(NFR) PS Steelhead ESA listing?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by ChrisW, Dec 20, 2005.

1. ChrisW

ChrisW AKA Beadhead

OK I am totally going on memory here, I seem to remember a proposal being considered to list Puget Sound Steelhead under the Endangered Species Act?

But on a recent search I couldn't find anything. Did I imagine this?

With year after year of declining runs it seems that this is at least a worthy discussion to be having.

ChrisW

2. ray helaers

ray helaers New Member

A petition was filed in Sep 04 to list PS steelhead as either Threatened or Endangered. In spring 05, NOAA made a finding to review the petition and began a "12-month" Status Review in order to make a listeing decision (the 12 months timed from the Sep 04 petition). That made a final decision due in Sep 05. Guess what? NOAA missed its deadline; nothing to get upset about, pretty par for the course really.

NOAA has said a decision is forthcoming soon. It has been a bit tied up in the whole anadromous/resident O.mykiss issue that NOAA has been wrestling with on all of the existing steelhead listings. NOAA has proposed a policy wherein resident rainbows and anodromous steelhead will be counted as seperate populations for the purposes of listing decisions (that's a whole 'nother debate). I believe we are in the middle of the puboic-comment process for that proposal. When that is over and the new policy is finalized, we will see revised listing decisions for all currently listed ESUs (apparently no changes except that Upper Columbia steelhead - Methow/Entiat/Wenatchee populations - will be downgraded to Threatened from Enadangered, another whole 'nother debate), and everyone expects to see the PS listing decision to come out at that time, Jan or Feb probably.

This post will probably prove me wrong, but I beleive it would be hard to find anyone serious who doesn't believe a listing for PS steelhead is biologically warranted. It's hard to tell at this point, though, whether that would stop NOAA from denying the petition.

A listing for PS steelhead will probably be little skin off any angler's nose, as the Stilly, Sky, and other PS rivers will probably never reopen for wild winter steelhead regardless, and the Skagit will probably close soon too. It probably should already be closed.

(How's that for a re-entry: three whole 'nother debates in one post.)

3. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Nice to hear from you again. :thumb: :thumb: But you'll probably catch hell from the ones that like to argue. But like I said,it is good to hear you are out and about.

Jim

4. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

Welcome back Ray!!

We have missed your prespective on some of these issues.

In honor of your return I'll save the debates for another posting.

Tight lines
    Curt

5. o mykiss

o mykiss Active Member

Yes, welcome back Ray. (At least I hope "re-entry" means you're back for good!)

6. Desmond Wiles

Desmond Wiles Sir Castaline

Media:
    Wecome back Ray! Good post.

7. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Media:
    Home Page:
    OOFDAH!:thumb:

8. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    Welcome back. This is like an early Christmas Present ;)