NFR - Global Warming Poll

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Scott Keith, Oct 18, 2007.

?

Do you believe in Global Warming?

No, the Earth is not warming 6 vote(s) 3.0%
Yes, the Earth is warming and it is mans fault 98 vote(s) 49.5%
Yes, the Earth is warming as part of its natural cycle 86 vote(s) 43.4%
How does this relate to fishing? 8 vote(s) 4.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rich L New Member

san francisco, ca
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    conservative in its estimates? its conservative because the natural forcings are left out. the issue is what is the magnitude of the human forcings compared to the magnitude of the natural forcings. comparitively speaking, the natural forcings are much more significant the the human forcings. THATS WHY THEY LEFT THEM OUT!!!!!!

i love how this issue has evolved from global warming to climate change and now the foundation for this arguement, which is humans do it, is getting flossed over. no one doubts the average temps are increasing. the problem is there are hacks that push this "humans warm planets" theory.

as far as i'm concerned, if you want to engage in this debate, you need a sophmore level thermodynamics course. if you don't have the BASIC knowledge spare us all, please.
  2. Rich L New Member

san francisco, ca
  3. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,623 / 2
    manbearpig killed Kyle on south park last night [IMG]
  4. Rich L New Member

san francisco, ca
    WRONG.

please, anyone back this statement up.

i have one thing to ask, AP articles written by jouranlists don't count
  5. Rich L New Member

san francisco, ca
    even kenny lived in the manbearpig epsiode. that must be the end of the world.....if kenny lived :rofl:
  6. smc Active Member

Up River
    Ratings: +25 / 0
    Seems to be the crux of your argument that the Anthropogenic Greenhouse Effect is postulated by "hacks" and dramatically rebuts the science. Stunning in it's elegance and simplicity. :rofl:

Love your "flexibility". :rolleyes:

That's Rich. I hereby nominate Rich L. for the 2008 Nobel Peace Prize for Science & Spelling. :rofl:
  7. gt Active Member

sequim, WA
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    gee, richL, i guess you must have missed your invite to the IPCC, too bad they passed over you as you seem to have the definitive answer to this question.

the AP reporter didn't invent the science, he quotes his sources, and simply makes public what these science based folks have discovered. did you even bother to click on the link??

and yes, i am sure there are far more intelligent professionals on the IPCC than are represented right here with our opinions about all of this. so lets just stick to the science which is being reported shall we?? after all the FAUX Fantasy network, just yesterday, was reporting that al queda actually was responsable for starting the CA fires! some 'news' source and still people tune them in and get their daily dose of bullshit.
  8. Birdsnest Member

Ratings: +8 / 0
    I don't think there is much room for argument over whether the weather is warming up or not (but I'm sure there are a few flat-earthers who would disagree). My personal opinion is that we are in a natural warming cycle, but it is being worsened by man. I also think that the bigger problem we face is the limited amount of oil (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peak_oil).
  9. Rich L New Member

san francisco, ca
    thats it everyone, smc got me. he clearly has demonstrated i have absolutely no idea what i'm talking about because i made a spelling error and he has absolutely no knowledge of thermodynamics and the differneces between temperature and heat. congratulations smc, you clearly are an example of why people think humans warm planets. GOOD JOB! now that the game is over you can have your capri sun and oreo cookies.
  10. Rich L New Member

san francisco, ca
    what the hell is this crap gt? don't you see, when you resort to this, you've lost. why don't you kick my dog and make fun of my mother? click on the link? i asked you to back it up. i don't care what randolph schmid writes. i could write gt from the washington fly fishing board is the greatest global warming salesman on the west coast and it would mean NOTHING!!!

you're like the politicians in my city. you say so much yet say nothing at all. i believe i asked you to back up your last statement and yet you provide al queda starting fires. :hmmm: wonder why smc does not question your spelling?

i would rather not stick with science that is reported becasue they aren't reporting science they are reporting political views. i speak from what i've learned not what i read from journalists who report "their side" i'm not stupid gt. so keep on sippin that kool aid. do i really need to provide you with people who wouldn't be caught dead working with the IPCC? Of course because the IPCC said so and all the AP writers report what the IPCC said means its true.

and you know what, before you jump on board the ipcc bandwagon, why don't you read the report.

[IMG]
  11. BFK Member

North Sound, Wash.
    Rich-- Wish I was going to be here to watch this develop, but I'm going to be expanding my carbon footprint-- by driving to a three-day fishing trip.

You've hit the target-- some folks here don't want an honest debate but would rather, at least most of the time, retreat behind thinly veiled, if they're veiled at all, insults. As I think I pointed out in an earlier post, when the ad hominem attacks start, you know the poster has nothing, no content at all.

Love the artwork...that would make a great avatar!
  12. gt Active Member

sequim, WA
    well richL, when you piss on someone's shoes, you should expect the favor to be returned.

your approach is to first tell everyone the IPCC report is flawed. you then move to obtuse references of not understanding thermodynamics. then you wish to discount reported events because they are, ah-humm, reported. and of course, the last insult is to claim big al is full of it.....and this is nothing more than a political 'game.'

now pardon me for jumping to the conclusions, but the tactics you are displaying in regard to what is most likely one of the greatest challenges 'we the people' will ever face (climate change) are nothing more than those we have all experienced as coming from the right and their talking heads at the FAUX Fantasy Network.

if you have references for peer reviewed articles which dispute climate change, post'um.

your oh-pin-yawn and a buckfifty will buy you a coffee of the day just as mine will. meaningless jabber lends nothing to understanding or clarifying.
  13. Philster New Member

Ratings: +3 / 0
    Someone posted that this type of threads is an intelligence test. It's not, it's a personality test :rofl: I honestly don't care what you argue, but HOW you argue.

I'm also thinking there are lots of folks around here who believe 9-11 was a Bush Conspiracy:rofl:
  14. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Ratings: +118 / 0
    "Yes, the Earth is warming as part of its natural cycle."

There should be a extra line: "The earth warming/cooling is part of its natural cycle." You could also add: 'man has made darned little difference either way.'
  15. gt Active Member

sequim, WA
    this whole thread, as well as the one before it, are actually classic examples of how we humans face risk and uncertainty. even if we admit the risk of climate change is there and it's consequent impacts catastrophic, our human strategy seems to kick in and we simply ignore the possiblities.
  16. Scott Keith Member

Arlington, WA
    Think of how much fishing time has been wasted on this post....
  17. Philster New Member

Only an idiot would waste fishing time on this post. I personally wasted laundry time:cool:
  18. FT Active Member

Burlington, WA
    Ratings: +102 / 0
    gt

Rich L asked a legitimate question: Have you read the complete IPCC report?

Along these same lines, Dr. Mote of the University of Washington, one of the folks who helped write the IPCC report, was here in Mount Vernon 2 weeks ago giving a talk on the effects of global warming. He made many rather dire predictions that may or may not come to pass (his qualifiers not mine) in the PNW, including here in Western Washington. However, when an older gent in the audience asked him for specifics and ranges of possible outcomes, Dr. Mote said there wasn't anyway for that to be done for any "small regional area" such as the PNW, let alone Western Washington. The models only allow possible predictions to be made for hemispheric quadrants.

The older gent then asked how he came up with his possible scenarios for the PNW and Western Washington since he just admitted there wasn't anyway to make such predictions for "small regional areas like the PNW let alone Western Washington. Dr. Mote responded that although it was "technically true" (and I always thought truth was truth) that it is not possible to make predictions for small regional areas like the PNW, it is his reponsibility to make "inferences" about what may happen so public policy can be influenced to prepare for the possible, worst case scenarios that might happen in the quadrant North America is located in.

Gee, one of the revered scientist involved in the IPCC report says although the computer models don't allow for regional predictions, it is his responsibility to do so to influence public policy. Last time I checked this was not called science, it was called divination.
  19. Philster New Member

Or Job Security, or Riding the Gravy Train, Making Hay while the Sun Shines, etc... Grants, Grad school chicks, it's good to be the harbinger of doom.
  20. gt Active Member

sequim, WA
    ahh, yes, i have read the IPCC report.

mr mote was simply giving you the bottom line from a scientists perspective. you are now free to imterpret those statements as:

1. no concern to me
    2. a guy who has leveled with the audience
    3. perphaps there is some veracity in the arguements
    4. none of the above

your choice FT, go'fur'it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.