NFR - Homebrew talk

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Evan Burck, Mar 4, 2011.

1. guybg

guybg New Member

Like I said....I couldn't vouch for the story's accuracy...it's just the story they tell there.

2. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Media:
    Home Page:
    The major reason is that the recipe that I am working off of directed me to do it. I really don't know what I'm doing yet. The nice thing is that I got to try my beverage. The better part was that I like what I tried.

I just finished reading the complete joy of homebrewing. I got through that bitch in 2 days. That is the extent of my knowledge. Next time I may try your approach. It seems simpler and simpler is good. Especially if I do go to all grain.

Any other suggestions? I usually figure I am the smartest man in the room, but I am sure that isn't the case for this subjet.

Go Sox,
    cds

3. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    Yikes... Honestly, forget everything you read. The book is a "classic," but incredibly outdated and will actually steer you in quite the wrong direction. I highly suggest "How to Brew" by John Palmer. Much, much, much better book. I read it after having brewed professionally, and brewing 100+ homebrew batches, and still learned some great stuff. I read "Complete Joy of Homebrewing" once after I already knew what I was doing, and it actually gave me a bit of a chuckle.

4. Charles Sullivan

Media:
    Home Page:
    Jesus Burck. Can you tell my wife that she bought the wrong book? It won't go over well if I tell her.

I'll try and pick up Palmer's book. I have a couple of human beings that can help me as well. So far I've just followed a couple of recipes from syrup. Hopefully I'll help a friend do an all grain batch soon (when his supply starts to look low) and come up with a mash tun/ lauter tun. From there I think I can figure this whole thing out and maybe save a little cash. Thanks for the advice. Like I wrote, some of you can expect a PM or 2 in the future.

Go Sox,
    cds

5. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    Hah, sorry. Anyways, the first edition of Palmer's book is on his website to read for free. Obviously, the second and third editions are much more complete, but it's still worth it for free: http://howtobrew.com/intro.html

When you're ready to build a mash tun, let me know. I have a very simple design that I use for my mash tuns. Doesn't need to be the least bit fancy or expensive to make good beer.

6. Charles Sullivan

Media:
    Home Page:
    Burck's giving me homework now. I'll have it done soon.

Go Sox,
    cds

7. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    just finishing mash out on my saison now. I'm also going to be starting a 5gal batch of traditional mead as well today. Been 2yrs since I did my last mead, figured I was due.

8. Matt Smith

Matt Smith On the river Noyb

Media:
    Read the new "Yeast" book by Jamil Zainasheff too. Yeast is Thee most important ingredient, this book gives it it's due and is super informative. Thats after you read How to Brew. Also look up http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/ and listen to the podcasts. You will learn a ton!

9. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    All of these things are excellent suggestions! And if you're not making your own recipes yet, Jamil's book he wrote with John Palmer, "Brewing Classic Styles" is another must have.

10. Matt Smith

Media:
    How did I forget to leave that one out?

11. cpjm

cpjm New Member

My own version of a rye based beer is more of a wheat/rye beer:
    ---Ryeno Lips---
    2# flaked rye, 1/2# 40L Crystal, 1/2# Munich, 1/2# toasted 2-row (350 deg for 10 minutes)
    6# wheat extract
    1 oz Mt Hood (60min, 5-6 hbu), 1 oz Hood (30 min, 5-6 hbu), 1/2 Hallertauer (10 min, 1-2 hbu), 1/2 oz Hallertauer (2 min, 1-2 hbu)
    American Hefe Wyeast #1010
    Primary ferment 1-2 weeks, secondary ferment 1 week, keg and enjoy!

It turns out VERY smooth and runs across the tongue like velvet. I've made it seven times over my 15+ years of brewing and haven't been disappointed yet. Other favorites are: Fishhook ESB, Murderous Crow Schwartzbier, Bohemian Beauty, Starbucks Starry Night Espresso Stout, Admiralty Alt, Camel Spit IPA, Bockadoodledoo, Britisher's Brown Ale, and Watertown Blueberry Lager. My first batch in 1996 was a kit, the following 76 have all been original recipes. Find a style you like, read about it, comb the recipe books and sites, then go your own way... very rewarding when you just "nail it!" Cheers.

12. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    Think I'm gonna do a run of lagers next month after I free up some fermenter space. I think my summer will be much better with some Dortmunder Export, Vienna Lager, and Schwarzbier on tap.

13. Charles Sullivan

Media:
    Home Page:
    Do nyou all use a refridgerator for lager? I have one. I also have a basement.

Go Sox,
    cds

14. Matt Smith

Media:
    I have a fridge for my kegs, but I have never done a lager. For my ales I built a Son of Fermentation Chiller (look it up online) Its a tempature controlled foam box which keep my temps just perfect for ales. It also keeps the light out to avoid skunkyness. My beers got waaaaay better when I focused on yeast and fermentation tempature.
    If you do use a fridge for lagering, get a tempature controler for it. They are like $70 and worth every penny.

15. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    I have a chest freezer that I have a temp controller on. I do my fermentations in there (can hold it anywhere from 20f+), then lager in my beer fridge in the keg.

My beer fridge:
    [​IMG]
    (the carboy in there is my mead I made today. had to heat the water a bit to dissolve the honey. it's chilling to pitching temps)

16. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

Media:
    Even, you have Waaayyyyy to much beer in there. I think you need to invite me over to help you open up some storage space.

17. Matt Smith

Media:
    Jeff, I agree, That is way too much beer surplus! I will help with that Firestone Walker
    These are the kegs for the HohDown
    [​IMG]
    Beer Fridge
    [​IMG]
    Fermentation Chiller with a Pliny the Elder Clone chugging away
    [​IMG]

They are not really sideways in my house, i was too lazy to rotate them.

18. Schemy

Schemy Member

Media:
    I have a traditional Bock that I brewed up for spring. It was my first attempt at lagering, and I definitely have a lot to learn there. Now I am trying to decide what to brew next. Thinking a belgian style, but not sure which route to go. May do a farmhouse ale.

19. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    For lagers, the biggest thing (besides fermentation temps) is pitching enough yeast. You need to do a healthy starter, otherwise, pitch about 4-5 vials/packs of yeast.

If you go the belgian/farmhouse route: I have some very very good belgian recipes that I made up a while ago and have brewed a half dozen times each. I'd say my belgians are typically my best beers. Love brewing those.

20. Schemy

Schemy Member

Media:
    I love drinking them, and thought it would be a good way to appreciate them even more. I hope you don't mind me picking your brain if I have any questions.