(NFR) I need help

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Greg Gilliland, May 3, 2004.

1. The motor or transmission is screwing up in the wifes van. When you are accelrating it kinds hiccups she says. I think it kinda stalls a little, It will do it when going from a dead stop, or even acclerating in speeding up. Anybody have any ideas at what could be wrong? Iam stumped for ideas. I was wondering if the tranny needs serviced or a tune up on the motor. Maybe clogged fuel filter?

Thanks Greg

2. Ron Eagle Elk

Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

I'm no great mechanic, but it sounds like a distributor advance problem to me, but these new fangled electronic ignitions are a mystery to me. A good tune up may help and may be cheaper than a tranny service. If you have a friend with a scope have them check it out, or have a repair service do the checking.

REE

3. How do they check for those things and how do they fix it. Also hooking it up to a computer will it tell them what wrong? I am not sure if there is a disrubutor in it or not?

4. Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice Senior Member

how many miles you got on that ? when is the last time you tuned it? Sounds like Distributor or fuel filter could be clogged? I would get it tuned up first. Definitely doesn't sound like a tranny problem though. I would guess fuel filter. just my 02 cents.

5. 116,000 miles With the fuel filter clogged would it still idle fine and when you are going dwon the highway run fine? Will try and get it in this week for a tune up. Can they put it on there scope and check it out for whats wrong?

6. Big K1

Big K1 Large Member

Maybe the O2 sensor. If it hiccups once or multiple times when accelerating usually at highway speeds when you try to pass a car or going up a hill the O2 sensor can be the culprit.

Kevin

7. Stephen Rice

Yeah it could. the reason for the stutter would be because your upping the psi when you step on the gas which would cause the debris to push against the input to the line. or could be the O2 sensor what ever the heck that is. I am a old motor head 60's and 70's you know when you could still actually work on motors.LOL
    Steve

8. I found what I think might had been the problem. I was looking arounf the top of the motor and noticed a vaccum line that was not pushed on all the way, it was not off but very close to it. I drove it approx 30 miles varing speeds and stepping on the gas on and off at differnt speeds. Nothing, ran great. So I will try for a few days anymore ideas? Steve I have a 66 Chevy II 327 small block, piece of cake to work on. Wish all cars were that east to do.

9. Stephen Rice

I had 67 RS Camaro with a big block 350 cherry red and Mickey thompsons. I loved that car.

10. clockwork

clockwork New Member

if it is a carburated motor, i would first look at the accelerator pump. the rubber diaphragms tend to crack and wear out over time, causing a lean condition on acceleration because its not shooting enough gas down with the increased air. after that i would look into the rest of the carb, it may need a rebuild. next, you may have either a worn out vacuum advance and/or a worn(sticky) mechanical advance in the distributor. on FI vehicles, the O2 sensor is a perinnial cause of these hesitation problems. also, if your van has one, the "crank sensor" can cause this as well, this is apparently a device that dictates the FI. i doubt this is a tranny problem. -ryan

11. Ron Eagle Elk

Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Dang, there's a lot of old motor heads here. Give me points, plugs and condensers any day. I hate these new fangled things. That vacuum line was probably the bad guy. It may have affected the ignition system advance. On old cars we called it the vacuum advance. Glad things worked out well and cheap. That's the best way to go.

REE

12. jlange

jlange New Member

My wife's jeep had a really weird problem that was similar to that. The thing would run fine for awhile and then all of a sudden the rpm's would spike, the car would sputter and then it would die. It wouldn't start for awhile until it cooled down and then it would start again. It was the Crankshaft position sensor. Sounds like yours is fuel system related though, but I just wanted to throw that out in case it persists.

Jason

Matt. 6:33-34

13. John Kelly

John Kelly Member

Spark plug wires baby...

JK

14. Bent Rod

Bent Rod New Member

If the hiccup gets worse under a load,like when you accelerate,or going up a hill.I would bet its plug wires.Especially if it gets worse after the car gets to running temp.:thumb

15. sportsman

sportsman Active Member

New Cars= no carbs, no distributor, maybe not even a COIL! What they DO have are spark plugs and wires AND miles of vacumn lines. Easy to check the plugs and wires. The way to check for vacumn leaks is a can of carb cleaner and "lightly" spray around hose ends. Any change in RPM's indicates a leak. Just cut the end of the hose where it is leaking and reattatch; as long as it's long enough!