(NFR) Inane posts, and what harm they do

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Nailknot, Dec 13, 2005.

1. Nailknot

Nailknot Active Member

Media:
    in·ane
    adj. in·an·er, in·an·est
    One that lacks sense or substance: interrupting with inane comments; angry with my inane roommate.

There must be better places to discuss the Seahawks, bait lurkers into ethics debates, or bring up simple question topics without searching.

It's obvious the folks with answers aren't giving it up anymore.

Where do we go from here?

2. Chris Scoones

Chris Scoones Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Inane posts, and what harm they do

The boards direction / topical theme can be swayed more easily than discussed. Those longing for more could benefit by taking control of the topics rather than leaving it up to others. Topics with substance can control a theme as much as those you've described.

Start by picking a topic and speaking your mind. Good questions invite thoughtful discussion.

Chris

3. Nailknot

Nailknot Active Member

Media:

Action not words- I'm down!

4. John Hicks

John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Media:
    Home Page:

iagree Chris, I have only been a member of this board for the past year but believe me it has helped me grow so much. Here is just a smattering of what I have learned from the people on this board, now if only every fisherman could learn these things:

Use Barbless!
    Use Bob Triggs!
    Don't handle fish with dry hands, if at all.
    Never trust Steve Buckner. ;)
    Mingo is funnier than ****!
    Ways to ask permission to hunt/fish on someones land.
    Dray is proof that black men can fish. ;)
    Old man is proof that old men can't ;)
    I have much to learn and will never know as much as someone who has
    been in this sport one day more than me.

And many many things that I could bore you all with. I think that if the only thing that people on this site talked about was fishing, there wouldn't be anyone on this site. The fact that people talk about their lives away from the water shows that there are many friends on this board. Many of these people have met through this board. I can only speak for myself in saying that I check in with this board at least three times a day and wouldn't like it any other way than just how it is. Well, if there could be a section on what hole, tactics, time of day to fish each river pond stream lake and how to get there that would be great ;)

5. nomlasder

nomlasder Active Member

Media:
    Nicely Said- JH

Mom always told me " If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anthing at all"

6. wet line

wet line New Member

Golly Gee, if all the posts had to be cerebral in content then a lot of us would not be able to say anything at all :eek:

Dave

7. Desmond Wiles

Desmond Wiles Sir Castaline

Media:
    cerebral? you try'n to cornfuss me?

8. Cactus

Cactus Dana Miller

Media:
    Yeah!!! Ya' trying to get rid of me or something?:(

9. Porter

Porter Active Member

See...exactly...we are mates of the Special Ed. Fly Fishing Dept.....Creative yet very disruptive and some are simply disturbed. Many opinions..many views...leave the crack to wide you will get all kind of answers.

10. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    Personally, I see no harm in throwing something on a post without doing any research. Is this merely a repository ( as opposed to a suppository) for information, or is it a community, a forum, public or private?

If it's something you've seen before, don't care to contribute, turn the page.

What I think is saddly missing is the ribbing that used to go on here. Oh, sure OMJ get a lot of ****, but he deserves it...:clown: Love Ya Jim!

I know Mingo, the dastardly bugger, is doing his best to keep the fun meter pegged, but folks, he needs some help!

Let's liven this place up...:thumb:

11. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Roper, did I give you permission to bring my name up. I get enough bull without you reminding everyone about me.

Geez, I'm older than the most of you and still don't get any respect. What's an old man to do.:( :( :( :(

Jimbawling:

12. BigDog2002

BigDog2002 Gone Fishing

It just means fishin' is slow.....

It must either be that fishin' is so good that people in their protection of super secret spots and methods don't want to talk about it, or more likely, it's just not fishin good right now.

We need rain and fish to keep people entertained so we can save ourselves from the endless debates about what's "ethical" in fishing and what's the right way to wish somebody a happy holiday, or whether or not it's OK to carry a firearm while fishing...

Tight Lines to All

--
    BD

13. Desmond Wiles

Desmond Wiles Sir Castaline

Media:
    I respect ya Jim!:beer2:

14. Scott Behn

Scott Behn Active Member

Media:
    I don't know I went out again this morning and still nothing to show for it, except I am now not liking fluoro carbon leaders. Jesus Christ I just farted and nobody to share it with

:p

15. Porter

Porter Active Member

Flouro carbon leaders....I stopped using them...didn't seem to make much difference really. And would actually prefer you not to even verbally share your methane outbursts..I just have a visual of you at your keyboard in a green haze inhaling deeply......not good.

16. MrP

MrP Member

Media:
    A revered Old Man might enjoy a dognut or a Walla Walla devlopenut for a tasty snack.

17. Chris Scoones

Chris Scoones Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Wonderful examples of inane posts. Thank you all for providing them and for hijacking Nailknots thread. :hmmm:

18. Porter

Porter Active Member

Yep...nothing like getting to the point.

19. Nailknot

Nailknot Active Member

Media:
    I'm all for the newbies. The same questions over and over, fine. And the defenders of the below average, I feel your pain. Have at it. Is it really worth it to be a defender of the crap threads that get no thinking responses? Maybe. Point taken. You win. Flood the board with below average. The point that needs to be made clear here- its a loser proposition. You wanna grow, learn, get down with the ****? Then current status needs to change. If continued discussion of strawman gets your rocks off, count me out. I'm tired of this same old. I have fish to catch, flies to tie, projects to do.

Your choice, build something, or be lowest common denominator.

Personally, I'm too busy moving forward to bother with the ghetto posts. It's obvious that most old time contributors feel the same.

So the problem here is, a failure to communicate. Set a standard or let the poodles run wild. Petting the poodles, maybe we need a new board- same old questions and those that love them. Please, let the rest of us move on.

20. wet line

wet line New Member

Nailknot, Though I poked a bit of fun at you tongue in cheek, you are making a good point. There are way too many times lately when someone wants to create a controversy without any substantial facts and or decent well thought out views.

It is easier to become gun shy with starting new threads than to put up with some mindless BS. A year ago people were slammed for not posting exact locations and lately people get slammed for posting exact locations. Ask a simple question and all hell breaks loose. Write an essay about a persons own perceptions of fishing and lines are drawn in the sand and an all out shooting war erupts. There seems to be in general too much willingness to make everything a black and white issue and one must be either for or against and choose up sides. There is a lot of self centered replies that reflect the growing trend of me first and you next if you agree and if you don't then nothing for you.

There are some huge issues to be dealt with in the world of fish right now and this self centered attitude which is often visible here will not help resolve the problems of fish recovery.

Dave