(NFR) Inane posts, and what harm they do

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Nailknot, Dec 13, 2005.

1. sixfinger

sixfinger Ryan Haseman

Media:
    I catch your drift nailknot. I've been reading posts for a year or so and I only have about 40 posts. I dont like to post pointless responses like " way to go dude!" and stuff like that. When I do post I try and search but Im not going to look through a 100 posts when I know someone can take 2 seconds to answer a simple question.I dont blame newbies either. Anyone can access the site, some little kid wanting to learn how to Ffish could be asking a simple but important question, are you going to bash him for it?

I'm more fed up with some of the elitests on the site thinking they're too good for everyone else. They can take their $2500 setup and shove it deleted. Overall I like coming to this site, it gives me something to do when works slow, and it keeps me up to date in the local fishing world. I also think that everyone has been friendly and helpful when ever I have a question.

2. Monk

Monk Redneck

Media:
    It is interesting nailknot, that you are one of the ones who kept telling me to be quiet about various fishing places I have talked about.

Between the zipperlips and the reg nazis, do you really think I wanna take crap and give an honest account of my fishing? I get it done on the river; but I don't feel the need to post 200 trip reports a year. I see this board as a place where like-minded people can talk about fishing and shoot-the-****.

If this is merely a place where we trade money holes, I'm out. Half of the fun is finding your own middle-of-nowhere holes and figuring *** out on your own.

I don't come here to find out where to fish or what ugly flies to tie. I just want to kill the time in-betweenfishing trips.

3. Porter

Porter Active Member

Really? You are in need evidently? (JK)

4. Monk

Monk Redneck

Media:
    evidently not:thumb:

5. Porter

Porter Active Member

It sucks that I can't post those faces......but I figured you got it.

6. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Media:
    Home Page:
    I feel that Nailknot has a good point on many levels. If we thought about some of our words before we posted them, it would maximize quality here.

I do also believe that there should be some room for a little creative fun. One very good aspect of this community is the friendships. And some friendships can endure a bit more ribbing than others. But the personalities do emerge with the fun connections between friends here. So some of that personal stuff is just part in parcel of the culture. It just depends on what kind of personal stuff we are talking about. As to a little banter once in a while between friends here; I think some of it is actually good.

For instance:

I think it would be boring to have Old Man Jim give up his quest for 100,000 + posts before he dies, or someone else kills him, whichever comes first.:rofl:

I think it would be tragic if Davey ever got truly serious, with or without the donuts and martinis. :p

And where would we be here if it weren't for the occasional (successful) fishing reports, and all of the historionic, superior, reactionary, thin-skinned, whining, niggling accustions that follow. If it werent so hilarious it would be sad.

It would also be helpful if people remembered that these forums are not a "private chat room". And that personally dominating any topic, even one they may have opened themself, ( NFR Posts are bad in this respect ), just shuts everyone else out.

Staying "on topic" too is a better way here. Ie: Just look where some guys have been taking this thread!:mad:

Here's a tremendous intellectual challenge for you:

Try to say it without swearing, cursing or attacking. Since this is an open internet forum we do have childeren visiting us. Didnt we invite a whole Issaquah classroom full of them into our community when we sponsored them not long ago? How about a little respect for others. (well, except Roper that is...:rolleyes: )

7. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    Well, there may not be much respect after this, but here goes...

How many times are we gonna flip flop back and forth about content? One day it's fly fishing only, next day it's NFR, tommorrow it'll be some poll about who knows what. Eveyone has an opinion at one time or another about what we should or should not discuss. This used to be a relief from work to jump in and be social, now it's starting to sound like it does here at work, and since it's a family forum I can't use the adjectives that come to mind.

Adios...

8. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Media:
    Home Page:
    " It's a joke son! " :p

9. John Hicks

John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Media:
    Home Page:
    Wow! I really think that everyone is taking this thing way to serious. I couldn't help if but think while I was reading through this thread, that I was watching days of our lives or one life to live. If find myself glued to the couch between bonbons and a sparsly tied fly flipping through these threads thinking. "gee I wish I could be as handsom and whitty as Bob" Bob, you are right when it comes to the foul language and nailknot you are right in many respects. But seriously, this is after all just a side note for all of us. All of us have lives away from this forum and I hope this forum could just be a place for a little escape.

10. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    This always seems to happen when ever a thread gets too long. People at each others throats. If we were all in the same room talking about this stuff only about half of what was said would be in written form.

But here on the web we can all express outselves as we see fit. And some like to talk alot and some do not. Me I like to talk about fishing and the rest of the junk I try to stay out of.

But if we all stayed to what was asked, this could come to be know as a boring web site.. I go to several others but this is a good clean place to read about flyfishing. If it would just stay with the subject matter"Washington Fly Fishing".

This is not a sports page this is a flyfishing page. If you want to talk about sports go find a chat room and do it there.

I'd better shut up now or this could go on forever.

Jim

11. sixfinger

sixfinger Ryan Haseman

Media:
    I apoligize for my previous statement. Although elitists really frost my cookie, it's not really relevant. Also after reading it again I realized just how stupid the post was, I went off about people bashing a little kid that might be on the site and then write something that could be offensive. Duh, sometimes I'm a bonehead.

I do like the more personal posts on here too. I agree with Bob, if were just reports and technical stuff all the time I dont think it would be so interesting.
    :beer2:

12. Nailknot

Nailknot Active Member

Media:
    Monk- you misunderstood my intentions. I'm not asking for fish reports.

I'm simply noting the decline in informative dialog and resulting decline in posts by the more articulate posters.

13. Luv2flyfish

Luv2flyfish Another Flyfisherman

Hello All,

I just want to add a little to this topic.....inane or not. Am I still free to do that?? I have been a member of this board for, I dont know for sure....Almost 4 years. (relax.....I know it says member since Feb 03 bit we did migrate boards and I beleive almost everyone's dates got reset) Started researching the fishing in WA long before Uncle Sugar sent me out here (by my choice so I am not complaining). I look at this board many times a day and have since I became a member).

Here is my point.......and its a SHOCKER!!! THIS HAPPENS EVERY YEAR ABOUT TWICE!!!

It first happens, AFTER Steelhead season closes and before any trout fishing (IE: The Lakes) kicks off in the spring. Everyone on here is a line slingin, fly tyin, Fish Nerd.....like it or not. Then......Everyone gets their perverbial panties in a wad again after the summer/fall steelhead and salmon peter out....before the Big Dawgs come to play.

We know its not the prime time (unless your a gear fisherman headed to the Bogey) Please no one take offense if you fish a little gear here and there. The fishing reports taper off and the NFR's spike, etc.

Mark my words.....In another Month........the mood of the board and its regulars will change ONCE AGAIN as the fish are back in, we're out swinging and nymphing for our beloved fish and occasionally catching some. Crap, I havent been fishing since september.......and Yeah, I posted some "inane" posts. Heck, I am posting another one right now. Again, I thought I was allowed to do that on here, as a member and fellow fly fisherman. Ya know what.....I am going to continue to post the occasional useless post, and talk a little **** about Mr. Triggs (Cuz he knows I am joking) Relax Folks.....It'll be allright. The fish are on thier way.....we will all be happy and laughing once again.

Jay