(NFR) Registered Voters on this site?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by fatwhitedog, Jan 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

Mountlake Terrace, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Registered Voters on this site?

My brother quit voting 20 years ago. Asked why, he answers "It only encourages them". And no, he has had nothing to do with the prison system.
  2. Stephen Rice Senior Member

Wasilla, Alaska
    Ratings: +0 / 0

Are you clairvoyant?

I have been voting since I was 18 and haven't missed one vote yet!
  3. Whitey Active Member

Far side of the moon
    Ratings: +185 / 0

no message
  4. Florian Leischner o_clarki

Olympia, WA.

You are not smelling a felon, I am not a citizen, but I love this country as much as my home country, the land of the brown trout. Thanks for the writing compliment, you don't write so bad yourself, with your american school education.:rofl j.k.
  5. hotdog New Member

Seattle, Washington.

Of course I'm a registered voter...
  6. BOBLAWLESS New Member

Port Ludlow, WA, USA.

Tight Loops

My dear friend, Rob,

Too bad your brother wasn't shown some enviromental issues and how the two parties came down on them.. He might have voted after that...

Bob, the there is no them; there's a right and a wrong and you've got to look for it.:beer2
  7. riverdog Member

Chehalis, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1 / 0

Not only am I registered, and vote, I vote TWICE.

Just kidding. Although mail in ballots have made voting much easier and probably have increased voter turnout, I have a tradition of taking my son with me to vote at the polling place. Hopefully something will rub off.

Drew
  8. Stephen Rice Senior Member

Wasilla, Alaska

Very true and I really don't want to be an ASS:+
    Steve
  9. Ken Hunter Member

Shoreline, Wa, USA.

Seems like the only way to vote is with a ring in your nose, a party line vote. With the country voting 50/50 as a whole, how can anything get done by excluding half of the politicions. Your in the hole before you even start.

Another way to look at it is to ask who has been in power in your fishless region over the years. Do they just pay lip service to you at election time and then vote with the big money?

Ken
  10. Oneweight Member

Seattle, Washington.

yes, and your point is?
  11. Ken Hunter Member

Shoreline, Wa, USA.

With the fish runs in such great shape, maybe we should look at what they do instead of what they say.

Most good legislation gets passed with help from both parties. If the special interest group only works with half of the decision makers, you get what we have now, gridlock.

Ken
  12. Kalm Member

Cheney, The Dry Side

Tiderips,

I'm totally perplexed by your cryptic statements. Can you be more specific?

Kalm
    -the america hating, tree hugging, big government loving, high tax celebrating, nose ring envying liberal. And yes, I vote.
  13. Teeg Stouffer Fish Recycler

Omaha, NE / Council Bluffs, IA

You bet I vote.

I also do what I can in between, like contacting my congressmen and senators, and let them know what I think about stuff.

I also contact other government leaders - the folks in the agencies - to let them know what I think, both if I support what they're doing and if I'm against it.

Teeg
    -------------------------------------------------
    You can be a fish recycler, too. Let 'em swim.
    www.recycledfish.org
  14. Ken Hunter Member

Shoreline, Wa, USA.

Kalm,

If you hack off 50% of the people who make the laws, you can never get enough votes. Just think if you could get 75% of the people behind a good idea. It happens from time to time. You can see it when they vote 75% yes with little debate. That never happens when you can't even have a cup of coffee with the other side because they are so upset with the way that have been trashed.

Just my 2 cents to try to get us out of the fishless situation we have in many steelhead and salmon areas these days.

Ken
  15. need2fish New Member

God Bless America!!!!

I vote!!!

"Vote Early and Vote Often"
    -Daley (I think)

Andrew, The Compassionate Conservative!
  16. fatwhitedog New Member

a place on the OlyPen, Wa.

4\4 voters: Vote each election in the four years between presidential elections. There are 1\4-2\4-3\4 voters…1\4 voters are usually only one issue voters anyway.

Politics and fishing and preservation go hand in hand. It’s not possible to be effective by one method alone. Voting helps, activism helps, and active participation sometimes means that you have to go to the ‘otherside’ to see what is happening, and how the process works.

The percentages are a lot lower when it comes to active voters and registered voters, in this state especially. A minority number of folks vote, and as a result they have the people in power.

Bob and Ryan suggested the email route with the form letter. Great idea, but not effective. Paper letters signed by a real voter carry more weight in the political arena. In person townhall meetings face to face carry even more weight.

And, did you know that you can write a piece of legislation, and give it to your reps and ask them to read it and stand by it and help to push it through the legislature? Not the Initiative way…but a real live Rep working on it if you push and have a good piece of work to offer a solid solution to a problem.

I am certain that some folks will call me boring and long winded…but open minds or closed minds…if you want to reap a harvest of change…focus and knowing the political ins and outs is the way to make change. Work from the inside with the rules and with the legislature. Debate and dissent are always good. Some folks don’t know what that is and think it’s an extremist viewpoint. Whatever.

Now…you may need to get in touch with those right wing wackos Andy and approach them from the hunting and gun issue side to get what you want. They need habitat to hunt in and hunters’ rights are big with the right-wingers. Where there’s hunting habitat, there’s fishing habitat that goes with it.
  17. luv2fly2 Active Member

.othello
    Ratings: +29 / 0

i display the american flag. i voted for j.f.k. in 1960 and have been casting my vote since and will do so in the upcoming election. i do not know what rep. and dem. means and dont care as i vote for the person and what he stands for. great post. keep politics out of this site.
  18. Kalm Member

Cheney, The Dry Side

O.K., know I think I'm getting your point.

I'm not that well versed on salmon recovery, but just as with politics in general, aren't both sides guilty of trashing each other. Isn't that strife part of what makes this country great?

Are you suggesting that good ideas only happen as a result of cooperation from both sides? Those who battled for civil rights might argue with that notion. Maybe that's a poor analogy. If so, how do the political aspects of salmon recovery in this state differ?
  19. bhudda heffe'

basement
    Ratings: +111 / 0

schmokin'reel!!!

No i dont , and im pluggin in the fan}(
  20. Nailknot Active Member

Cascadia
    Ratings: +11 / 0

Whew! I was confused, but now all is clear. Thanks Fatwhite dog.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.