NFR: metal detector guys

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by JesseC, Jul 4, 2013.

1. JesseC Active Member

seattle, wa
    Ratings: +721 / 0
    Been hitting the local beaches with the family the last couple of days and have seen two sets of dudes at each spot wanding their metal detectors looking for buried treasure. They did this for about 4 hours. It made me really want to glue an old iPhone to a spincaster.

How is that fun?
    What possesses people to do this?
    Do you ever find anything besides old cans of bud light?
    Eyejuggler likes this.
  2. dfl Active Member

Sequim WA
    Ratings: +130 / 0
    You, I suspect, have spent a respectable amount of time and money buying equipment, traveling, and standing in water waving an artificial stick in the air to catch a fish you then turn loose and you think that they are strange!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Fella, we are the weird ones.
  3. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +539 / 0
    It just occurred to me that steelhead fly anglers are no different than the guys with metal detectors. In fact, after consuming a couple of beers to help dull the seasonal shell shock, I propose they are one and the same. Is a fly rod with a gaudy concoction on the end of its line not a "metal detector?" And don't try to tell me that you've never snagged an empty Bud Lite can.
    Pat Lat, constructeur and Kent Lufkin like this.
  4. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,260 / 1
    I've been going it since the early 70's. The new units let you discriminate most of the junk before you would dig.
    What makes it fun? Never knowing what you might dig up.
    Old silver coins, gold rings, silver watches, commemorative metals are a few of the things that make it boring as shit. Why would anyone be possessed to want to find that kind of stuff?
    SF
  5. Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Columbia Basin
    Ratings: +603 / 0
    I was offered a metal detector as a service award several years ago. Being mercenary, since it was worth more than anything else in which I saw a future useful purpose & it was a tool I didn't own, I opted for the detector. The day it arrived, I used it to locate a buried sprinkler head I needed to elevate. I've used it since to find metal "things" other than treasure (altho I did find an 1856 Standing Liberty 1/2 dollar one day, which was pretty cool.). As long as folks are enjoying themselves with their hobbies, more power to them. At 65, I also play with RC off-road cars . . . great fun for the grandson & I (my Lego attention span is rather short), and they're easier to work on than full-size off-roaders. Whatever floats your boat & it isn't always possible to fish . . .
  6. _WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Skagit River
    Ratings: +643 / 0
    Well...you ain't gonna like this, but, I have never done that...not a single time, ever.
  7. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,727 / 0
    I hooked a Jim Beam bottle once. I think Old Man had fished there before me.
    constructeur likes this.
  8. IveofIone Active Member

Ratings: +1,034 / 0
    Find a meteorite worth several thousand dollars and it will all start to make sense.

Ive
    dryflylarry and Richard Torres like this.
  9. Ron McNeal Turtles or universes? I can't decide....

Poulsbo, WA
    Ratings: +138 / 0
    I don't own a metal detector, but I completely understand ("get") the fun of owning/using one.
    Irafly likes this.
  10. wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

Wallingford, WA
    Ratings: +1,544 / 0
    Great, now the banner adds are all about metal detectors. Thanks Jesse. Can we write more about bikinis and latex bodysuits instead? Someone please do a thread titled "Let's talk about latex bodysuits" Or "What latex bodysuit goes well with a 5wt?"

Tooling round in my back yard I managed to find unsophisticated layered middens of ferrous and nonferrous (ie aluminum) metals along with evidence of primitave forging and glass smelting and smashing characteristic of continuous occupation by the Assholepeople (Fratolopithicus), and /or Roofing Nail Pithicus. These may have some semblance to trashfire sites that suggest continuous occupation for hundreds of years around places like Cleveland and Northern New Jersey. I don't need a metal detector, just a shovel to dig up the refuse. Although subsurface, frost heaves and bluebells help migrate the loot to the surface each spring, particularly the glass, which has a 10 cent bouty for my kids and those of you who really groove on finding artifacts from another time yet can't really make ends meet.

I think on a more fundamental level though there are collectors and there are those that don't collect. Obsessive loners love collecting. And I'm not being perjoritive there, that personality type doesn't give a damn what others think of them. Combine that with a kind of anticipatory excitement of you may hit it big at any point, the reward mechanisms of instant gratifications, it is a little like prospecting, you are under the assumption that any point you are about to find that meteorite, that gold nugget, or whatever. It is probably neurochemical mediated. The radio-shack demographic of a metal detector devotee is bimodal- 8-12 year old boys and 50-70 year old men, with a baseline of hard core types that could tell you more, a lot more, if you were really interested.
    Jim Wallace likes this.
  11. Richard Torres Active Member

Mill Creek
    Ratings: +76 / 0
    Don't get Jesse started W B.

I agree. They do a great job of finding property corners set 100 years ago such as old railroad spikes, iron pipes, or axles buried 3 feet down in the middle of a road. Don't know what we do without them except a lot more digging.
  12. Richard Torres Active Member

Mill Creek
    Ratings: +76 / 0
    I won't be privy here, (pun intended) but is it possible that you discovered one? The mind wonders what amazing artifacts could be found that our forefathers lost/dropped while reading in their libraries.
  13. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,727 / 0
    WTF did he say? Dammit, I wished I would have paid more attention in school instead of spending all that time dreaming of girls in bikinis and latex bodysuits.
    Jim Wallace and wadin' boot like this.
  14. Big E Moderator

Coon Bay
    Ratings: +364 / 0
    I bought one when I was in Utah and had great fun with it. Not only was it fun to do actual detecting but I found the most enjoyable part was to research places and the stories that go along with them and then to go and actually try and find them. I visited lots of ghost towns in the Unitas and learned a lot about the mining history and military encampments. Not much was found in the way of valuables but the memories I have were worth it. I also had it when I went to England for a while. Found some old romans and even a gold coin.
    Richard Torres likes this.
  15. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +704 / 1
    It's a blast Jesse. My wife has one and we take it on trips with us and, where legal, find bottle caps, nails, tent spikes, railroad spikes, old aluminum foil, old food cans, hand tools, set of keys, several rings (one gold) and... a few dozen files in the popular FAS's :). Someone must have dumped a fly box of size 16-24 midge patterns at the Henneberry FAS. My wife found a dozen in the gravel where we happened to park. There are a few old mines in MT that have kept us busy for hours... but unless you're a person who likes garage sales or flea markets, it's probabaly not for you.
  16. Mark Walker Active Member

So. Cal.
    Ratings: +220 / 1
    Dry washing for gold in desert a bit SE of Twentynine Palms, Ca. several years back now, my friend turned up a 4oz nugget with his detector!
    My largest was about a quarter oz. Dug lots of bullets/nail, etc. but had great fun.
  17. JesseC Active Member

seattle, wa
    Ratings: +721 / 0
    Haaaa. You got me on this one. :)

I guess it's only insanity from the outside looking in.
  18. Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Mount Vernon, WA
    Ratings: +105 / 0
    Payed for all my camera equipment with the gold rings I've found, plus the twenty dollar St. Gaudens gold piece made my day once, have a photo somewhere on my puter
  19. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +704 / 1
    I never could figure out how people loose rings, particularly out camping...what's with that? Coins falling out pockets as they do the morning contortion drill trying to slide into britches I get, but who takes rings off?
  20. Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Mount Vernon, WA
    Ratings: +105 / 0
    Find all or most gold rings in swimming areas with my waterproof machine lot of my hunting Lake WA swim areas and old resorts and boathouses