(NFR) Pontoon Boat Opinions

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by David Dalan, Sep 6, 2007.

1. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

I'm planning on buying a pontoon boat, but honestly I haven't a clue which ones are reliable and which are total crap. I'm looking for somthing that can take a beating, possibly two seats (probably one), rod holders, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Somebody here HAS to have an opinion...please share it :)

Thanks,

2. jcalderon

jcalderon Member

ANYTHING but creek company........ I bought one hoping to keep the cost low, however, I am nervous everytime I am on it because something always comes apart. Needless to say I am now looking for another..... I would try Bucks Bags. Pacific Fly Fishers in mill creek has most models in stock. I would start there. Outcast boats are also Bad Arse!

3. Wayne Kohan

Wayne Kohan fish-ician

You should get plenty of opinions and if you haven't already done a search on this site, you should. If you want something to last and take a beating, don't buy anything cheap. I have a Scadden and it's great. As are Outcasts and it sounds like Buck's Bags are good. you need to decide what you want it for - lakes, easy rivers, white water, because that will make the biggest difference in what you get. The add ons such as rod holders are just that, add ons and can be added to any boat. Get a wheel for it if you plan on going to Lenice or other walk in lakes....

Wayne

4. jabseattle

jabseattle jabs

ditto on Wayn'es post.. Need to figure out where it will be used most, but Buck's Bags and Outcast boats get my vote. I've had a Buck's bags for many years and it's been down some narly shizzle..

5. Matt Roelofs

Matt Roelofs Member

6. seatownbrock

seatownbrock Still in the 206.....

I have an Outcast Discovery Stainless 9 with Scotty fly rod holders and I love it. Quality boat, and it lets me take camping gear or a full cooler full of beer along with my 230 lb weight.

Check out craigslist... there are some quality boats for pretty cheap.

7. Ed Johnston

Ed Johnston Fly4Fish

I own an Outcast PAC 800. I got it from a guy who was getting out of flyfishing for $500, retails for around $1050. The deals are out there. I love the 800 but plan to by a new Outcast in the Spring. I want a 10 footer for a higher class rapid, and over night trips. I'll keep the 800 for a spare. Outcast is an awesome boat.

8. Happy Gilmore

Happy Gilmore New Member

You might want to consider Dave Scadden's new (no info online at all yet) 10'6" Skykomish Sunrise 2008 H2LP, he knocked the weight down to his 9's at 50 lb's and it has a 800 lb load rating. Lower profile pontoons as well for less wind drag/manipulation and enhanced maneuvreability. AND he has stock (not always a certainty). Mine should arrive tomorrow! Outpacs/Scadden's as noted, hard to go wrong. You didn't note budget....if a factor good to set first to avoid heartbreak near end of decision.

PS Scadden's got an 11' that can be one or two man....I decided to get the one man/if my wife ends up liking this I'll be ecstatic and have no issue getting a 2nd. She's quite independent so would likely want her own single anyhow.

Enjoy your search and I don't know about others but I quite enjoyed my chats with Dave Scadden and a few of his staff. I'd have had no idea on his new boat and ordered the 9' Madison River H2 which would have been good but I got many advantages with the 08 L2H2 and no disadvantages I'm aware of yet.

PSS, I've had it impressed on me by several to go with composite/carbon oars over typical aluminum. just a comment/see what your research turns up. I opted for it.

9. Ed Johnston

Ed Johnston Fly4Fish

Thanks for the information. I will check into the new Scadden 9 footer, 800# load rating for a 9 footer sounds good.

10. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

No worries. I had a n00b moment. I guess pontoons probably have been discussed before on this board :beathead:

For those who mentioned it, I'll be using it on rivers almost exclusively.

Thanks for all the replies!