NFR: Suggestions on buying a SLR Camera Lens (Christmas present content).

Discussion in 'Photography / Video' started by Chris Puma, Dec 17, 2007.

1. Josh

Josh dead in the water

While I agree that darkroom time can be fun, a b&w developing class is going to be of little use to someone with a Canon XTi. As the XTi is a digital SLR.

2. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

The EF-S 17-85 IS is my go-to lens for general purpose stuff. It's a little slow, but the IS helps with that. If you use the lens hood with it, make sure you have an external flash. Otherwise you'll get hood shadow on close subjects using the pop-up flash.

3. Jon Bial

Jon Bial Chasing the Magic

4. Josh

Josh dead in the water

There are those who would tell you to take Ken's "reviews" with a grain of salt. Actually, there are those who would say worse than that. Some love his site, some hate it.

I myself prefer to look at the forums of sites like photo.net and dpreview.com for average user opinions.

5. Chris Puma

Chris Puma hates waking up early

i made my decision! i went to the camera shop and tried out a few lenses. i went with the canon 18-55 with image stability. it's cheap enough where i can buy her some more presents. it'll give her some wide angle feel as well.

thanks everyone!

[​IMG]

6. Dan Nelson

Dan Nelson Hiker, Fisher, Writer, Bum

iagree

I've used this lens professional for nearly a decade and it has paid for itself countless times. With the Image Stabilization, it's a nice general purpose lens that fits that mid-zoom range very well, and is a great one-lens option for hiking/backpacking/hike-in fishing. Primary draw back is the digital conversion factor of 1.6 means the low end (28mm) is really a 44 mm so I typically add a 10-22mm zoom to cover my wide angle needs.

7. Jay Allyn

Jay Allyn The Poor-Student Fly Fisher

This is my go to lens also for my photojournalism classes.