NFR - Homebrew talk

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Evan Burck, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Eric Tarcha gear whore

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +12 / 0
    HAHAHAA!!! nice.

Evan didnt like my last effort...too bananaie for him....;)
  2. kyle Member

Yelm, wa
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Yeah I have a bubbler for it to keep bugs out. Can you go right from fermenter to bottles or will it break the bottles.
  3. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,600 / 2
    Just gots to pitch more yeast! And bring that ferment temp down a bit.
  4. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    On a mead, leave it in primary for about 6wks. I always do secondary on meads, and do a cold crash to keep as much yeast out of the bottles as possible.
  5. kyle Member

Yelm, wa
    what I don't get is whats the purpose of the secondary. Cant it do the same thing in bottles. Is there anyone that has a relatively simple recipe for mead. Not looking for anything secret or anything. Send me a pm. The recipe I used had me using regular bread yeast and rasins and slices of lemon.
  6. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Secondaries are pointless for most beers. But for mead, you want it to sit in secondary for at least a month to let any additional suspended yeast to fall out to the bottom. With mead, you don't want yeast in your bottle.

Recipe: 3lb honey per gallon of water. warm the water a bit (about 80f) to help dissolve the honey, mix with a clean/sanitized spoon in a clean/sanitized vessel of some sort, add yeast nutrients (honey has no nutrients for the yeast), and pitch a pack of dry champagne yeast when the must gets to about 70f.
  7. Sloan Craven Active Member

NoSho, ma
    Ratings: +30 / 0
    People should really check out homebrewtalk.com if they're interested in more information on this subject.

The more you know.
  8. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    www.thebrewingnetwork.com = by far the best resource
  9. ribka Active Member

E WA
    Ratings: +164 / 0
    Time to close down this thread!!

Now I have to get all of my brew crap out of my garage, clean it and make an IPA.

I thought I had beat that monkey on my back.

Damn you all!!
    :beer1::beer1:
  10. Chloe's DAD New Member

Port Orchard, Wa
    evan sec ferm gets rid of dead or sleeping cells and in sec ferm u get a cleaner beer, i did a extreme ipa and it will knock your pee pee in the DIRT! i had several recipes from olympic brewing in bremerton. Bill the owner is retired and disectx all kinds of beer and wine and comes damn close. irish red is good and pale ale turned out great and now im brewing a fat bastard scotch ale.:beer1::beer2:
  11. Chloe's DAD New Member

Port Orchard, Wa
    o i forgot there prices are awesome and the same price you'll find on the web he will hold classes one or twice a month when they do a batch for them selfs u can watch and learn and pick there brains. Don't forget to bring some of your favorite batch and your fly rod for the cutts best time ever.:thumb::beer2:
  12. ribka Active Member

E WA
    Ratings: +164 / 0
    Would not opposed to you sharing a recipe with me.
  13. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    I know what secondary is supposed to do, it's just not necessary, especially if you're kegging. I've brewed 100+ homebrew batches, and have brewed professionally at three different breweries. I've seen and done a whole lot of this, so I've definitely got set in my ways as far as process at this point.
  14. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Ratings: +562 / 0
    This sounds like a great hobby and I may have to take it up sometime. I have a question: I was at Silver City Brewery in Silverdale last summer and discovered their Fat Scotch Ale I believe. It kicked my ass and tasted great while drinking a couple on tap and (being warned by an old lady to be careful on the drive home... she was right! Wholly cow!). So I bought a couple bottles to take home. About a week later I cracked a bottle to drink. No way did it taste the same, in fact, I was downright disappointed. What gives Brewmasters????
  15. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    There are some quality issues with some of the bottling locally. Most of our local breweries use a mobile bottling service that goes from brewery to brewery to bottle their beer for them, not sure if Silver City is part of that. But it's about a 50/50 shot at a local bottled beer being as good as it's supposed to be around here.
  16. Chloe's DAD New Member

Port Orchard, Wa
    silvercity opened a brewplant offcite from the resturant. the fat scotch ale used to be called Fat Bastard Scotch Ale but who knows why they change the name. I am Brewing a clone, cause your right it is good on tap. I did a clone of Mirror Pond It was really good. Now in the fridge is
    Extreme IPA
    Here is a beer that kicks up the alcohol content offering generous additions of hop. The Aromatic and Victory Malt proivde body and balance to the hops but less sweetness than a crystal malt would give. My wife says one 22 and done! She is correct holie sheets "One an Done". But Bottleing has its downfall but u just cannot take a keg to the fishing spot, U will have people come out of the bushes. ha ha:beer2:
  17. Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

bellingham wa
    Ratings: +521 / 0
    I just put my first all grain batch in secondary. It's an IPa and so far tastes outstanding. I am very pleased. Bottled a Manny's extract clone as well. This seemed a little light. We'll see how the conditioning helps.

Go Sox,
    cds
  18. Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +47 / 0
    Bottled up Evan's Sorachi Ass IPA last weekend and just cracked it last night....YUM! I doubled some of the hop additions, especially the dry. Very tasty! I have noticed that with some of the IPA's that are very hop heavy, the taste will change quite a bit in the first few months it's in the bottles. I'm sure this is just an aging thing, but the bright notes of the hops tend to diminish with time. I guess I just have to drink it more and sooner!

Pondering my next IPA....
  19. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    IPAs are one of the only beers that I feel don't benefit from aging. Bright hop notes fall out, and they tend to get a pretty bad oxidative flavor after a while (not always the case, but is more common than not). Most of my malt-forward beers I like to let sit for a while, the IPAs go straight to the tap.

My buddy and I brewed 15gals of my english barleywine recipe last week. Going to have lots of extra to store away for a few years! I also have my black lager about ready to keg, then brewing a maibock. Once that's done, it's on to brewing beers for the pink fest!
  20. Mike Wilson Yakbowbw

Everett, WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    My Rye Lager just went on tap... good.