(NFR) Lake Lenore sodium disposal 1947

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by peteK, Jan 17, 2007.

1. peteK New Member

Bellingham, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Came across this video of the quite explosive disposal of sodium barrels in Lake Lenore by the military a long time ago. Haven't fished the lake myself yet, but I know lots of you do, so I thought you might get a kick out of it. I don't think anyone could get away with that kind of thing today (thankfully)!

Lake Lenore Sodium Dispoal 1947
  2. Gary C. Brown Les Paul Lover

Maple Valley, WA, USA.
    That was very cool to see. You can bet that would not happen in today's environmrntally sensitive world.
  3. SuperDave New Member

.Spanaway, WA
    WOW! That ought to be widely circulated!

SuperDave
  4. Dick Warnke was Pram-Man

Federal Way Wa
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    That is amazing!!! Unbelievable the stuff that used to be done. You have to wonder if it was because nobody cared or just didn't know any better.
  5. Keith Hixson Active Member

College Place, Washington
    Ratings: +55 / 0
    I wonder how much enviromental damage was done? Maybe that's why the fish get so big in Lenore....:rofl:
    They really didn't understand the harm they might have been doing at that time. And maybe they didn't do an awful lot of long term harm. At that time there wasn't any fish in Lenore. I'm glad for stricter controls we have today.

KEH
  6. CovingtonFly B.O.H.I.C.A. bend over here it comes again

Covington, Wa
    Cool, I should have asked for Sodium for Christmas!
  7. Couleeflyfisher Member

Ratings: +5 / 0
    Thanks for the video, the disposal of these barrels in Lenore is well known by a few of the locals, I learned of it when I moved here in '77. I was not aware of the explosive reaction however, just knew the barrels contained chemicals dumped by the Military. There were also several bombing ranges about 10 mi. from town where pilots from the Ephrata air base were trained in the '40's. There were numerous plane crashes, as well as remnants from tanks, vehicles and ordinance that were collected by area residents. Pretty lively place in those days.
  8. wildatheartphoto Member

Monroe, WA
    Very nice!!! As a chemistry guy I have seen first hand the violent reaction of pure sodium and water...albeit not on that sort of scale. It would be pretty fun to get a hold of some sodium...it is actually available for purchase in small quantities for science experiments, etc...yes, you can buy it!!! Trust me...as small amount goes a long ways.
  9. sjterry Sr. Lurker

Bellevue, WA

I can see it now, a time release fly on a full sink line. GOT EM':beer1:
  10. Mingo the Menehune stole my beer

Happy Hour, WA
    Ratings: +377 / 1
    Don't kid yourself..............things happen every single day that make that video look like a Disney film, using chemicals that make metallic sodium seem like a packet of Koolaid in comparison. Not here (at least not very often) but in China, Southeast Asia, the Amazon basin, the middle east..............unbelievable acts of environmental devastation outside the scope of U.S. public scrutiny and sensibilities. Many parts of the world are anything but environmentally sensitive...........it is sad.

My buddy Tim exploded like that at Lenore once after three of my famous chili cheese dogs with a 24 ounce Newcastle.................:rofl: :rofl:
  11. Swandazi Kevin

Washington
    I'm not an expert of sodium, but

How would it effect the enviroment?

The sodium blew up, its all gone right?, its not like its mercurry and its mixed into the water?
  12. jeffw Member

Spokane, WA.
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    The reaction of sodium in water produces sodium hydroxide (NaOH), a strong alkali (or base) and hydrogen gas. Sodium hydroxide is the active ingredient in drain cleaner. Many years ago the environmental mantra was "dilution is the solution." That's why we used to dump tons of human poo in rivers and got away with it. Not any more. I gotta agree with Mingo on this. The amount of NaOH produced in this video probably had very little effect on the lake (I've never been there, so I don't really have an idea on its size) outside of the area around the explosions. I am much more concerned about the chemical dumping that occurs around the world. Agricultural chemicals and industrial waste--pretty frightening. Remember Love Canal?

The video was pretty cool, though! By the way, sodium is an essential ingredient in living beings.

Jeff
  13. Paul Huffman Lagging economic indicator

Yakima, WA.
    Ratings: +142 / 0
    Was Lenore fishless in 1947 as the video states?
  14. Scotty G I lost my hat

Salmon Creek, WA
    A sodium/Water reaction is rather tame in comparison with Potassium, Rubidium or Cesium. Each of these alkaline elements, in that order, reacting more violently with water. In now way am I a chemist, I just like exploding things. I will try to find some videos to show the differences in the reactions.
  15. Scotty G I lost my hat

Salmon Creek, WA
  16. Keith Hixson Active Member

College Place, Washington
    Ratings: +55 / 0
    Paul,

Lenore was fishless until stocked with Lahotan Cutthroats from Nevada.
    I believe it was first stocked sometime in the mid to late 70's. The lake has so much alkali that only a few species can survive there. One being Lahotan Cutthroats from Nevada.

KEH
  17. Dan Member

Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA.
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Reminds me of willie pete (WP). You Korea and Vietnam veterans will know what I'm talking about. That was some bad sh**.