(NFR) I-90 Toll Proposal

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by 509, Jul 1, 2006.

1. BigBill

BigBill Banned or Parked

I could be wrong but it seems like this is a political issue. Anytime politics are involved, god/guns/republicans & democrats are always involved. Right?

2. Normally I'd agree. Unfortunatly, here, I don't think guns or god or political party are involved. It comes down to the almighty dollar. Most of the small towns in central and eastern washington depend on the mass exodus on the weekends from seattle to make their money. The huge highway infrastructure necessary to get the people to those small towns to spend money needs massive repair. The small towns still want us to come and spend $10.00 for a warm beer in a rusty can and $30.00 for 5 pieces of soft bone dry fire wood. However, they do not want to pitch in and repair the roads that we use to get to their overpriced merchandise and beautifull land. Simple "I don't wanna pay" is the issue here, not god or guns.

3. PETI

PETI Member

I think toll roads would be a good idea if they were built and maintained with the revenue generated. Not confiscated hiways built with tax dollars contributed by all.
    But here's a better idea. Why not just take all people that earn less than say $50,000.00 a year, tattoo inmate ID numbers on their foreheads, house them in barracks next to the woksites and be done with it.:p

Peter

4. BigBill

BigBill Banned or Parked

Ok so my, "reading between the lines" skills are a bit off. Oh well, thanks for the insight Erie. I've been spending too much time reading the, "inconvenient truth" posts, so everything seems political to me right now, lol.

Hey, it's 4:30, about time to go wet a line and see what kind of evening hatch is in store...

5. Right on. I'm off to do the same. :thumb:

Too bad Prayin to God, guns or tying politicians to the end of a line won't catch many steelhead. :rofl: Otherwise, we'd have soaked up enough info on here today to slay the entire summer run tonight ptyd

6. Allison

Allison Banned or Parked

Since we have largely eviscerated out tax base with a few initiatives, and 90 sems to be a maintenance hog of late, I might tolerate a tax solution that paid for users of 90 to pay something.

The Times linky no worky any more though, and the devil is in the details.

7. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Media:
    Home Page:
    Being that yer a edjicated inner-city liberal, I'm surprised (nay shocked!) at your belligerent use of such a non-PC term (I prefer to be called "a little person"). Guess you can take the boy out of Eastern Washington, but you can't take the Eastern Washington out of the boy.

Cheers, frog!
    ------------------------
    O Mykiss sed:

Don't let the door hit you on your ass on the way out, you little midget.:p

(in hoc signo . . . ;))[/QUOTE]

8. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith Active Member

Media:
    Folks, if you think that people are treated unfairly and that there's a huge culture gap in Washington, go to New York City! Go to Washington Heights, a large Dominican community in Uptown, and you see noisy freeways, dirtier sidewalks, dangerous crosswalks, crappy playgrounds. Then you go to anywhere bordering Central Park and everything is clean, there are way more schools, there is Central Park, more parks, Starbucks, museums etc. So basically wealthy people towards the center of an economic powerhouse will be the center of attention, even if they don't represent the overall culture of the region. Pretty simple concept. It's the same sort of thing in Washington, but to a much lesser degree. I know that very few of you Eastsiders have cockroaches, and your side of the state is very friendly, equally beautiful IMO, and cheap to live in. Westsiders pay more for mortgage/groceries/gas/coffee/taxes, but they are the greatest source of the state's revenue, and should be treated accordingly(nothing personal here, I'm not from WA). How good do you think major backups on SR-520, I-5/405 and the passes are for our state's economy? All that wasted gas money brings consumer spending down. All that wasted time lowers productivity and lowers the quality of life for individuals and families, slows down the Port of Seattle/Tacoma, and the vehicle emissions are plainly visible on the yellow July horizon. So yeah, the Seattle area's roads need work and it's a much bigger issue than consumers getting an easy ride to work. Though tolls are highly annoying, it's only fair that the rest of the state's cost of living goes up along with major urban centers, especially if farmers want their produce to ship on time. Ok, I'm done with my disorganized rant.

9. salt dog

salt dog card shark

Media:
    Highway 2 is one of the most dangerous roads in the State. I refuse to travel on it.

10. Agreed, I've seen some pretty nasty pileups on that thing. 522 Isn't much better. Of course, backroading it in the monroe sultan goldbar area is just as dangerous. I saw a really bad one yesterday. Doing 60 on in a 35 zone loaded with blind bends = dead people. :( Probably someone trying to skirt the hwy 2/522 4th of july camper backups on the back roads.

11. 509

509 New Member

Westsiders pay more for mortgage/groceries/gas/coffee/taxes, but they are the greatest source of the state's revenue, and should be treated accordingly(nothing personal here, I'm not from WA). How good do you think major backups on SR-520, I-5/405 and the passes are for our state's economy?

Yes, but the issue is more complex than this. The basic unit of government in Washington is the county. It is the counties that provide most public services. There is a tendency in western Washington to believe that the state government is the basic provider of governmental services since they tend to use for stadiums and other local services.

The only report I have seen on state government is that the west-side of the state pays for part of the transportation needs of eastern Washington. This was prior to all the new gas taxes. So the tolls probably make sense. Other government services are a push....each region pays its costs. Remember that there are 1.5 million people east of the Cascades and three large metropolitan areas according to the census folks. Until recently, eastern Washington has the same population than Idaho and is still larger than Montana. If it was a state on its own it would be the 38th or so largest in the union.

Where we the eastern Washington folks subsidize western Washington is in police, hospital, search and rescue, etc. Here in Chelan County search and rescue costs the county about 500,000 at year for mostly retrieving King and Snohomish County residents. With only 70,000 residents that is a lot of money!!! 25% of the guests at the county jail are from west of the Cascades.

My favorite story is the gentleman that came over from the coast with his two friends. They got into an argument at the Big Y whether to drive over I-90 or Highway 2 on their way home. So he shot and killed them. Chelan County had to pay for the jail time, the trial, etc. etc. That turned out to be a very expensive day trip for the taxpayers of Chelan County.

The hospital in Quincy almost went bankrupt since they must provide services to concert goers at the Gorge. The hospital was going to close until the Gorge management paid 200,000 dollars to cover part of the deficit.

Both sides of the state need to have an honest discussion of the costs of providing public services. The state also has mechanisms to cover some of these costs, but I don't think anybody knows who is getting a subsidy and who is getting a free ride.

12. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    I'm sitting here reading this and I'm disgusted. I disgusted that Washingtonians can't pull their polarized heads out of their asses and come togther for solutions to problems. Instead we continue to draw lines and fire salvos over each others bows. Red this, Blue that, east, west, red neck, liberal, jeezus folks do you hear what you're saying?

If everyone took as much energy and interest in making things better instead of pissing and moaning I'll bet the drive would be a piece of cake and there'd be no toll.

13. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Media:
    iagree

Didn't we get over all this separatist shit after the '04 election fiasco? You can draw all the lines in the sand you want and it's not going to change the fact that you get along better with some of your neighbors than others, whether it's at the state, county, or street level. If all this crap actually happened, we'd be so distracted and busy rewriting laws, setting up governments, and redesigning flags that China would have even less trouble kicking the USA's ass economically.

14. jessejames

jessejames Flyslinger

Media:
    Roper:
    You shouldn't be taking any of this seriously! Actually expecting a solution takes all the fun out of it. If you are going to ask me to quit picking on the west siders then I am going to have to just harass the Spudheads (citizens of Idaho). Oh well off the the St Joe to catch some of those wonderful Ideeho Cutthroats.
    Blessings
    jesse clark

15. FLUFISKE37

FLUFISKE37 New Member

Hello my ffbums,
    No way jose!! To pay for that toll at 4 bucks each way look how much we are paying for our gas tax also motel tax and etc.. We are taxed to death in WA so best for us not to become like the east coast where they have pay tolls everywhere! We are the land of the free (supposely) unfortunately not in many situations where we are living in this country.
    Tight lines!!:mad: