NFR - Global Warming Poll

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Scott Keith, Oct 18, 2007.

?

Do you believe in Global Warming?

1. No, the Earth is not warming

3.0%
  2. Yes, the Earth is warming and it is mans fault

49.5%
  3. Yes, the Earth is warming as part of its natural cycle

43.4%
  4. How does this relate to fishing?

4.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gt

gt Active Member

Media:
    yes, the first step is to discredit the person posting the information. step two is to post something which might make the reader doubt what he/she has just read. interesting rovian strategy which has been quite successful in the PAST. but, the general public, at least the majority, have seen through this smoke and mirrors dance.

now anyone here could have done this, but since no one took the time to contact the source of the washington post article, i took it upon myself to do so. here is his complete response via email:

----------------------------------------------

Thanks. There is no error nor confusion. The figure in the article is accurate.
    -doug struck

+++++++++
    Doug Struck
    The Washington Post
    tel:) 1-978-254-5470
    email: struckd@washpost.com

----------------------------------------------

carry on, but unless you can post something crediable, this discussion has run its course.

2. Philster

Philster Active Member

Media:
    Cool Lady. Lots of African Women have started grassroots movements of significant import. Cottage industries, distribution networks. Al Gore is important to her. He brought needed publicity and money no doubt. Are we surprised she likes him? I wonder how she would feel if she knew he use 12 to 20 times the energy his fellow citizens use? Her public face wouldn't change because she needs him, and I'd do the exact same thing in her place. I'm all for reforestation. Heck, I think I'm the only one here who's brought that up:confused:

Here's a little reading to get you in the mood for further reading on my "third world spitballs"
    http://www.tyndall.ac.uk/publications/working_papers/wp23.pdf

Section 2 is very interesting to anyone who thinks going along with Kyoto type things won't impact their lifestyle or standard of living.

Watch that river SMC... It's just waiting for you to drop your vigilence... Then it will strike!

3. smc

smc Active Member

Media:
    Ah hell, now you go and get all sincere on me :p

I thought for sure, since you the offered the Mark Twain and Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy references, that you'd get the reference to "6 Degrees of Separation" - a fairly apt metaphor for this subject.

Both articles you provide are excellent. Thank you. Whether we like it or not, our lifestyles and standard of living are already being affected.

I live on the river. I watch, not out of fear for what it might bring, but for the fascination of a single eddy, a momentary current dancing to oblivion. You and I, our ego's and the River, have that much in common at least. Also, the fishing is not bad sometimes. ;)

4. Philster

Philster Active Member

Media:
  5. BFK

BFK Member

"My Ego. It's healthy. I have it turn its head and cough every morning. So far so good!"

With the exceptions of some claims by a two-letter poster, that's the funniest thing I've read in a looong while. Well done!

6. Philster

Philster Active Member

Media:
    Ooooh... i got the 6 degrees reference. I guess I was just over analyzing and looking for something cryptic seriously buried in there. I was rereading it like Kevin Costner going over the zabruder film in JFK. Trying to find some meaning in the Antarctic vs. North Pole stuff... Back and to the left... Back and to the left... I tend to overanalyze in case you hadn't noticed:beer2: The sneaky and clever part is restricting it to that area which is goes against the trend of the rest of the continent! Good for scaring the simple minded. Not so good for reasoned rational discussions.

Back to my bunker, where Carl Rove and I control the world!

7. greyghost

greyghost Member

Media:
    Philster,
    After all this talk of over-analyzing and manipualting data perhaps you should recheck your math skills before flaunting your ego. Once again, check your data.

Pete

8. Philster

Philster Active Member

Media:
    Sorry to break it to ya, but you get older, the decades kinda merge. The 90's have so far been my most memorable, and I wore an onion on my belt the whole time. I'm likely to write 1997 half the time on my checks, since I only write about 3 checks a year anymore. A little error due to haste. I don't carefully proof this stuff. I write it, try to be clear and move on.

If you are insinuating that invalidates everything I've said, so be it. GT says the reporter said the numbers are right, so I guess in 17 years the temperature increased by around 3 degrees celsius (feel free to run the numbers and be more precise!). There I said it. The temperature at the Antarctic increased by 3 degrees celsius in 17 years. Nope. No matter how many times I type those words, it's still sounds like BS...

I love that ya'll are making this about me. I really don't think I'm that special. Besides being brilliant, ruggedly handsome, extremely potent, and a seriously great cook, there really isn't anything remarkable about me:cool:. I have a healthy disrespect for authority, and I guess that requires some arrogance. But I also have enough self-awareness to recognize that in myself.

Cheers!

9. greyghost

greyghost Member

Media:
    Philster,
    In no way am I trying to invalidate everything you have said... I just think when you are putting this much time into a discussion trying to invalidate others' work and to prove that data is manipulated to achieve greater affect, you should perhaps be more cautious with your own work if you want others to listen. I just can't take someone seriously that shuns a lot of great statistical work but replies with simple arithmetic errors.

Pete

10. Philster

Philster Active Member

Media:
    It's not my work. So instead, of attacking me, where do you come down on the 6 degree increase?

11. Cactus

Cactus Dana Miller

Media:
    I surprised that gt hasn't let us know that these researchers once got a free road map with their fillups at the gas station and are therefore "bought and paid tools of the evil oil companies and carl rove"!:eek:

12. gt

gt Active Member

Media:
    oh, oh, another discredit the messenger, ain't a'goin'to'cut'it!!!!!!!!!!

i guess you are not too used to reading scientific stuff 'cause if you were, you would recognize a healthy debate going on. the IPCC formulated a conclusion based on the best science available. if you bothered to read the washington post article, which is correctly presented their data BTW, you will see that what is happenning is unprecidented and was not predicted by any model currently being used.

those observations are indicating an accelerated melting of BOTH poles. any data less recent than this summer is ancient history in this debate.

just thought you would like to know.

13. Cactus

Cactus Dana Miller

Media:
    So... if a scientist makes $10,000 from an oil company for any data doubting man caused global warming, they are bought off and corrupt. Yet Al Gore makes $100,000,000 advocating man caused global warming and he's admirable!:confused:

I guess it just depends on how it fits your agenda!

14. Cactus

Cactus Dana Miller

Media:
    This coming from the master... thank you!

And if you had bothered to read MY posts, you would know that I believe man has made some contribution to warming.

15. greyghost

greyghost Member

Media:
    Philster,
    I'm not attacking you, just offering an opinion if you are trying to persuade people that others research and statements are full of inaccuracies. But just for fun; Do I think that temps during a given short term period at one specific location could have increased by 6 degrees? Yes, I could believe that. Do I think that is indicative of global climate trends for the long term? Absolutely not. That would be a horrible assumption.
    I think global climate change is very complex and not fully understood. I do however find it impossible to believe that humans could have virtually no impact on the earth's atmosphere or climate. For many years, people thought we could have no impact on the ocean or other large waterbodies because of their sheer vastness, we now know that to be absolutely false. I do not buy into doomsday theories in the short term, but believe that changes locally and globally can lead to a better and more productive environment to live in today and tomorrow.

Pete

16. smc

smc Active Member

Media:
    I've said nothing about any scientist being bought off and corrupt. If that logic works for you, fine. I'd have to read the report and weight it against the available data before drawing any conclusions myself.

17. gt

gt Active Member

Media:
    cactus, are you trying to make a point??? you have lost me in your invective.

18. Dan Fordice

Dan Fordice New Member

19. gt

gt Active Member

Media:
    talk about a guy who is o-w-n-e-d. but i am sure he has the credentials to take on scientists from around the world and not only understand the data but actually intelligently comment on what has been emassed. just another talking head opinion which, at the end of the day, is meaningless.

20. Dan Fordice

Dan Fordice New Member

Owned by whom? Show me your data.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.