( NFR ) Just curious what everyone does for a living??

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Roper, Dec 11, 2003.

1. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

Media:
    I'm currently in grad school but I was a NOAA salmon biologist in Seattle for three years and plan to continue in Fed fisheries work when I'm done. I loved being on the front lines of salmon science in Seattle and the schedule was great, but I'm back in school now because a GS-7 biologist can't buy a house in Seattle. I have no idea where I'll get work when I'm done (could be anywhere from Seattle to Ireland) and I have another 4-5 years of school ahead of me . . . which is all part of the adventure. A PhD in fisheries/fish ecology can get work worldwide.

Rod:beer2

2. saltchuck

saltchuck New Member

Patrick - I started out working in fisheries management during and then after college. Became idealistic after a couple of years and then gave that up in favor of managing a health club (OK - it's a stretch but there are some similarities LOL). After 9 years at the health club, I tested for and joined the Fire Dept (at the ripe old age of 33) where I've been for the past 12+ years. Currently I have an administrative position by choice because the schedule (4-10s)allows me a three day weekend to spend time with my family and to fish at a fairly regular interval.

Bottom line = Given a choice, I would either 1)work at a job I love or 2) work at a job that allows me to do the things I love to do. Right now I get 99% of option #2 fulfilled and also manage to still enjoy the work I do.

If you feel stumped about what to do or what direction you should head, try visualizing where you would like to see yourself in 10, 20, or 30 years and what it will take to get you there. Keep in mind, some people who focus on the goal, forget to live for the present. How will family, fishing, etc fit into your life while you reach for your goal?

Sorry for the long-winded reply. I just hate to see someone go through the kind of change you are planning to go through without really being sure of the next step. That's what I did when I went to the health club. It was a good experience but looking back if I had really thought about it, I would have skipped that experience completely and gone right to where I am now.

Best of luck and let us know if you need help getting to where you want to be. We seem to be a pretty diverse lot and someone should be able to help steer you towards your goal.:thumb

3. Luv2flyfish

Luv2flyfish Another Flyfisherman

I draw a camouflaged pay check. There are many Pros and Cons. Sometimes more Cons than Pros, but it aint a bad living.

Allthough, I am considering changing careers as well since I dig washington. I might just have to stick around here for a little while.....or until there are NO more rivers with steelhead in them and/or I am no longer allowed by law to pursue them with a fly.

4. Jason

Jason Trout Bum

Media:
    I am a computer bum. I sit in my cubicle for 8 hours a day and drive 2 hours a day to sit in my cube.

Work as an AutoCAD drafter for a consulting engineering firm.

Started out wanting to be a Landscape Architect, but didn't want to be in school for 6 years.

Still not sure if this is where I want to be until I retire.

:beer2

5. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Well I guess you could say I have the best job in the world but the pay really sucks,benefits also suck,and can just about fish any day I want to. Being retired has its perks.:D

Jim

6. Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice Senior Member

Media:
    ( NFR ) Just curious what everyone does for a livin...

I was in the Navy for 7 years and was a Jet engine mechanic, Anti-submarine warfare operator and Search and rescue, then I went to work for Boeing for a few years and did Structual Mechanics for the 747-400 program in Everett. then I went back to school for information Technology(to get more money)and now I am an Applications Consultant for US bank(yuck!) and speaking from someone who knows I have made a little and I have made alot! and If I could back to making a little to get some of my life back I would do it ! I was just thinking about maybe looking into being a postman. ! LOL:smokin :smokin

7. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Media:
    U-Dub dropout that managed to return after over 10 years and earn two BA's by working as a Merchant Seaman. Sadly, though maybe not so sadly, I'm still working on the ships. After dropping out back in the early 80's, I started working for NOAA on their ships. After 5 years, I quit to join a maritime union. That allowed me to return to school, starting back at Seattle Central and then transferring to the U-Dub. I graduated with the Class of 2000 with degrees in Teaching English and Comparative History of Ideas. I've since switched to another maritime union, the Sailors' Union of the Pacific, and am very happy with that move. It's very comforting to be with an organization that isn't corrupt--especially in these times. I'm still hoping to score a job on one of those ships at Diego Garcia that my union is contracted to. That island has quite the bonefish population, and I've still to string my 8wt with the tropical flyline I got from Wildram007.

As far as recommendations about the job, I'd have to say that it isn't for everyone. The travelling by ship is pretty cool, though the airport scene sucks whenever I have to fly out to a job. The work can be quite dangerous, but people learn to look out for the other person's back. The work can also be rather strenuous, but one gets used to it. The pay is neither a lot nor a pittance. It always seems to be enough--thank God! Meanwhile, it does give me a lot of free time to fish when I'm at home, outside of the obligations of home and family. At the same time, there never seems to be enough time for everything (why is that?). If you are married, have children, or otherwise tied to a needy person, this is not the line of work for you. I consider myself extremely fortunate to be with a woman is independent when I am gone and very loving and understanding when I'm home.

In the end, if you were to ask me in person about my job and the pros and cons, I probably just say, "It's alright, but it ain't what it's all cracked up to be."

8. three_tree

three_tree Member

I'm a grad student. No money in it, obviously, but the schedule can be flexible. It just depends on your personal priorities and how much your advisor is bugging you :+ Not exactly sure what opportunities I will have when the time comes, so I may be asking everyone this question again later!

What a great topic!! :beer2

9. Hormel

Hormel Member

Architect. It's not all about fancy designs and high pay. I spend my time writing memos, marketing, and putting out fires. Most of the day is spent in front of a computer which allows me to follow this site and wish I could take a day off to fish.

Lots of schooling and low initial pay. For me it is rewarding because we design affordable housing and it pays well enough to have my wife work part-time and stay home with the kids.

>John<

Mike Brady lived in a house designed for 9 people that had only three bedrooms, and Alice lived in the laundry room.

10. Oneweight

Oneweight Member

Media:
    One of life's greatest questions....

Personally, I'm in outside sales for an enterprise software company out of San Jose. I too, wrestle with what the hell am I doing almost every three months. (must be quarter end!)

But, the pay is good, when I work hard I'm able to award myself with some time off to hit the rivers and most importantly I get to hang out with my daughter and wife.

Find something you enjoy, pour yourself into it, make a ton of dough................and then call me and I'll come work for you!

good luck man :thumb

11. hikepat

hikepat Patrick

Media:
    Warehouse manager for a hardware whole sale company.Its 50 hour plus work weeks but 3 weeks a vacation a year & weekends free. Pay is ok but not no 6 figures, or even close, but the stress level is not high either. Able to fish after work weekdays when sun is out till at least 8:30 PM otherwise on weekends is when I put my time on the water.
    Took me 15 years to get where I am in my company. Had to work for company for lots of years at $6-9 per hour first.
    Before that worked Grocery for $12 so I have gone through a major pay cut so far once in my life. It really took some getting use to but you do get through it. Beside I got tired of never knowing what days I would be working from week to week. Now I can plan weekend trips months in advance.

12. fishtech

fishtech God, I love fishing!

I am a Vice President of a Technical College. Have you thought about teaching what you have been learning for the last 10 years? Also, as you consider a career change, do not overlook a two-year degree. I have all of the post graduate degrees - a couple of masters and a doctorate -- but would suggest looking at adding value to what you already have. Sometimes a shorter, career focused program is best.

What ever you do, find what you are passionate about and go for it! You are not alone.

My 2 cents worth.

13. speycast

speycast Guest

Hey Patrick,

I am a semi-retired :rofl: federal agent, 7 years law enforcement, and 6 1/2 years working as an adjudicator for the Veterans Administration.

I am fortunate enough to have met a lady, whom I married, who agreed that I should leave law enforcement and fish! I think for peace of mind and as well as we are expecting our first child in April.

At first I missed the weapon :bawling:, the badge and the authority that came with all those things. Now, I don't even think about them. I think about fishies!!!!!!

I AM SPOILED ROTTEN! :dunno:

Should we ever hook up I'll fill you in on the details.

this is speycast, one lucky son of a gun! :beer1:

14. Jason

Jason Trout Bum

Media:
    Sounds like a Tech college. That's what I did. Actually thought about teaching where I went. Still might.

15. Joe Smolt

Joe Smolt Member

Media:
    Ph.D. in Chemistry, which meant I went to school for a real long time to learn a lot about one subject until ultimately I learned everything about nothing.

But seriously, there is a book people often use in your situation called What Color Is Your Parachute. This book helps you better understand yourself and the types of things you like to do without calling out a specific career option. You can then find the fit regardless of the job title. This is a popular book that often comes as a new issue every few years. This book is really desgined to help folks who are looking to change career paths. I am sure a local library would have one. It wasn't necessarily for me. I know who I am. I'm a geek through and through, and I am OK with that.

Joe

16. Florian Leischner

Florian Leischner o_clarki

Media:

I am a salmon biologist. I don't manage harvest or hatcheries, but rather plant trees, throw fish carcasses and wood into rivers, and take out man-made dikes, levees and culverts.
    As a kid I always loved playing in creeks, lakes, and puddles and now I get paid doing it. :thumb
    The pay is ok, but mostly I love what I am doing and I learn something new about salmon every day.

17. TomB

TomB Active Member

freshmen undergrad- still haven't fully come to understand that someday not too far off I will have to be a bread winner for myself.
    -Thomas

18. Backyard

Backyard SANCHO!

Media:
    i sell stuff to kids that break their bones.

skate/snowboard shop owner by day evil scientist by night.

actually i don't like it much and want to open a bar.

19. Coho

Coho Member

Media:
    Pat:

I started off college life back in 1977 as an 18 year old flyfishing obsessed undergrad, enrolled in the UW school of Fisheries. Fortunately, (or perhaps unfortunately) a counselor showed me the starting salary for BS and MS in Fisheries Biology, which convinced me to make fyfishing an avocation and not a vocation.

Fast forward through several years as a triathlon coach and then a commercial real estate broker, and now I am a financial advisor and shareholder in a wealth management firm on the Eastside.

I feel very fortunate because the job fits my personal and intellectual skills well, and the relationships I create with my clients are great, often to the point where they become good friends. Not a picnic, still put in lots of long days, and the initial start-up, as it is for any new business, was rather long and painful.

I have taken my flyfishing full circle from my college days as I frequently take clients and potential clients flyfishing in my drift boat, to the point where it is an integral part of my business.

TO echo some of the other thoughts - find what you love to do, and balance that with the financial needs of your family. Best wishes!

Coho

Hope you will have a fishing experience like the one in Luke Chapter 5:6-11 ! :)

20. FISHFACE

FISHFACE New Member

:thumb I have been a fire fighter for the city of Bellingham for 30 yrs.Been one hell of a job.
    Spose I should retire but then what would I do.
    Fish? Tie flies? or Tie flies and fish.