NFR Lasik ?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by JasonG, Jan 7, 2012.

1. JasonG Active Member

Issaquah Wa
    Ratings: +41 / 0
    I was thinking about having my awful vision corrected by getting Lasik in the geater seattle area. Does anyone have any good advice on a quality place to go? Thank you in advance. Jason
  2. greenwater Member

Western, WA
    Ratings: +7 / 0
    Had mine done at Pacific Cataract and Laser Institute (PCLI) in Bellevue just over a year ago. Zero issues and its amazing waking up every morning and just being able to go. Really helped with fishing trips particularly an overnight hike.
  3. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +957 / 1
    My place closed down. You shouldn't get it done unless your correction has been stable for the last 3-4 years otherwise you will need glasses again shortly.

I've heard the UW hospital does a good job.
  4. jeff bandy Make my day

Edmonds, Wa.
    Ratings: +251 / 1
  5. jeff bandy Make my day

Edmonds, Wa.
    Ratings: +251 / 1
    Wife went to the same place in Belleview. Must have been 6 years ago. She had coke bottle bottoms for glasses. Border line blind without them. 20/20 now. Thought she has started to need readers for small print. Can't fix that. Caused by the lens getting stiffer with age.
  6. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +704 / 1
    I have heard PCLI (as greenwater suggests) is top rated. As this has become some common, you will no doubt get many responses from those who have had the procedure.

I've been debating on this question for a few years now myself. The big question is whether to correct both for near-sight (my main issue) and continue to wear glasses/readers/flip downs for close up or... have one done for near-sight and the other for far-sight thereby getting clear of glasses all together...or at least for some time? The second option spooks me a little bit. Has anyone had this done?
  7. JS Active Member

Ratings: +41 / 0
    Clearly Lasik. Changed my life, I would recomend it a million times over.
  8. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,324 / 9
    I had PRK done in the Navy while in operational staus. Two days of downtime and then back to full work with excellent vision. That was in 2001, ten years plus later and I'm still impressed at the difference in my vision and quality of life. Best of luck to you.
  9. Jeff Studebaker Kayak Fly Angler

Mount Vernon, Wa
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    I had mine done six years ago,
    at Rutnin-Gimbel eye hospital in Bangkok.
    They did a great job - vision is 20/20, so far.
    However, keep in mind your eyes will keep changing as you age.
    Although my distance vision is still great,
    I'm eventually going to need reading glasses.
  10. Dan Cuomo Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +62 / 0
    Anyone had this done after turning 50? If so how were/are the results?
  11. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +957 / 1
    Mine was done shortly after 50. So what if a person needs stronger reading glasses. It sure is nice being able to read road signs with no glasses.
  12. Citori Piscatorial Engineer

Federal Way, WA
    Ratings: +116 / 0
    I had mine done 15-20 years ago at Will Vision (Brian Will) in Vancouver. I am just now reaching for the reading glasses at night, or when print is very small. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Zero issues
  13. 1morecast Active Member

Port Angeles
    Ratings: +47 / 0
    I agree. I was dam near blind before surgery. My surgery was 15 years ago. I am 56 and I wear glasses at night for driving, cheaters for tying flies. My Opt. can not believe I am not wearing glasses for reading, I do know that day is coming.
  14. jumbo215 Jasper hickman

lake forest park, wa
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    I had mine done by dr struab in bellvue and its been awsome, also I get free tune ups for life if I get an annual eye exam there! My only regret is not taking the drugs, I went totally sober and it was really weird. Also dr struab has nice eye candy walking around, a nice bonus. My insurance covered most of it also so check your plan!
  15. gearhead Active Member

Renton, wa
    Ratings: +45 / 0
    had mine done 7 years ago, changed my life, no more fogging glasses on cold and hot days, i can wear sunglasses, not more itchy dry eyes, tear drop bottles, and contacts to mess with. my vision has stayed the same so far, very very good. recently however decided to get reading glasses for very small print and map reading. best thing i have ever done.....
  16. steelydan Newb seeking wisdom

Sammamish WA
    Ratings: +27 / 0
    My doc narrowly avoided being a murder victim at the request of his partner at the time.
    My vision is excellent but now I need readers to tie a size 18 on 6X.
    I gave up close-up vision for distance.
    No regrets.
  17. Rick Todd Active Member

Ferndale/Winthrop
    Ratings: +233 / 0
    I'm 63 and had it done in Vancouver BC 12 years ago. I was great for about 5 years (20/20) then started to change. I'm about 20/30 and 20/35 now. I have elected to not do another correction as I needed readers all along and I found it more convenient (even when I was 20/20) to wear glasses with bifocals on the bottom and clear glass above. So adding some correction on top was very easy to do. I hate wearing readers on croakies or in my pocket so I'm just resigned to wearing glasses! Most of my outdoor activities I use polaroid lenses or shooting glasses. The only time I would like to be 20/20 is for skiing with goggles, but I see well enough that I can ski OK with no correction.
  18. Bob Neal Member

Maple Valley, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I check eyeballs for a living and since they won't let me play with those big fancy lasers I have to refer my patients away. I refer to PCLI Bellevue and am thrilled with the care they provide. That said...between Seattle and Bellevue there are a bunch of top notch surgeons to choose from. The above comments are correct regarding your near vision. It will (hopefully) make your distance vision great but at some point in your 40-somethings or so you'll need some reading glasses.
  19. Ryan Ferrill New Member

Wet side of the Gorge, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I just had mine done Friday (1/6) at the Clearly Lasik in Vancouver. I had a follow up appt. Saturday morning and was reading the 20/15 line... I'd highly recommend it! I'm pretty sure they have a clinic up there somewhere too. It probably goes without saying, but the eyes aren't something you want to look for a "discount" on. Dr. King has a ridiculous number of surgeries under his belt!

Good luck... you'll love it if you do!
  20. sashjo Member

Lakewood, WA.
    Ratings: +4 / 0

The lens gets stiff and intraocular muscles become weak. You "fix" it by correcting one eye for reading and one for distance.