( NFR ) Just curious what everyone does for a living??

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Roper, Dec 11, 2003.

1. jabseattle

jabseattle jabs

Media:
    ( NFR ) Just curious what everyone does for a livin...

Very good question.

It seems I can’t make heads or tails on where I want to do as of lately. Couple years back I ran (basically a NW Manager) a third party collection agency (yes I started in the industry being a brutal collector myself fits my personality to a T) that finally went out of business (no fault of how it was run but majority holders…hmmm General E****…. decided it was not as profitable as they would like and cut their ties). Still resenting this situation, especially the pay.

Anyways since I never finished school decided to go back for IT classes, but couldn’t really see myself working my way from bottom to top again. So I went back on track to finish some kind of degree. I like numbers so I’m trying to complete an Accounting degree, but I still have time to change my mind.

Right now I’m a supervisor of the credit/collection division of a finance department for the world’s largest digital imagery provider company that is based out of Seattle.

I never thought I had passion for pictures, but it does wear on you. Especially some of pictures that I see posted on this site. I always wanted to start my own gym or something along that line. You never know it still may happen. What ever you decide many people I talk to ask me the same thing. What is your passion?

A couple years back I was set on becoming a firefighter. Today I actually looked into when the next tests are set to begin. Good luck bro

2. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

Patrick, I did 44 years in the metal trades, machinist then plastic injection mold maker, tool and die maker and the last 18 years as a prototype model maker for an R&D lab. I fished everything I could reach during those years and often took a day off without pay if the hatch demanded. I lived on 80% of what I made, banked the rest, invested, scrimped and did with less to retire early. My three years of retirement have been the best three years of my life-no contest. The best advice I can give in retrospect is to avoid debt-it is a form of imprisonment that inhibits opportunity. Forego all the consumer crap that needs to be updated constantly, the mega-house, the expensive cars and all the keeping-up-with-the-Jones' mentality that we are all supposed to buy into. Look for a job that allows you to do things rather than just buy things. Time spent with friends and family in beautiful places will ultimatly be worth more than consumer goods that will be sold in a yard sale in a few years for pennies on the dollar.
    You have the band width to pull this off successfully. Just take your time and keep your eyes open, eventually the right opportunity will come along and you will be ready for it. Take good care, Ive

3. rockymountain_brown

rockymountain_brown Senore Member

Media:

I am what almost all of you had been at my age, a college fly-fishing bum. I reside in Montana, go to school 3 days a week and fish 3 days a week. What a great life. Almost have a degree in bus. management. Not sure if I want to go on to graduate school.
    There sure are a lot of computer oriented people that are members!
    RMB

4. troutman101

troutman101 Member

Media:

I am the sales and maketing manager for an outdoor manufacturer in Seattle.

I also design new innovative things. It is fun.:thumb

5. Mike Etgen

Mike Etgen Not Quite A Luddite, But Can See One From Here

Media:

New River Mike

Great question, and some really great and thought-provoking answers.

I started out after college as a teacher and baseball coach, and realized after three years that my idealism had been stripped away by the harsh realities of public education. Eventually stumbled my way into manufacturing, doing a variety of things over several years that resulted in my eventually "specializing" in procurement and materials management. There's still a part of me that likes that action! Decided to get to the other side of the desk, so to speak,and spent three years representing a manufacturer of environmentally specialized electrical products, working from home and enjoying the autonomy and travel.

When I came out west I acted on the fact that I still missed the younger folks and ended up working in a runaway shelter/crisis center dealing with at-risk adolescents and their parents/caregivers.

Now I've moved in support of the wife's career and I'm looking for more of the same over here. Or not. I'm pretty open to different or new or the same, as I don't think of myself as a worker first anymore. And, fortunately, in the shorter term, my wife's salary keeps us afloat.

As a backdrop, I leveraged somethig that started as a community service - mediation - to where I contract for a private firm providing this service in special education disputes. It draws from a lot of my experiences/stengths and I'm good at it, but it's sporadic at this time. I also umpire some baseball.

Next week, next month, I may have a different answer, but today the best I could offer is that if you're blessed with a wife who's financially and emotionally supportive, take some chances, try on some short-term or part-time things and try to turn the idea of work into play. Being a stay-at-home parent is a more than honorable choice for anyone; if we still had kids at home I could do that.

Don't discount volunteer opportunities that might give you a glimpse of some new things, especially if you have a bent towards human services. There's a need everywhere for Court-Appointed Special Advocates (CASA's) who represent state-dependent youth in dependency court. That's just ONE I'm familiar with. In fact, there's all kinds of needs out there once you start asking around.

Sorry to be long-winded, and it's obvious there's many, many takes on this subject.

Good for you for asking the question out loud!

:thumb

6. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    Ha-ha-ha, that's too funny. You run a bar...what inventory??? Did I have an inventory??? Musta drank it all up. I could be your barkeep, no problem with me sneaking drinks...

Roper,

Good things come to those who wade...

7. Tightline

Tightline Brian Perry

Media:
    I did a major restart on my life after a two year vacation on Maui. I did not know what I wanted to do out of school, so I chilled :) Now I have a focus, and a plan. The road has been tough, but there is a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow...I'm going to get my share, and enjoy the road getting to it. I am in television advertising sales. Client memories will be built on the river ;)

~B:beer2

8. Jim Wheeler

Jim Wheeler Full time single dad and pram builder

Home Page:
    I guess I have the dream job. Live in the Okanogan about 20 miles out of Tonasket and build and design fly fishing, dog training and hunting prams that get shipped all over the world. We thought the location would make a difference and it did. We've had more people come to pick up their prams here this year alone than we ever had in Bremerton. After about 15 years in the banking industry and being "downsized" out of three banks a change was in order. So, we started small using ready cash as we went along. Now, over 10 years later Shauneen, myself and our 9 year old daughter live in paradise and absolutely love what we do and the people we meet.

Jim Wheeler
    Spring Creek Prams

9. eagleman

eagleman New Member

This is a very interesting thread! I spent over 20 years in home improvement store and corporate management. For the last 8 years or so have established a residential real estate business in the greater Seattle/Eastside area.

If I want to to fishing, I just tell my assistant that I'm going to go walk some land (little does she know I intend to walk the river!).

Greg Perry

10. Jay Allyn

Jay Allyn The Poor-Student Fly Fisher

Media:
    I'm a full time High Scholl student. I'm 16 and about to get my license, ya!!!! I'm currently planning on becoming a fisheries bioigist in Washington and want to go to the UW or WWU.

11. wet line

wet line New Member

I have owned my own residential remodeling buisness for 20 years now. I am a one man show cause I hated hearing employees bitching and whining and wanting a draw on the work they hadn't done.
    To be self employed requires a certain amount of lunacy! You get to pay higher insurance premiums, higher taxes, like 15% social security, everyone you work for is your boss, the phone can ring at the strangest times and not ring at all for way too long of periods of time. Then there are the people you couldn't satisfy if you give the job to them, just did one of those, and there are the times when you wonder if your reserve accounts are going to last until the next check. Then there is the book keeping and accounting and going out and chasing jobs that makes no money and requires a lot of time. There is no unemployment nor state industrial to cover your butt. You get to learn a new type of humility and a new type of honesty and find out if you are really who you think you are!
    For me I love to work my tools and create someone elses dream. It is a challenge to understand their wishes and rewarding to be able to decipher what they want and provide it. I will never be rich, I don't have people out there working and making me money, but I am satisfied. Of course I don't have great physical needs and I don't need to put on a show. I owe no money and only have to come up with monthly expenses to live. No debt is a real key to having your own show. If you don't owe any money it is really hard to go bankrupt.
    The key is to find a nitch you can fill and be happy in! Don't owe anyone a dime. Be willing to live at a low key pace and buy only what you really can afford. Keep a good reserve in the bank. And foremost believe in self and be honest and treat everyone how you would want to be treated. This is how I do it and it works for me! I can also tell you how to go out and high roll it but that is a very disgusting concept in my opinion. If you have more questions or want to bounce something off me e-mail me and I will tell you what I know and or help you get pointed. I have helped some get started and they are still in buis. and in turn helped some decide they didn't want to accept the risks and went back to old jobs as employees. The only security you have being self employed is the confidence you have in self to provide what you must provide! I have had some mighty thin soup and have had some wonderful banguets.

Dave

12. Bugthrower

Bugthrower Willits

Media:
    Home Page:
    Managed a fishing store for the last 8 years, went tits this Sept. I aspire to be a fishing bum(or just a bum with no particular designation) Wife is in her last semester of law school. Oh, I have made some $$ from photography and from guiding as well although I would hardly qualify it as "making a living".

13. Bugthrower

Bugthrower Willits

Media:
    Home Page:
    Deleted message

No message

14. topflight121

topflight121 Josh Pearson

Well, I work in small manufacturing division. I have seen 8 pay cuts over the last 3 years, don't necessarily like what I do, But I am still following my dream.
    I have my two associate degrees, a BA, and my MPA. Hopefully by the time this post disappears from the board, my dream company will have offered me a job(its actually close)
    Even though my present career path is not in my long term plans, I really can't/shouldn't complain. It has brought me back to where I grew up, it puts food on the table for the family, and it gives me just enough extra to buy a few flys for fishing. I will never be rich, but when I walk in the door and see my family, I am wealthy beyond belief.

topflight121

15. pwoens

pwoens Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I personally am at one of those forks in life where I am contemplating a career change. I am getting a bit tired of sitting behind the computer, and working on them, every day. I have been in the computer industry for nearly 10 years and am getting a bit spent. Im thinking about going back to school for another BA or possibly my masters. At the same time, I am contemplating a different field or even starting my own business???? What does everyone else do for employment and would you recommend it, pros cons, etc...??

~Patrick ><>

16. kal

kal Member

I drifted around awhile after graduting with BA's in Political Science and Criminal Justice. Decided that I never wanted to use either of those degrees so I went back and got a teaching degree. I have been an elementary school teacher for 4 years now. I can't imagine doing anything else.

17. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Deleted message

Well, MB is a self employed manufacturers' representative. Started back in 1976 when I joined my father (since passed away). Sell some small stuff, motor brakes and some big - like gates and hoists for the hydro plants around the northwest - Rocky Reach, Ice Harbor dams, that sort of stuff. The Ice Harbor stuff was kind of interesting since is was for the emergency fish by-pass pumping system - some BIG pumps. Would rather fish full time but I still like the people, projects and work. I'll always have a job, but, perhaps, no money.

18. Sparse Grey Hackle

Sparse Grey Hackle Member

Media:

I work for a large insurance company as a claims adjuster. I settle people's Bodily Injury (aka Personal Injury) claims and make liability decisions. If you’re my insured, you think I’m great (because I clean up the mess you've created). If you’re not, your opinions about me could go either way. The job is salary, so I work about 50-55 hours per week and get 2 weeks paid vacation. However, I have a flexible schedule and can fish any day I want to in my territory. My territory is from Walla Walla to Moses Lake to Republic and over to Winthrop and over to Snoqualmie Pass to Yakima and back to Walla Walla. So, I’m basically covering most of Eastern WA. I like to set early or late appointments so that I can fish during the day. I like my territory, the weather, and the depressed economy that allows me to buy more for my money. These things are fun for right now..

I’m pretty sure that I’ve picked a dead-end career path. My intent out of college in 1999 was to get into law school and practice Agricultural Law. I’m doing legal-related work, but not sure that Personal Injury law is my “calling.” If I were to work in the insurance industry for the rest of my like, I’d have at least one divorce, like everyone else in my profession. Personal Injury is a lot of work, and a lot of negativity. Though the company offers good benefits, the monthly paycheck is enough to swallow my pride and wonder, what the hell am I doing here?

Prior to claims, I did a 2 year legal internship for an attorney in Seattle. He had a simple practice, a good wife, and a decent home in the middle of Queen Anne and after 20 years of working 6 days a week as a sole-practitioner, he now has a condo in Palm Springs that he visits each month and will retire to. He is no Perkins-Coie (huge west Coast law firm), nor did he want to be. He is an honest man, and he set an example of a fine attorney. Since that internship, I have first hand exposure to the day-to-day workings of Personal Injury law firms, and fully believe that these attorneys are too smart to be doing this kind of work. Everyday, I see Personal Injury attorneys who take really weak cases because they're in debt from the 100K loan from law school they’re still paying off.

I have always had this dream of being a small to medium-sized town Mayor (like the evil one on Patrick Swayze's "Roadhouse")}(. However, in order to become a “fan favorite” to win an election, I have to be successful first. Nobody votes for “Joe Schmoe.” That’s a problem. Politician don’t make jack shit for pay, and most live off of the income earned through their prior jobs. I need some direction and think about this often.

Sparse

Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by.
    (Sir Izaak Walton)

19. TerryD

TerryD New Member

Ok, I'll throw my hat into the ring.

I am currently working for the primary cable company in Washington as a Director in the government affairs arena. Before that I worked as a Planner for a Indian tribe in Oregon.

I can honestly say that I enjoy what I do, it is something different everyday and since cable is "cool again" it is fun.

Terry D. :thumb

20. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Media:
    No way, Roper! Backyard could always create his own "special blend" by saving all the slop that comes off the taps. Actaully, I know of a couple of people who've admitted to me that making money off a bar is a no-brainer. The mark up on beer and wine is so huge that the hardest thing is to not f**k it up. Does that sound up Backyard's alley?