NFR - Homebrew talk

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Evan Burck, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Been a while since we've had a good thread about brews. While I'm sitting here chatting with Matt Smith about his brew going on right now, I figured I had nothing better to do than start another thread about beer.

What's everyone been brewing (that brews) lately? I am about a week from kegging this IPA I brewed two weeks ago:
    http://www.brewmate.net/recipes/gPSjeZBHNP6MvMjGQCjF.xml

And also gots these three coming to the Hohdown:
    Winter Warmer: http://www.brewmate.net/recipes/6lIO68Cwwgym1yHO0fgd.xml

Big Black Hoh: http://www.brewmate.net/recipes/vE7yZT1Ja9B5LG8dn4x2.xml

Bacon Bomb Porter: http://www.brewmate.net/recipes/uIBfrAGMkbvO77CbhxXf.xml

Sunday I'm brewing up a batch of Saison that I'm going to age until summer with a pitch of Brettanomyces to give it some serious funk.

2. Jason Decker

Jason Decker Active Member

i'll drink you beer and let you know if its all good or not! starting with the bacon porter! JD

3. John Hilt

John Hilt YeeeeHaaw

I'm going to bottle a Russian Imperial Stout tomorrow and age it until August (I know not really a summer beer, but it was requested for a special occasion). I think I will keep a couple of bombers for next winter though. Up next will either be a honey ale or a jalepano ale, haven't decided yet.

The bacon porter sounds fantastic... now that I think about it, that could be next

4. casaboba

casaboba Member

Evan - As I am sure you already know, historically, in most beer styles, Brettanomyces is viewed as a contaminant and the characteristics it imparts are considered unwelcome "off-flavours." However, in some styles, particularly certain traditional Belgian ales, it is appreciated and encouraged. Lambic and gueuze owe their unique flavour profiles to Brettanomyces, and it is also found in Oud Bruin and Flanders red ale. Commercial examples of these styles include Liefmans Brown Ale, Rodenbach Grand Cru, and Duchesse de Bourgogne. The Orval Trappist monastery is unique in crafting the only Trappist beer with Brettanomyces characteristics. In Orval's case, the brewers add the yeast to the beer at bottling.

I'm an old "Wine Guy" and know a little about "Brett." Particularly as it relates to wine, but NOT to beer. So, in advance, no offence intended. As you probably know, brettanomyces in wine adds a characteristic highly similar to "horse sweat" or contemporarily speaking a "new band-aid" type of smell/subtle taste on the finish. What will the flavor/aroma be like in your Saison brew?

To the uninitiated this "flavor marker" may sound gross (Horse Sweat), but it is not. IF you own/owned a horse you would know of the characteristic. In wine, and now in Evan's Saison brew, it is a characteristic to me developed. Sounds like Evan is making some sophisticated & tasty offerings. "Funk" is good...

5. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

I am no stranger to brett or souring cultures. I'm quite the fan of it in the right styles. This will be my 4th Brett beer I've done.

6. Jake Smulkowski

Jake Smulkowski Throwing hoppers into baetis falls

All sound great! I am getting back to it - have an imperial IPA in the works for the weekend, unfortunately, it is extract...looking to upgrade soon. Anyway - here it is:

Fermentables:
    14 lbs. liquid pale
    2 lbs. 60l crystal

Staggered hop bill:
    3 oz. Centennial
    3 oz. Chinook
    3 oz. Citra
    3 oz. Cascade

Yeast:
    California Ale

7. Matthew Gulbranson

Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Evan, I hope to try your Horse Sweat sometime when it's done. I brewed up some barleywine:http://www.brewmate.net/recipes/1xoPPIxKpmIZzbqBSPT5.xml with double the hops in this recipe. It's been sitting for about three weeks on the yeast, and it's got one more week to go before secondary.

Then I think it's another IPA. Possibly a double, we'll see.

And Evan, for some reason the site looks like it's down :(

8. Paul Huston

Paul Huston Swinger

I'm enjoying a Cascadian Dark Ale / Black IPA right now, and have a 5 gallon batch of oatmeal stout on its 3rd week of bottle conditioning.

Will have both at the HohDown

9. Shawn Seeger

Shawn Seeger (aka. wabowhunter)

I got about 12, 14oz of a New Years Sweet Stout left and I have 16, 14oz of a Firecracker Red (made with Red Hot's) left... had one of the Firecrackers with the jambalaya for dinner... I am thinking about putting another stout together in a week or two...

10. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Lookin up to me. I know we've been having some issues with the Brewmate site lately. I think our server is being all stupid.

You tasted the barleywine yet?

11. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Hah... I impulsively add hops throughout the boil my IPAs. I have a problem where I'm not satisfied without at least 7 or 8 additions. I'm all about piling them on in the last 15mins of the boil.

Ex: The IPA I brewed (among 7 other beers) for my wedding: http://www.brewmate.net/recipes/AQpHkhZcBAhr9e9f9SAj.xml

Chinook 13.0% 20.00 g / 0.71 oz Boil 90 mins
    Warrior 15.0% 20.00 g / 0.71 oz Boil 90 mins
    Simcoe 13.0% 10.00 g / 0.35 oz Boil 45 mins
    Columbus (Tomahawk) 14.0% 20.00 g / 0.71 oz Boil 30 mins
    Centennial 10.0% 20.00 g / 0.71 oz Boil 15 mins
    Simcoe 13.0% 10.00 g / 0.35 oz Boil 10 mins
    Sorachi Ace 12.0% 20.00 g / 0.71 oz Boil 5 mins
    Centennial 10.0% 28.00 g / 0.99 oz Boil 1 mins
    Simcoe 13.0% 10.00 g / 0.35 oz Boil 1 mins
    Centennial 10.0% 20.00 g / 0.71 oz Dry Hop 3 days
    Chinook 13.0% 20.00 g / 0.71 oz Dry Hop 3 days
    Citra 10.0% 20.00 g / 0.71 oz Dry Hop 3 days
    Simcoe 13.0% 10.00 g / 0.35 oz Dry Hop 3 days

12. Matthew Gulbranson

Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

13. guybg

guybg New Member

The bacon bomb porter sounds similar in idea to the Rauchbier I used to get in Germany. Loved that stuff.

I went to Bamburg where it is brewed and the story there is that many years ago the monks had a fire in their monastery and accidentally smoked the malt before they could get the fire put out. They decided to go ahead and salvage the malt and used it to make the first Rauchbier...after that it became a tradition to smoke the malt.

True or not?...I don't know...but I love that smokey flavor.

14. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

It was grand. But I'm done using Simcoe. Shit just tastes like onions

15. Matt Smith

Matt Smith On the river Noyb

16. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

I have 2 in the secondary fermentation stage right now. One is an IPA the other is a Mac N Jacks clone.

My plan is to try to move to all grain prior to summer.

I tasted the IPA on Tuesday when transferred it. I liked it. My friend transferred the M&J clone and sampled that. He said it was quite good as well. I'm really liking this homebrewing but I'd like to realize a little more cost savings by going to all grain.

I'm sure some of you can expect a few more PM's in the near future as I try out new things.

Go Sox,
    cds

17. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Any particular reason for the secondary? I really only do secondary on lagers, and beers with (real) secondary fermentations like my brett beer. Otherwise, you're actually just opening yourself up to increased possibility of infection and oxidation. Just let it sit in primary for about 3wks, and bottle/keg from there! No need to add extra steps that don't really help much.

18. Mike Wilson

Mike Wilson Yakbowbw

I am going to brew Friday with summer in mind. Nothing satisfies you more than a nice, light, crisp 7% rye after mowing the lawn or barbequing. I usually use ale yeast but this time I am going to use a lager yeast. I am also brewing a belgium honey ale... my personal favorite. I always kick it up a notch with extra honey, my goal for alcohol content is +9. My third brew will be a rye based ale that I turn into an IPA, I call it RyePA, again amped up to at least 9%. I haven't brewed since September 2010 and I am good and ready for the event. Why is it that many if not all fly fishermen seem to love all things beer? Some of the best brewers I know are fly fishermen. Must be our love of reading the water? :)

19. Matt Smith

Matt Smith On the river Noyb

I second Evan on the secondary, I used to secondary everything, but now I only secondary my long aging beers. Just keep it to one fermenter and life will be so much easier.

20. @guybg

Your story is fanciful. Actually all beers were smoked flavored originally. You need heat to dry the malted grains quickly so they won't rot and the only heat source primitive humans had was direct heat with wood, that naturally generates a lot of smoke. Once people switched over to kilns to dry the malt out with indirect heat, beer lost it's smoke flavor. Beer has generally become lighter and lighter over time as well, as technology developed. What you had in Bamberg was no freak accident but a beer right out of history. Mmmm... delicious history....