NFR - Homebrew talk

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Evan Burck, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Media:
    Home Page:
    Just brewed up my 3rd all grain yesterday. Hit 81% efficiency. This will be one hot ESB.

Got ine IPA in the bottle and I'm a week into a light Manny's clone. This sure is a fun hobby.

Go Red Sox,
    cds

2. lespaulrock

lespaulrock Member

Good for you for going all grain. 81% is great for your third batch, what's the abv on the esb? I'm just about to bottle my 4th of July beers, gotta love the homebrew!
    Next investment is to try and figure out a way to can, tired of taking bottles camping and fishing.

3. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

Media:
    Thats what kegs are for.:thumb:

4. Charles Sullivan

Media:
    Home Page:
    I have not run the ABV numbers yet. I probably won't. I'm guessing 7.5% or so. (this is the point in the discussion where Evan corrects my flawed assumption)

I am trying to come up with 4-5 beers that I like that I can repeat so I'm more concerned with always being at 81% efficiency than anything else. Consistancy is the key right?

Anyone brew an all grain pilsner? I got the fridge but I'm a little worried about the mashing.

Go Red Sox,
    cds

5. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    I've done all grain Pilsners and a few Munich Helles. You definitely have to have your processed pretty dialed. Any flaws will show through. But when you nail it, it's a NICE thing to have on tap!

And what is it I'm supposed to correct you on again?

6. Charles Sullivan

Media:
    Home Page:
    Alchohol content on a 1.068 ESB (pre-boil gravity). I'm guessing 7.5%

Is the Decoctin mash requiredfor the pilsner? This is my major concern. You see I tend to drink a bit on brew day and there seems to be an awful lot of steps.

Go Red Sox,
    cds

7. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    Nah, no decoction mash necessary. Just 100% highly modified Pilsner malt and you'll be good to go.

Your alcohol calculations will depend on starting gravity as well as terminal gravity. If your beer finished out at about 1.015 (about where it probably is if it finished), your ABV will be 6.5%.

8. ruudb420

ruudb420 In search of Meat Madness

Charles, what was your Post boil (pre ferment) gravity(Original Gravity or OG)? Knowing this and your post fermentation gravity(Final or Terminal gravity) will give you abv%. Rooftop brewing has a pretty sweet online abv calculator at: http://www.rooftopbrew.net/abv.php
    If you started with 1.068 pre boil and assuming 15% boil off I would think your OG should have been around 1.078. With a FG of 1.015 I calculate that your ABV is 8.4%, which would make your ESB more of a strong Ale than an ESB. Your FG depends greatly on mash temp and wheter or not you use yeast nutrient and oxygenate your wort. Even if you got down to 1.020 I calculate your ABV to be 7.7%. Enjoy that big beer and put a couple bottles away to see how it ages.

A great way to measure OG during the brew day is with a refractometer. Only takes a couple of drops and is less temperature dependent than the hydrometer, unfortunately it only works pre-fermentation as alcohol will throw off the refraction.

For those that don't know the Fathers Day Brew Fest in Kenmore this coming weekend is Badass. Pumped I get to go this year.

9. Charles Sullivan

Media:
    Home Page:
    Thanks man. Unfortunately, I drank too much on brew day and forgot to get a final gravity. I had passed out and when I woke up to siphon the wort into the fermenter I forgot. That's what happened. The beer will be fine, even if it's a bit strong.

Go Sox,
    cds

10. Charles Sullivan

Media:
    Home Page:
    Thought I'd resurect my favorite NFA link.
    The ESB discussed above turned to shit as it got too warm during fermentation and I had sever ester issues. I gave it to my buddy who will drink anything. He thought it was good.

This weekend I made 3 beers. I made a brown ale with a friend on his fancy system with a pump and everything. Grain got below his false bottom on his mashtun and plugged the pump twice. It was a bitch but eventually we finished and hit all our numbers.

At home I made a pale ale. Post boil gravity at 1.045 which should keep me upright.

Yesterday I made a light Ale. 2-row, Columbus and Hallertau. This is an experiment in minimalism. I made a similar beer out of extract 1 year ago and it was quite good. This will be my all-grain version. I figure it's a good starting point to figure out a nice light ale for wiffle ball games etc. same gravity- same amout of fermentables as the Pale Ale. I'm starting to get my system dialed in.

I gotta count bottles now and see if I can pump out an IPA this week.

Go Sox,
    cds

11. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout New Member

This is an awesome thread - it combines my two favorite hobbies.
    I'm a novice fly-fisherman and homebrewer. Got serious about both last year.
    I just kegged two different Belgian Saisons the other day. Both turned out very nice.
    I've just finished building a "ugly junk" grain mill out of an old Corona mill and eager to put it to work. It looks like a Belgian Dubbel will be the first home-milled brew, probably this weekend. I'm loving the Belgians right now.
    At any rate, thanks for helping me waste a few minutes during the work day!

12. Eric Tarcha

Eric Tarcha gear whore

Media:
    Charles good chatting with you yesterday. I brewed up a schwarzbier and another batch of that IPA today. I think I am going to pull the trigger on the all grain. Talk to you soon.

13. Schemy

Schemy Member

Media:
    Resurecting an old one here.

Since my last post in this thread, I've gone from extract on my third batch to having around 20 all grain batches under my belt. From bottling to a three tap kegerator. I just bugged a Brown Ale in a used whiskey barrel for an attempt at a sour.

Anybody got anything new on tap?

14. Charles Sullivan

Media:
    Home Page:
    Made an IPA yesterday. Well, I brewed it.

My wife likes IPA's. She likes to buy them in 22 oz bottles. That way she is able to pay at least 3 times what the beer would cost if she puchased a 12 pack. The added benefit is that because she is a 100 pound asian woman she can only drink 1/2 leaving 1/2 to go flat or I have to drink it even though I'd likely rather drink something else. Combine this with with all of her MBA study groups at various establishments and somehow her beer bill is beginning to approach mine. This is a truly impressive feat given her stature, inability to process alchohol, and what my monthly beer bill is.

Hopefully, she likes this batch so she can have 4 1/2 cases of beer that I created for 50 cents a bottle rather than $3.50.

This weekend I'm gonna either go with my house pale ale or a pilsner. Or maybe an Octoberfest. mmmmmmmm Octoberfest. Maybe I'll just buy a few more fermentation vessels and brew all of them.

I am also creating a fermentation chamber in my basement using the earth's temperature to maintain a 50-52 degree temp year rouns for lagers. I'll likely start that today as I am home with a sick kid. Now I just gotta get my second fridge to the basement from the garage and I'll be ready for the end times. If I'm going to hell (and if the Christians are right, I am) I'm going drunk!

I have recently been able to buy bulk grains from Canada at wholesale prices. I paid less than $0.60/ lb. I ended up buying 165 lbs. I failed at my homegrown hops though, so I'm stuck buying those. Fortunately I can do this by the lb for most hops.

Go Red Sox,
    cds

15. Gary Knowels

Gary Knowels Active Member

Media:
    Anyone making GF beer? I might be willing to front the (reasonable) material cost to have you brew it and split the batch assuming it is tasty. Free (except time) beer for you and tasty GF beer for me, WIN-WIN!

16. Schemy

Schemy Member

Media:
    I have not tried making any GF beer. The homebrewers I know that have, said it has not turned out well. Lucky for me I don't really worry about it.

Charles - good idea on the ferm chamber. My hb club has a lagering freezer that we built up. I'm not all that into lagers so I have yet to use it. I may do a maibock for the spring.

I am able to buy bulk through various breweries and homebrew club grain buys. I also wash yeast, so my cost for 10 gallons is usually less than $10. We have a hops plot going, but first year did not turn out so well with this mid-west drought.

We've also gotten into barrel aging. We were able to source a Templeton Rye Whiskey barrel from a brewery, and have aged a belgian stout and currently have an ESB aging.

I brewed a Rye IPA this summer that came out amazing. I'll pm you the recipe.

Go Sox