carry two or three cans of the stuff. I'm curious as to what others experience has been with these products.

2. I've had the same problem. Now I carry a can of the flat fix-it and one of those portable car-battery powered air pumps. In all cases so far the flat has been a slow leak, so just stopping to top up the air was enough to get me home. My vehicle has tire pressure sensors built-in - a very useful feature.

3. Well, OK, I guess it won't hurt to procrastinate on whacking down a field of tall grass this afternoon so that I can type my answer to this!

I have been carrying one can of fix-a-flat, a tire plugging kit, and a tire pump. I usually have at least one short piece of 2x8 along that I can use as a base platform for my jack, to keep it from sinking in the mud. Based on my limited experience, I agree that you need at least two cans to do an adequate job on anything but small tires.
    A can of fix-a-flat really helped me out once when I tore a side wall on some rocks, and then discovered that my crummy old spare had a slow leak. Didn't carry a tire pump along then. The fix-a-flat did not fully inflate the tire, but sealed it and got enough air into it that I could make it to a tire store and buy two new tires (My spare did not match the other tires, so I needed two new ones so that I ended up with a matching spare.)
    If I can't see the cause of a slow leak when inspecting the tire, I'll try to tighten the valve stem core. Sometimes they get a tad loose.

4. I do carry a portable compressor, and a 14" length of 2x8 for a jack platform has helped me on logging roads. I should put some flat fix, an entrenching tool, and possibly a plug kit in the SUV.

5. I had a similar problem last week. While I do carry a portable pump it wouldn't of helped me as the sidewall got tore up by a rock. I just pulled over to the side of the road and went about putting on the spare. I explained it all in my thread that I wrote. Took my tire to the tire shop and I have a 100% warranty on my tires. Now I have a new tire.

Flats are not fun. I've had two on my truck, but the sun was shining both times.

6. They make a can of fix a flat for larger tires. Also if you read the directions on the can they say to drive the vehicle and it will expand.

Etamaman likes this.
  7. Exactly what I was thinking when reading this thread.
    If you look at the size of the can in comparison to the size of your tire and think it holds about the same amount of air as your tire.....well.......And the fix-a-flat cans are only meant as a quick means to get just enough air into your tire to get you to a main road or tire store for help, not fully inflate your tires.
    Always carry, wire, duct tape, jack, jumper cables, tire iron, fix-a-flat, 12 volt compressor, and a plug kit when you are in the back country. It sure can get ugly fast.

8. My tarheel hunting partner will not travel ina rig without a old time four foot long crosscut saw or a old fashioned tire pump in the truck, like he said "they ain't fancy but they work every time"

9. I used a can of this on our Ford Explorer many years ago and also recall it barely making a difference. In that case, the spare too ended up under-inflated, but fortunately enough to get to an exit and tire shop (wife wasn't amused as I recall). I have subsequently invested in two 12VDC air compressors and had to use one while camped along the Madison a few years back -- came back from fishing and noticed the camper leaning. It worked great and got me to the Firestone dealer in Bozeman.

10. Well I carry the compressor and the sealant/inflator cans in my truck, but discovered that the Chevy jack doesn't work, (it slips off when you jack the truck up), so I also carry a floor jack to change the tire if I get a flat. A lot of crap for what used to be a simple chore.

11. What kind of 12volt portable air compressors do you guys use? And how long does it take to bring a low tire up to snuff? I had one of those pumps from Harbor Freight. Tried it once (at home), ended up taking it back. Bought a used air compressor at a garage sale. Not portable, but faster.

12. Good comments. This is the first flat I've had in close to 20 years. I used to carry a 12" section of 2x10 as a base for the jack but apparently discarded it somewhere along the way. And, my compressor is in the ex-wife's garage..... Guess I need to buy a new one and keep it in the rig. Lesson's learned. At least changing the tire was relatively straight forward and the spare was full.

(Now I remember. The board was sacrificed as a fire starter on a fishing trip to the OP and never replaced.)

Derek Young likes this.
  13. I carry an older 12V compressor because it also has the fittings to fill my float tube. Spouse bought me a newer 12V compressor/battery jumper that I also carry. I do not even think about my truck when loading them, they are for my travel trailer. Had two flats on one trip a couple of years ago when camped at Kelly ck, with only one spare. The drive out to MT. to get the second tire fixed was not fun. So now carry two spares for that plus the compressors.

14. Geez, Steve, you're missing the boat here: it's only flat on one side, just turn it over!:D

freestoneangler likes this.
  15. Why didn't I think of that?!

16. You have to be damn old to think that way. And I believe that Alex is damn old

17. Alex is damn old..... not as old as you, but old.

18. Now that is some funny stuff there!

19. You guys have me so scared I'm gonna start packing a spare car!

20. Fix a flat is nasty shit. Here's the deal it'll pretty much ruin any tire that you use it on. Most of the time a flat can be repaired, but once you "fix a flat" you've "f#*Ked a tire".

It's better to just swap it out with the spare. I carry a portable army shovel that has saved the day. I think I'll start carrying a section of wood as well to create a solid base. Good idea.

Thanks for sharing your misery Steve. I have to admit I would've paid $5 to see that go down.