( NFR ) Just curious what everyone does for a living??

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Roper, Dec 11, 2003.

1. MontanaStone

MontanaStone New Member

Greetings all,
    I worked as a newspaper photographer for years. Now I'm an editor and renjoy it, but it can be a grind. My best job ever was working as a field archaeologist for the Forest Service. Hiking all day in the woods was great. Making peanuts was not. I've been considering working on a Masters in environmental science. Jumping out of a career and back into school with a family and a mortgage sounds sketchy though. We'll see.

-MontanaStone

2. bigfun4me

bigfun4me Team Infidel

I was an outdoor equipment rep for six years. I was able to work with the largest fishing equipment manufacturers in the market. I suppose to some it sounds like the dream job. The reality is, the job eliminated most of my fishing and turned into a 70 hour a week monster. I decided to go back into financing real estate and now have more time, income and job satisfaction. Good question guy's.

3. mike doughty

mike doughty Honorary Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    air force for 15 years and in 5 i can retire. if you're over 30 forget about joining. the travel is nice though, as you already no i'm living in korea now for a year.

4. ibn

ibn Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    nooksack34,

Is there any fishing going on over there?

-I

5. msteudel

msteudel Mark Steudel

Media:
    Home Page:
    Unix admin for a software company. It's never boring and you are constantly challendged, but sometimes it's a pain in the ass when everything seems to break on your on call shift.

6. mike doughty

Media:
    Home Page:
    i have been in the air force for 15 years and can retire in 5. if you're at least 30 then it's to late to sign up. the travel is nice as you already know i am living in korea for a year.

7. I fear no beer

I fear no beer Member formerly known as Mark

Media:
    I'm an emergency room nurse, have been for 18 years. In that time I've spent 3 years as firefighter and 3 as a flight nurse. It's a great gig if you like people. The bennies are good and I get 7 days off ever other week.

I fear no beer

8. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Well, I have two jobs. Main job is a UPS Driver. Awesome job, awesome benefits, but extremly hard on body. Best to stay off porches, they collapse and screw up your body. LOL. Actually, been doing it for 15 years. I had NO injuries until this one, and may be a career ender. So may be in same boat as you here shortly. Been nice being home and being a Daddy. But, will see if I can go back to driving, if not, will see if I can get another job inside UPS. If not, then retraining. But halfway to retirement, don't want to pull away now.
    Second job, which is purely a side job, is professional fly tyer/fly tying supplies sales. Just something I do on the side. Being off hurt hasn't helped me at all. I usually do some huge restocks during the year. But, the $$$ I normally save off to the side to restock has had to be used to pay bills. So, has crimped me a bit. But normally love it. Especially the flytying aspect when customers come back for seconds, thirds, more and send pictures. Always gratifying.

9. scottr

scottr Active Member

Media:
    A career change can be a great thing. It was for me

I worked in the snowboard industry for seven years and thought that I had found my lifes work. I worked in athlete management/marketing. I loved snowboarding and got paid to babysit adults inplaces like Whistler, Vail, Nagano, etc. This led to wanting to become a photographer travelling the world taking the pictures you see in the snowboard and Ski magazines. I did it for a while and had some photos that got published but the income was small and the expenses large. Out of the blue a corporate recruiter called me about a job at a local game publishing company. Three and a half years later I am still there as a Brand Manager. I am currently managing the development of a new game and love my job. The pay is good, the people are great, I have learned so much. I get enough free time to fly fish some and my wife can stay home with our son.

10. bhudda

bhudda heffe'

Media:
    ( NFR ) Just curious what everyone does for a livin...

schmokin'reel!!!!

i think i have just about the best job a single guy could have. im a Hairstylist- :p i run my hands thru females hair allday. IM STRAIGHT also,just to clear that up with anybody. ive been doing hair for the last 8 years and have owned my own salon for the last 5 years in seattle. I love the friendships i have built and the connections you get from networking with other business owners, barters, perks, you name it. Pat- i get to fish just about anytime i want, and most of my clients are well aware of my sickness for fishing, so they work with me. the pay is good and the time is yours, it just depends on how much you wanna make. im in one of those jobs that "you only make what your hands can do" . i would really love to become a photographer for my next career. just one more thing- heres my fork in the road- sunvalley idaho is opening a brand new AVEDA concept salon and is looking to hire 3 full time hairstylist from seattle. they'll dump a mil.$ easily into that and im sure will be the fattest salon there , can make mad cash, once talked to a lady there and she said she would rather fly to BeverlyHills and get her hair done there, she'd get in quicker and cost less, haha . HMMMM.. everything i have built here means nothing there. no more owner, just new guy on the block ,that is tearing me apart :dunno :reallymad :) :) i can see it now- (receptionist)"Oh, im sorry Mrs.Smith, Jeffrey will be late for your appt., he's into a JT right now on the Lost river ,can we reschedule?;( do what ya like , the humpty dance, oh sorry. I really mean if you now what your worth and your not getting it, then you be the boss! laters bhudda

11. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

Depending on my mood of the moment, when I'm asked what I do, I either reply that I'm retired, or that I'm a swing trader.
    Both are true, but "retired" is self-explanatory, while "swing trader" takes explaining, which I'm not always eager to do. Swing trading means that I buy and sell stocks for profits over a period of, usually, several days to several weeks, working on my home computer. I'm not a day-trader; who can fish when they're glued to a computer screen all day? And I'm not a long-term investor, who could do nothing about the market's swoon from March 2000 until recently except endure the pain and dream of retiring, someday. I spend a very few hours a week selecting stocks with the assistance of a proprietary screening program, checking the daily results, and selling when the short-term advance or retreat is over. I support myself on my month-by-month profits.
    I don't make a lot, but then, I didn't have a lot of investment capital to start with. My house and vehicles are paid for. In the last two years, I've flung flies in Virginia, Oregon, Idaho, Colorado, B.C., and the wonderful waters around the Fourth Corner of Washington. I own two suits and about thirty fly rods. A man's got to have his priorities straight.

12. jcskagit

jcskagit New Member

I was a musician for 15 years, working a day job (or two) around the music. About 7 years into that,I began driving truck. Which,if you take some sort of camera along,is kind of like being a professional tourist, when you go OTR. (over the road) I preferred log trucks. Way more fun!
    After 15 years of driving I woke up to my new wife of 2 months asking me if I wanted to move to Washington. I ask, "what did I ever do to you?" As is turned out, she had mentioned to her warehouse manager that she would move to Burlington to his new building and continue her job for him of the last 9 years as his inventory auditor, if there was a full time job for her husband. He said yes.
    I had hit the top of my food chain as a driver. 2 million miles without a ticket or an accident, I had a retirement job, top dollar & sleep in your own bed. I had concidered owning my own truck, but there is a certain peace when you can leave note for the mechanic at the end of the day & it's good to go tomorrow and, you got to sleep instead of work on it.
    So we left S:confused:regon and bought a house in Concrete.
    I was promoted to hourly supervisor after 10 months, & will be with the company 4 years in June, 40 hr week pays the same as 60 hours trucking. W/ medical, dental, vision, paid vacation,( I'll have 3 weeks at 5 years.. The wife has 5 weeks at 15 years)401 contribution, profit & gain sharing. Bonus checks? Stocks!
    I bought a sled for transportation on the Skagit. Don't fish out of it much, but it get's me between holding water.
    :smokin Jeff

13. Dan

Dan Member

Patrick,

Sounds like you are at an interesting point in life. Not necessarily a comfortable time, because things are a bit uncertain, but an exciting time because you are considering other possibilities. I'm 52 years old and have been in that place three times in my life. The first was in my late 20's when I was in the Army, but teaching at Purdue in West Lafayette. The second time was in my early 40's, having just retired from the Army. The third time is now. In my 20's, I considered leaving the Army and going to grad school full-time at the Krannert School of Business to get my MBA. I liked Lafayette for other reasons; was considering opening an antique store. I was newly married. I just couldn't figure out how to make the transition at that time, so I stayed in the Army, got transferred to Fort Lewis in Tacoma, then to Germany--never looked back. When I retired, an old Army buddy and I thought about starting a company that would hold on-line auctions. It was the Ebay concept, but he lived in one state and I in another, and he was also interested in opening a brew pub that featured barbeque -- called it "Brew and Q". He later got part of that venture off the ground. I went to grad school and got my MBA and stayed in the HR field. In retrospect, my risk tolerance was quite low both times. I took a fairly safe route. Too early to say what will happen this time. Lessons learned from experience for your consideration:

-If you have a good idea, it probably is.
    -If you have a good idea, someone else probably has the same idea. Your success may depend upon getting your concept to market first; or if you don't get there first, having a better marketing plan.
    -Most ideas aren't truly original.
    -It's better to try and not succeed than to not try at all.

This time around I have a mentor. I think that it may make a difference. This is someone that is in business for himself, but has a background in counseling. Great guy. He also happens to be my fishing partner. Try to find someone that's been down life's road a ways and is a good listener. Keep the options open for a while and limit the nonnegotiables. Taking a peek at "What Color Is Your Parachute" won't hurt. My copy is pretty well worn by now. This can be a very exciting time.

Dan

"There are none happy in the world but beings who enjoy freely a vast horizon."

14. mike doughty

Media:
    Home Page:
    ibn, i read about a chum run and resevoirs with trout up to 10 pounds, but have not had the opportunity to get out yet. i just got here last week.

15. aaron j

aaron j Member

Media:

I manage the seating and occasional table production at a furniture manufacturer in Woodinville. This involves CAD design, research and development, inventory control, quality control, human resources, babysitting, you name it. I speak Spanish most of the day as our work force of 60 plus is mostly Mexican. Hours can be long, pay is so-so, work environment is marginal. All things considered, it could be much worse.

Work to fish!
    Happiness is a tight line.
    aaron j

16. Ron Olsen

Ron Olsen Active Member

Great thread; wow, what a bunch of interesting career paths!
    I started out in the skiing business in New Hampshire after graduating from college there. Great fishing, tough skiing (will really teach you how to do it right on both counts) but very difficult to make a living. Figured that the hospitaility side of the recreation business was a little more consistent, and after a little more college retraining, was recruited of the WSU campus to a job with Westin Hotels in San Francisco.
    A great city, and many wonderful days at Tahoe, Feather River, Truckee River and of course, Putah Creek! Transferred back to Seattle hometown with Westin in 1978. Lasted a few years but got sacked by the food and beverage manager. Uncovered a sceme that defrauded customers on banquet bar tabs. Duly reported it, only to find that the F&B manager was running the scheme! Open mouth, insurt gun. Did learn about service, and taking care of customers; the golden rule. Then there is the other golden rule, them with the gold rules, so:
    Wanted to learn about finance, the real way things work and got a job at Rainier Bank. Found a nitch in banking munipalities, sort of a combinantion of investment banking, portfolio management, and cash management. Many mergers later, (and another sacking involving an antique shotgun...) am working for a community bank out of Cashmere, though continue to live in Kirkland. Sure wish they would open up the Wenatchee to C&R! Funny how things evolve. Don't really have to work too hard after 23 years of this, the business seems to find me. Never understimate the value of networks! And there is ample time to fish, ski, golf and bird hunt. Travels to municipalities covers most of the state at some point and there is always room for appropriate boy toys in the trusty Exploder. Hang in there, do what feels right, it probably is.
    Ronbow

17. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    I always wanted to be a graphic designer but fate had a different role in mind for me and I became a male prostitute. Old, young, big small, beautiful, plain - as a 'private dancer' I bone women every day for money.

' Oh yeah, tough job', I can hear you snicker . Yeah, the money's great but frankly I'm getting burned out. No one sees the real inner me, they don't look any deeper than my physical beauty and athletic bed skills. After all these years, it's just another boring, routine job. I'd really like to take some classes and get a real job in the computer industry . . .

"When you come to the fork in the road, take it." ~ Yogi Berra

18. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!

Whatever you do, don't become a sole proprietor in the landscape maintenance business! I am currently running on empty with just a trickle of cash flow, as my clients don't really need alot done right now. A few of them have property under spruce trees, so I clean up their property at least once a month and go check after big storms. Business doesn't pick up until things start growing again.
    About half of my clients are local retirees, the other half own vacation property here on the beach. They all seem to love my work, and i pick up all my new business from word-of-mouth referrals. This offsets the natural attrition rate due to elderly customers passing on from old age (been in the business for 12 years), or when someone sells their vacation property. I have worked as a cranberry farm laborer, concrete/construction casual laborer for contractor friends, cannery worker, and motel desk clerk to supplement this.
    I started doing this so I could control my time so that I could go surfing, windsurfing, and fishing when I wanted. However, I am about as burnt out on it as one can get. I am overdue for a change. I can close my eyes and visualize each property in detail down to nearly each and every blade of grass. I don't surf or windsurf anymore, but i am free to go fishing when I really want to.
    I don't owe anybody or the bank any money, and don't use consumer credit.
    I did manage to earn a BBA in Economics and Quantitative Analysis from the U. of Hawaii, which helps me rip apart balance sheets, income and cash-flow statements when I am doing my techno/fundamental analysis for investment purposes. I swing-trade about 50% of my Roth IRA. Mainly use Technical Analysis, an arcane voodoo that trumps analyst opinion anyday. I concentrate on small-caps and micro-caps that are profitable and fast-growing. Sometimes I "bottom fish," but usually I hop on and ride the momentum up and bail when it runs out of steam.
    I don't give out stock tips because things can change in an instant. You have to adhere to a good set of trading rules, or the pulsating blob of fear and greed that is the market will twist your head off the end of your neck-pipe, and cause you to make costly mistakes. Hope, greed, and fear will only kill you in the market. It is guerilla warfare with the devil, the REAL Darkside! I don't day trade, either. I'd quit it all, and just flyfish and travel if I could find me a Sugar Momma! (yeah, right!)

Jimbo

19. Paul Huffman

Paul Huffman Lagging economic indicator

Media:
    Home Page:

Say, aaron, there's one thing I always wondered about occasional chairs. What are they the rest of the time?

Me, I'm a scuba diver for roto-rooter. It doesn't pay that well, but it least it's more creative than my previous job as a proof reader at the M&M factory. I'm just thankful I haven't had to live in the Seattle area since 1979.

President-for-Life
    Moclips Surf Club
    Driven by Irrational Exuberance!

20. aaron j

aaron j Member

Media:

Occasionally, they're just a pile of wood. Hey, did you lose your job at the M&M factory because you threw out all the W's? ;-)

Happiness melts in your mouth, not in your hand.