NFR Fly Fishing Photos

Discussion in 'Photography / Video' started by BOBLAWLESS, Jun 10, 2003.

1. BOBLAWLESS New Member

Port Ludlow, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Just love all these photos that keep popping up on this site. I have no digital camera, so I'm seking advice as to what to get. Need a utility job, just pics of family and fish, no big deal. What bucks are we talking here?
    Mid-range, I guess.
    Also I have a lot of old photo equipment and I'm hoping some of it can be used:
    Two Nikon E bodies, one telephoto 300 mm, one macro lense, one wide angle 27mm, one portrait lense 110 mm, several add-on jobs, no. 1,2,3 I think. Can these be used in a digital camera?
    Bob:dunno
  2. Nailknot Active Member

Cascadia
    Ratings: +8 / 0
  3. MacRowdy Idaho Resident Craftsman/Artisan

Ashton, Idaho
    Babbo,

You could buy a phat spendy Nikon digital SLR and maybe have Oleander read the 6,000 page manual or you could get a point and shoot digital. I wouldn't say I know "all" about this stuff. However I know enough to help you make a good decision. I shoot a nikon SLR (F-100) and a Canon Powershot G3 (Digital).

e-mail me

MAC
  4. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,648 / 0
    I forgot what I was supposed to remember.

I see we are going the camera way again. Well I have a question to all that can answer my question. What does Mega Pixels mean? There is so much new termanolgy(sp) out there it seems that us older gentlemen are getting lost in all of it. I have a digital camera and boy it just isn't point and shoot any more.Whats nice about it you know what your shooting and if you don't like it you can delete it. That's something you can't do with flim.

Jim:dunno Lost in the dark:bawling

Babbo: You can spend what ever your little heart desires. They run from about $50.00 to $1000.00 and beyond. I priced them and came accross a good deal on the one I have. Jim:thumb
  5. chadk Be the guide...

Snohomish, WA.
    Ratings: +41 / 0
    It can be as simple or complicated as you want it. If you just want some pretty scenery shots, some hero shots, or whatever - you don't really need more than 3.0 mega pixels.

Here are a few thoughts besides that:
    Memory cards - find a camera that uses the most popular\cheap cards available. Same with batteries. Proprietary batteries and cards are expensive, hard to replace, not very flexible (can't swap from camera to camera for example) and don't usually perform as well as more standardized types.

Unless you want to really get deep into it, as Mac said, get a simple point and shoot camera. Focus on a camera that is user friendly right out of the box and provides very user friendly ways for moving the pictures to your PC.

Here's my best advice - wherever you buy your camera from, find out what the return policy is. Then keep your receipts, box, papers, ect incase you want to return it later. If they give you just 30 days, plan on taking a lot of pics and downloading pics in that that timeframe. Near the end of 30 days consider what you like and don't like about it. You may decide to take it back and try another model. We took ours back to costco after close to a year and they took it back no questions asked....
  6. chadk Be the guide...

Snohomish, WA.
    To put it simply, mega pixels is just a way to determine what quality of image you will get at certain image sizes. For example, most cameras will allow you to create an image that looks great as a 3X5 photo. But if you want to blow that image up to 8.5X11 for example, you'll need more mega pixels (the more mega pixels, the more granular the detail). If you want a life size poster that still looks crisp - you'll need a pretty expesive camera with more than your standard 3 or 4 MPs. Most of us are happy with 3 or even less so we can email and post pics on the web...
  7. Ruspin New Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Digital cameras are certainly the way to go. I bought mine a couple of years ago and have never regretted it. I wanted one that was small enough to carry in my pocket when I am at a party or hiking around. Sony makes a good model that is the size of a typical cell phone. The
    Sony Cybershot is up to a 4.0 megapixel and mine is 3.4. I have really never needed anything more than my 3.4. Go to http://megamyth.homestead.com/, this will expose the megapixel myths.

What I like about mine is the capability of detail editing on the camera...I use that a lot. Some cameras only let you edit the picture one or two steps, the Sony model lets you edit (cut and crop) to the nth detail.

I did some math on developing the pictures and it is actually about the same, if not less to have the Digital Camera. I use Ofoto.com and because I only upload the pictures I want, then I am only paying for the pictures I want.

Lastly, I just bought myself a waterproof bag last week at the REI sale. I seem to spend more time in the water than actually wading through it. With this bag, I can now take some pictures and prove to my friends that yes indeed there are some nice fish in the Yak.

:beer2
  8. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt

Well you cleared it up a little,but the water is still a little cloudly. I guess I need to read about it just a little more. I got the manual but trying to understand it...well it is like trying to understand Japanese and I can't.

But I have to keep the one I got and I can't return it. It just wouldn't work.

Thank's

Jim
  9. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt

Tried the address you posted and it came up page not found.

Jim
  10. chadk Be the guide...

Snohomish, WA.
    Jim - hang on there for a second. Are you sure you are not looking at the actual Japanese section of the manual :beathead

Just kidding. Also I was suggesting to Bob that he look into the return policy thing. Since he is looking for a new one, he should be careful not to get locked into a camera that he is going to hate... Plus, it never fails when you buy something (especially electronics) - no sooner do you un-wrap it, then it goes on sale, and they come out with something better and cheaper :beathead
  11. flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

Bob,

Another thing to think about is to get a camera that is the same brand as the SLR's that you have, assuming you like thier functionallity. A lot of time the digital cameras that are made by companies that make other cameras, the function and placement of buttons is similar and you won't have to learn new camera. Of course this depends on how old your Nikons are and I would assume that Nikon digitals are on the high end of the market.

Anyway just a thought!
    Bill
  12. circlespey Member

Seattle, WA.
    Ratings: +7 / 0
    Don't make the mistake of thinking that you need a 3+ megapixel camera to get good fishing shots; it's a little like computer processor speeds in that a year ago people thought 2 ghz was enough, but now you "have" to get 3 ghz (sorry for the geek talk).

Virtually all of the pictures in my member gallery were taken with two digi cameras: one an old Olympus 800K pixel (not even 1 mega) and more recently a Canon 2 megapixel camera (those that you can currently find on clearance because they have successfully marketed the 3+ cameras). With my Canon digital elph the regular average settings are good enough for full computer screen-sized enlargements, and when I dial up the settings I get massive quality, much more than I ever need. If you are looking for a solid everyday camera I highly recommend the Canon.

Circlespey

Circlespey
  13. BOBLAWLESS New Member

Port Ludlow, WA, USA.
    Wow! Thanks guys for all the help. I'm going to print this all up and check out Costco. I'm just going to have to decide if I need another piece of electronic hightec. Like the Old Man, all this is Sanscrit to me. I refer to things like I remember as a kid: the ice box, the Victrola, the Brownie Box camera, girlies, hi-fi records, etc. My first fly rod was a Bristol telescoping steel rod, probably about 80 wt. or so. My line was a EEE or about 3 wt. The reel I can't remember but I think it was a Heddon automoatic. I could throw about 15 ft. or so.
    Bob:dunno