NFR: No Solution, just dead kids...

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Go Fish, Dec 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    OMG Larry, we agree, I, a gun owner advocate, think the NRA has it's head up its collective ass...!!!

Flyborg likes this.
  2. SteveA

SteveA Gnu to the board

No choosing to believe, or not. Was just interested in your claimed facts. Discovered one "fact" was in fact, false. The other I couldn't verify.

I don't get my facts from forums or blogs of any kind. If I did, I would now believe that President Obama was responsible for rising ammunition prices, in part because the practice of allowing the sale of spent casings from military use "was ordered stopped by the Obama administration".

The desire to believe something true is not enough to make it so.

dfl likes this.
  3. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    Oh heck Roper, I agree with a lot of things you post! Believe it or not. I was going to note your earlier post ...something about banning guns. I don't think anyone mentioned that on this post on this thread but, maybe I didn't read it. Don't misunderstand me, I have been interested in buying a handgun, one of these days perhaps. I need more flyrods instead! I think one simple thing is for all gun owners to "LOCK" those things in a safe place so any one of those crazy family members don't get there hands on them. (and we know everyone's got some crazy family member!!!).........

Roper likes this.
  4. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

Media:
    When you can kill me with your cheeseburger, you might have a point.

dfl and dryflylarry like this.
  5. fifafu

fifafu Guest

I feel like guns are easy to blame but the issue that we need to deal with is the epidemic of broken and fatherless homes.

Ban divorce. It would do more to stop this garbage.

6. Kcahill

Kcahill Active Member

Go look up how many accidents happen while texting or eating and driving.

7. Go Fish

Go Fish Language, its a virus

Media:
    Thanks to those that put some thought into
    this issue and posted ideas for change.

The mental health issue was one I hadn't
    considered and maybe the biggest reason
    for this horror. However the easy access to
    weapons, stolen or purchased, seems to make
    this problem even worse. The ability for most
    anyone to own a gun makes me nervous. I
    know people that shouldn't even be out in public
    let alone own a dog.

Dave

dfl, triploidjunkie and dryflylarry like this.
  8. gearhead

gearhead Active Member

Well for my part i am going to step away from this. Like many if not all of us, i hit the roof when the number went from three dead to almost thirty, absolutely devasting, for me, so i cant even imagine, what those families are going thru, just f-ing terrible. i guess having this soundboard, as an oppurtunity to vent, fight, squabble etc etc, is a heck of alot better than punching holes in the walls of my house because thats what i still want to do.

triploidjunkie and wadin' boot like this.
  9. Brian Miller

Brian Miller Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout

Media:
    I am so saddened. My Dad was mentally ill; I love him and I miss him. Living with mental illness is something I will never forget. Some of the institutional treatments he endured in the 50s were barbaric. My brothers and I were given BB and 5mm pump pellet rifles but there were no firearms in our house, for a very good reason.

Back on my knees...

Sent from my Droid RAZR Maxx using Tapatalk 2

10. Jeff Sawyer

Jeff Sawyer Active Member

Media:
    I'm heartbroken for those families. I'm a gun owner and believe in the right for law abiding citizens to keep and bare arms. With that said I'd melt every one of mine down if I thought it would save a single child, or spare one parent that anguish. But I honestly don't don't believe gun control is the answer, but I do think it's time for all of us on both sides of this argument to have a civil discussion about what is possible, what makes sense and what might prevent this in the future.

I don't pray often, but I do pray that those families find some comfort.

dfl, bitterroot and Roper like this.
  11. wadin' boot

wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

Home Page:
    Jerry it would be a shame to shut down the thread, far as I can tell this is the main and most important and least fun office/christmas/party and other discussion I've heard in the last few days. Sure it needs a political solution but the matters at hand concern domestic terrorism and mental illness. Terrorists don't play by the rules, nor do the mentally ill. These matters are of domestic security and national health. These matters are of vital importance as parents, friends and colleagues to think about, to be aware of and to prepare for in order to prevent this crap happening again. The status quo should disturb everyone, it should make everyone uncomfortable. Some of that disturbance may come out political, as ideas that seem contradictory, some of the tempers are heated, but by and large most of the posts here seem civil and concerned, with far more common ground than division. A lot of us grieve those kids and those teachers in the only way we constructively can, thinking and talking- defining the problem, learning from it and working on proposals to fix it. It would be a shame to shut it down.

12. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

This is well-said Dave. But it just seems hard to construct restrictions that apply only to the people who shouldn't own guns. There are so many guns in circulation. And while the issue certainly includes guns due to their efficient ability to kill large numbers of people, issues like mental illness and more are also wrapped into it. It's complicated. I hope we can solve it thoughtfully.

13. gearhead

gearhead Active Member

well im back, last one had to vent....NBC has a movie on right now about a man whos daughter was killed in a school shooting, (liberty stands) so he takes an arms dealers wife hostage to promote his gun control stance. he threatens to kill a small boy, shoots a cop, kills the son of an NRA lawyer, forces the women to undress in public, and has her chained to a bomb in a public park, to force her husband to cancel an arms order, and oh by the way, he's using an AR15 platform, who woulda guessed....and the movie is only half way thru.......this is no accident, its NBC's statement. so this is how antigun morons think??? i guess, the end justifies the means....i mean really......wtf!!!!!

14. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Media:
    One close to home not naming names in Skagit county but starts with Z and ends ra, a mental patient the courts seemed fit for a leave and leave he did six dead, thank god they finally sent him to prison, they were worried about the other people at the other institution.

15. dfl

dfl Active Member

Jerry, how bout a NFR section like fly tying et.al.

16. lylelovett666

lylelovett666 Active Member

We have armed men making sure nobody robs a bank.How about the same concern for our kids.

17. Kaiserman

Kaiserman Phil 4:11-13

Temporarily on earth, longing for home...

Really? What are they suppose to say? And why are "we" asking them anything? That's like going to Verizon, Apple, AT&T, etc. and asking them to comment on all the people killed in car accidents from folks talking or texting on their cell phones while driving.

fifafu likes this.
  18. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

I just saw the police report from CT. The entire shooting took place in just 2 minutes, from 9:36-9:38 AM that morning. 26 people murdered in 2 minutes. Anyone doubt that the death toll would have been lower had the weapon been a knife, bomb, or anything other than a semi-auto assault rifle?

That same day in China, a man attacked an elementary school class with a knife, injuring 20 but killing none. I'll bet there would have been many deaths if that attacker had a Bushmaster like the guy in CT.

I have an academic question: How did we as a nation arrive at the collective wisdom that it's a good idea to make semi-auto assault weapons, high-capacity magazines, and ammo designed to explode inside bodies broadly available? Again, this is an academic question because the genie is out of the bottle on this score, and I'm pretty sure we'll need to live with the situation as-is. I just want to know how we got to this point. What was the rationale?

Jim Wallace likes this.
  19. wa_desert_rat

wa_desert_rat Active Member

Home Page:
  20. fifafu

fifafu Guest

Let's keep the facts straight. He didn't own any guns or use an assault rifle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.