(NFR) I'm Moving to Chicago

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by William Wallace, Mar 12, 2009.

1. William Wallace Active Member

Graham Wa
    Ratings: +198 / 0
    Here it is! The worst or the best day a military member could ever have. A good friend of mine Im's me on the computer. Where is Calmulet Harbor, I reply near Chicago, IL are you going there? His reply, no you are!, your orders are on the board. I got up, sat down , got up and almost fell to the ground not breathing. Wanted to yell, CALL 911 but couldn't.

So I will be moving to USCG Station Calumet Harbor, report date June 1st 2009. Over two hundred search and rescue cases, close to 1,000 Law enforcement Boardings a year. Fast paced Coast Guard unit. I will be the Engineering Petty Officer (MKC) at the Unit for four years.

My question is, does anyone have any info in the area of fishing and hunting?

On another note, I want to thank every person I have met or talked to on the site. I will be regulary checking while I am up there. So if anyone has good info please pass it my way. I know I will get some info from the guys there.

William BRAVEHEART Wallace
  2. Islander Steve

Langley, Wa..
    Ratings: +182 / 6
    I don't have any info on Chicago for you other than there is a large lake near by, but I will say "Best of luck to you and thanks for your service".
  3. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,356 / 9
    I will also thank you for your service. I grew up about 3 to 3.5 hours from Chicago in Northeast IN. I knew a lot of places to fish there (non fly gear) but great fishing in some spots. I loved Chicago, there will be much besides work for you to do. I wish I knew about the fishing there, but I have no such information. Best of luck to you.
  4. Jason Decker Active Member

Issaquah, WA
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    my buddy BO on this site is from chicago area and he fishes alot pm me for his info
    BO is his name on wff.com
  5. halcyon Hallelujah, I'm a Bum!!!

Vancouver, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Lake Michigan has great pacific salmon and steelhead fishing plus walleye, and giant brown trout. Some of the finest spring creeks in the world are in the Wisconsin Dalles. There is excellent small and large game hunting in northern Wisconsin and the Upper Pennisula (UP) of Michigan. And there are large and smallmouth bass, panfish, pike and musky. Enjoy.
  6. mike doughty Honorary Member

the uinta's
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    head about 60 or so miles south to racine, wisconsine and fish the root river. good steelheading and some nice browns in there as well. i only fished it once but had a blast.
  7. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,653 / 0
    I believe that Racine is north of Chicago.

So Mike, do you know how to read a compass, or do you just stumble around in the dark.

Jim
  8. Jake H Banned or Parked

Spokane Valley,Wa.
    Head into the North Suburbs of Chicago and find a Lou Malnattis pizza parlor, you'll find out that what you thought was pizza before was a very poor imitation!!
    Good Luck!
  9. mike doughty Honorary Member

the uinta's
    it has been a couple of years so i might be wrong on the north and south part, but the fishing in racine was pretty sweet.
  10. gt Active Member

sequim, WA
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    get ready for C-O-L-D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yesterday it was 13, or so my old buddy reported via email.

the rivers around grayling, MI are the first ones i would choose to explore. used to have great runs of salmon and steelhead. this is one introduction of a foreign species that seems to have taken hold. with as may aelwives as there used to be in the great lakes, apparently a ready made food source was waiting for those anadramous fishes.

pennsylvania is not very far from that location. the spring creeks in that state are famous, read some of the older trouting books. does the yellow britches ring a bell?

and don't overlook the anadramous fishing all along the way. rocky river, ohio is a landmark for'yah.

pheasant hunting is king in southern indiana as well as illinois. getting access could be a major issue which will require due dilligence on your part but it should be possible. the only 'big game' i know about folks hunting are white tail deer and turkey.

be carefull out there, this is not puget sound. the lakes are mean and as nasty as the strait. the difference for you are the sheer number of idiots you will be forced to deal with combined with long and ugly winters. i move to the PNW in 1960 from chgo and never looked back.

all the best to'yah.
  11. Randy Knapp Active Member

Warm Springs, Virginia, USA.
  12. SteelieD Non Member

In a van down by the river
    Life brings strange twists and turns. Embrace each one, you'll be better off for it!

As for the winters, yeah, long and hard. Makes the PNW seem like Palm Springs. Spent a winter in Port Huron, MI. Didn't much care for it at the time, but, in retrospect, a pretty cool experience.

Stay in touch, we'll be looking for some fishing reports!
  13. Erik F. Helm Frozen in the river, speyrod in hand

Wisconsin
    You will be two hours from the Milwaukee River, three hours from the Sheboygan (steelhead) salmon and lake run browns. This is in Wisconsin. You will be close to the kankakee River good smallmouth bass fishing. (Illinois) The harbor will provide good nearshore browns and salmon.
    For trout, you will be about 4 hours from some of the best spring creek fishing in the world in southwest Wisconsin.
    You may want to stay away from the Root river...snagfest and full of goons...combat fishing.

Oh...and you might want to try your hand at muskie fishing.
    Or...there are carp on some of the limestone flats of Lake Michigan. These often run to 20 pounds plus, and will run 250 yards of backing in less than 20 seconds. Midwest bonefish.

Cheers.
    Erik
  14. flyfish_pimp $2 coyote steak

seattle, wa
    Call or visit Andy at Chicago Fly Fishing Outfitters...he will set you up. www.chifly.com
    Plus, when you go visit his store you will be like a few blocks from Sams...the most glorious liquor store in the world!
  15. William Wallace Active Member

Graham Wa
    Ratings: +198 / 0
    I want to thank you all for giving me some great info. i will be calling people and looking at tons of sites.

Again Thank You

William
  16. olypenjeeper Active Member

Astoria Oregon
    Ratings: +26 / 0
    I about had a heart attack when i got orders to cape may nj this time last year. I made MK1 off the may 08 swe and now they're transferring me again ...to the Vigorous out of cape may. trying to save money i guess. I just want back to the NW, i told the detailer i'll take any unit out there 378 ,polar, mfpu, anything. good luck with chicago, i heard the station is not in the greatest neighborhood and there are still bullet holes in the brick from a drive by.
  17. GATOR9 Hey you guys

Yakima, Wa.
    Ratings: +18 / 0
    Good Luck to you. I envy you in a way as your going to be exposed to a whole new fishing adventure. I'm sure you will enjoy it. I too thank you for your service.

Good Luck
  18. mike doughty Honorary Member

the uinta's
    and it could be worse.......you could be in iraq with me not fishing at all.
  19. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,747 / 0
    Mike, keep your head down and come back safe. William, good luck in the windy city, one of my favorite places. You guys have my utmost respect. And some in my generation say the younger generations ain't worth shit. You guys prove them all wrong. Thank you both.
  20. riseform Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +281 / 0
    Chicago is a great city and you'll remember those four years fondly (I spent four years in school there). The only down side is the weather. I remember wondering how mankind ever settled in a place where freezing winters turn into humid summers virtually overnight. I finally realized that most of the residents haven't traveled to know any better. If you could just pick the city up and put it into California's weather it'd be perfect. Weather aside, you'll love the kind hearted people and never have a boring day. Sports, museums, dining, nightlife...heck, even Chicago politics is entertaining. As for fishing, I agree with those suggesting you look into Wisconsin. Good luck and be safe.